Ruger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking at those KSG and KSB(?) weapons, the bullpup 12 ga. pump and the .308 rifle..........why the heck are these things $1,000+?

I always thought of Kel-Tec as a maker of reliable, low cost weapons and thought they made a lot of plastic stuff to keep costs down. Lots of people own their small .32 auto's and the plastic 9mm pistols, and they are low cost pistols that just plain work.

But, I was shocked to see the rifles and shotguns being so high priced!:eek:

All the "tacticool" stuff and Call of Duty hype aside, I don't feel the KSG does anything that my rock solid $200 ex-police Rem 870 12 gauge won't do as a defensive shotgun.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
All those addicted Video-gamers are jumping for those "Space Death-Rayguns"...and are willing to pay the out-of-line prices for them. It is a real 'fad' buying spree...The Zombie--Put a load of lead down-range with a red-dot showing the general direction of fire, controlls that market share.

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
I was looking forward to their bullpup .308 and kept up with its development for a while. Then I finally saw the price and haven't looked at one since then. I too thought all the plastic and screws clamping them together would make them lower cost. Guess the joke is on us.

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm sure KelTec greased some palms to get the KSG into the Modern Warfare 3 game, they list retail at $800 or so and they are selling for $1200+ on Gunbroker..........until the new COD comes out, then some other gun will be the "it" gun:)

·
Banned
359 Posts
The SU-16 and Sub-2000 are equally unobtainium. The simple fact is that these are great firearms with well thought-out designs and they appeal to a large number of people, but Kel-Tec is a small company that isn't in a hurry to become a large one.

The Sub-2K for Glock mags is an inspired design, practical for a variety of purposes, totally safe to carry when folded, quick to make ready, holds 33-round 9mm mags, and is easy to carry in a backpack or vehicle.

Unlike a Mini-14, the SU-16 takes standard AR mags which are cheap and ubiquitous, including the ability to borrow from an AR-holding buddy if needed. Its gas piston keeps the receiver and action clean and cool, and it weighs 2/3 of what my AR does.

·
Registered
241 Posts
The Kel-Tec website has the KSG MSRP a little less than $900. However, since they are in the realm of unicorns and the Lock Ness monster...their mythical status makes them nearly impossible to find. So when one is available, there are those that are willing to pay 2x the MSRP. There was a used KSG in El Paso for $1,500...used...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts