Ruger Forum banner

Who's going Turkey hunting, can you?

771 views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  3Recon 
#1 ·
Out west in Oregon season starts April 15th for residents only during the COVID19 pan. We also have in place a limited movement request from or Governor. Me I'd have to travel 80 miles which is not bad. I normally flat tow jeep and park at RV park(closed) I may wait until the first of May.
Out here a lot of folks are getting a form of "cabin fever" but, you can dead and their gong to and getting outfitted in these small rural communities and they don't like the growth.
What's your state doing in these changing times?
No problem with Social Distancing just me and Tom ;) for a dinner guest

#2 ·
We have a “stay in place “ order here in Missouri but I plan on hunting, I’ve been hittin the mouth call for 3 months now........if anyone gets within 1000ft of me, you’re trespassing.

Good luck on the spring bird.

#3 ·
This time next week I will be in camp. Our Governor keeps extending the Shelter In Place order, but I'm going hunting. I plan to drive non-stop taking all supplies with me. I will have to get fuel for the return trip. That will be my only exposure to other humans. My three days in the woods hunting Tom is necessary for my sanity. I can't wait to be outdoors. At this point if I get a gobbler that would just be icing on the cake. I just want to walk in the woods with a shotgun.

#4 ·
I'm not a turkey hunter per se. I won't be sitting in the woods all camo'd up and calling them in. We have turkeys on our property and during the season I'll keep a shotgun handy in case a shot presents itself. 50/50 chance we'll have turkey to eat sometime in the next few weeks.

#5 ·
Turkeys galore where I live up here in Maine. Been scouting the past few days and found a couple of great spots to set up. They're already out struttin' their stuff. The smoker is ready to accommodate.

#6 ·
Here in the east end of OR I lost interest in hunting them when the state released some years ago. It's gotten so the first chore after any storm is cleaning turkey **** off the steps and covered porches. They would present all the sport of going to the chicken coop. Even using the shooting bench on the back porch only scatters them for an hour or so.

Reactions: American
#7 ·
Most people I hear of who have yard turkeys, turkeys in their yards. The turkey's become yard pets minus the petting :eek: No problems here they are a good looking bird but they do need to be harvested. Calling them is a joy and when a Tom responds wow, it's time to mimic and get him to come in closer and closer and be in a shooting lane limited movement...……ding, ding dinners on.:D

#8 ·
I love spring turkey hunting and I love eating turkey, but as we have to stay in a motel and eat in restaurants where we hunt, we reluctantly cancelled our hunt this year. We have no huntable population close to home.

#10 ·
Sorry for the delay, fall Jakes are tasty also. Just a little harder to get their attention while their still flocking. I find it easier with them when they first come off roost. be selective if you can. Tom's are best but, harvesting is just that.
Enjoy and be safe

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.