Ruger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
6,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Why not a .38 / .357 revolver, with the variety of rounds that miss / meet / exceed 9 mm? No moon clip hassle?
Seems like insisting on putting a square peg in a round hole.

EDIT : I realized too late this should be in generic "Pistols & Revolvers" , but most of the 9 revolvers discussed are Rugers. I'll take my beating now....:oops:

·
Registered
4,616 Posts
Every time they think they've found the holy grail of cartridges they push it until it ends up where it shouldn't be.

·
Registered
Rugers: Model 19122 pc 9 , American Competion
3,332 Posts
Why not a .38 / .357 revolver, with the variety of rounds that miss / meet / exceed 9 mm? No moon clip hassle?
Seems like insisting on putting a square peg in a round hole.

EDIT : I realized too late this should be in generic "Pistols & Revolvers" , but most of the 9 revolvers discussed are Rugers. I'll take my beating now....:oops:
The .38sp not really my thing, but the .357 is in a class of its own to me. Both in revolvers and levers. If it were not for the rim, I would trade my 9mm fetish for it.
I cannot see the reason for loading 9x19 into a revolver. We agree 100%

·
Registered
250 Posts
I often wonder the same thing. They’ve used moon clips and half moon clips for 9mm in a .38/.357 revolver and .45ACP in a .45 Colt revolver, but I don’t understand a revolver chambered specifically for 9x19 that still requires clips. Maybe the popularity of Jerry’s use of them for his rapid fire records are driving it.

·
Registered
Ruger Rimfire Junkie
345 Posts
I bought a Ruger American Compact to do my CCW license and a 1000 round box of Blazer 9mm FMJ.
After 300+- rounds through the Compact I decided that I'm a revolver kinda guy!
So having 700ish rounds of 9mm hardball on the shelf I decided a Ruger Blackhawk Convertible needed to be added to the fleet.
.357/.38SPL/ 9mm (no moon clips needed) is the way to go for me :cool:

Rex

·
Super Moderator
6,650 Posts
The 9mm in something like an LCR? Hmm, won’t do anything a .38 +p or .357 won’t do plus the reputation for crimp jump, dependent on moon clips for a rapid reload, it’s only appeal is if someone wants a backup gun in the same cartridge as his main gun. A revolver does have advantages, especially in some kinds of deep cover where the muzzle might be pressed into the target which would unlock the slide on an auto.
But for a comp gun such as the S&W, it’s a game gun. Your moon clips are a fraction of a second faster than speed loaders. The titanium cylinder has minimal mass to improve the double action pull as you have less mass to rotate when pulling the trigger, again saves fractions of a second. Also, the 9mm is shorter than the .38 special, again, saving fractions of a second and reducing the chance of fumbling the reload due to hitting the side of the cylinder. All those fractions mean something to guys named Jerry, it not so much for guys named brnwlms. One has to wonder if production rules had something to do with it.
But there is one practical side and that is if you love revolvers, ammo cost and availability is better for the 9mm, especially the last couple years. Just ask the blackhawk convertible guys with .357/9mm cylinders.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Lots of reasons for 9mm revolver. It's a round that hits the sweet spot between 38spl and 357mag. Also, it's a lot cheaper to practice with 9mm ammo than pretty much anything else besides 22LR. I have the Speed Six 9mm snub and think it is a sweet gun.
Agree.. Especially without the use of moon Clips (ala Smith & Wesson model 547).

·
Registered
723 Posts
I bought a Ruger American Compact to do my CCW license and a 1000 round box of Blazer 9mm FMJ.
After 300+- rounds through the Compact I decided that I'm a revolver kinda guy!
So having 700ish rounds of 9mm hardball on the shelf I decided a Ruger Blackhawk Convertible needed to be added to the fleet.
.357/.38SPL/ 9mm (no moon clips needed) is the way to go for me :cool:

Rex
Buying a new firearm because I already have the ammo. As good a reason as any.:)

·
Registered
763 Posts
Smaller ammo that is easier to carry. Faster reload with the moon clip. And yes that fraction of a second in a self defense situation may save your life. More horse power than a .38 Spl...... Less blast and recoil than a .357 magnum. Cheaper and more available ammo.

Don't knock it until you've tried it,

Bepe
Revolver Air gun Trigger Wood Everyday carry

·
Grand Inquisitor
2,858 Posts
I am new to 9, but it has good power in modern loadings. Those who carry a duty gun in 9 can carry a backup in the same caliber. For a kit gun or prepper gun, it would be good because the caliber is so common.

For me? I like Moonclips in my Colt M1917, .45 acp. Yet I feel no need to own a 9 revolver, as I have other revolvers and I reload for them, though the Charter Arms gun is interesting.

·
Registered
Rugers: Model 19122 pc 9 , American Competion
3,332 Posts
9MM is an exceptional round for many uses, and it is one of the few "designed for manufacturability" But it is not really in between .38sp and .357. different animals in my opinion, and I am a 9x19 fan guy. the 9x19 was initially loaded and optimized specific for auto loading guns, as such it depends on the chamber breach encasing the round for the most part. .38 sp and .357 were developed for and optimized in revolvers with a gap. huge issues? No but different strengths and weaknesses. I think its great some use a 9MM revolver, its just not my type of thing!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Smith & Wesson brought the model 547, K frame revolver in the early '80's as Law Enforcement began the switch to 9mm in order to appeal to officers that did not want to switch to semi-auto's, I purchased a 3" round butt version back the for about $240,00, I don't shoot it very often, but it is a decent shooter, they designed with recessed spring loaded fingers in the chambers to extract cases like any other revolver without the need for half moon clips. they only made them for a couple of years, also came in a 4" square butt version
Air gun Trigger Revolver Gun barrel Gun accessory

·
Registered
763 Posts
I read a few mentions of 9 being between 38 and 357. Isn't that called 38+P ?
Not quite. The 9mm out paces the .38 Spl +P by a margin. Especially in snub carry configuration.

Paul Harrell has some good vids on the subject.

Internet myth has it stated that the barrel cylinder gap on a revolver is detrimental to a 9mm. I believe Harrell has done a test on that also and found the velocity loss is minimal. I'll have to find it.

Here's one vid that is pretty much on topic. Primarily a review and comparison of the LCR 9mm against a J frame snub. Harrell does chrono a 4" S&W M15 against a Berretta and also snub against snub. Plus P against Plus P and also +P 38 against standard 9mm.

The chrono numbers are very interesting.

Bepe

1 - 20 of 68 Posts