Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about getting into bird hunting next year. So I am starting my research now. I really like over unders but i can seem to find a nice one under 2k. Anyone know why they are so expensive and can anyone recommend a cheaper one. I was told by a smith to stay away from Stoger and I trust his advice.

I had an 870 all tacticooled, but sold it out of boredom it sat unused for 4 years. If I cant find an over under I will get a hunting version of the 870.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
I think a lot has to do with regulating barrels to hit same place. I don't have Stoger over under but have Stoger SS 410 its a nice little double.

·
Registered
313 Posts
O/U's are expensive because they are hand fit when assembled. I have two Browning Citoris and they will last me a lifetime.

A good fiield gun is either the Winchester SX3 or Browning Maxus (very similiar same parent company). I purchased a Winchester SX3 for less than $ 900.00. This is the gun I take duck hunting and field hunting in nasty weather.

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
Keep an eye out for used SKBs or the earlier Ithaca-SKBs as well as the Weatherby Orion 1 (also made by SKB). These are quality Japanese made O/Us. The earliest versions were made without choke tubes, but all great guns for the price.

·
Registered
586 Posts
i have the stoger condor with both 12 and 20 guage and i love it- 4 years of hunting and never a problem- both barrels hit same spot every time. have no idea why some people dont like them.

·
Banned
1,641 Posts
I think they're so expensive because, like others have said, they require fitting and precision to get both barrels to hit in relatively the same spot each time (a lot of people will take an O/U out and pattern it to make sure if this and send it back if it doesn't). Also, an O/U has two barrels (although they're welded together with a rib between them), two firing pins, a break-action lever and a barrel selector switch (unless you get double triggers, which I despise). There are two chokes for the gun because of the two barrels. This all requires more material and more machining, therefore more cost.

That being said, I can highly recommend a CZ Redhead, Canvasback or Upland Ultralight. I had the Redhead this summer and while I didn't care for shooting with an O/U, I did love the gun (mom and dad bought it a month ago so I can shoot it anytime I want).

I would recommend the CZ lineup. Stay away from the Mossberg Silver Reserve. You might also consider the Franchi Instinct L or SL O/Us. Both can be had for well under $2000 (probably closer to $1000/1200 mark). They're beautiful guns and were both guns I seriously considered before picking up the CZ.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Another go and see is a Fausti Traditions O/U. I just traded one in, so sorry I did, in pristine condition at Cabela's for a handgun, and got $450 for it (thought it was a good deal-I only paid $500 for it new 2 yrs. earlier). I looked onsite to see what they were asking for it. Damn! I think I got screwed. Cabela's was asking $1300 for it used. Anyway, great, accurate, excellent detailing and carvings on metal parts, and fun to shoot anything from geese to doves. I also think Fausti is somehow related to Benelli too. Good luck.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the info. I have a whole lot of learning to do on this subject. unfortunatly around me used guns are hard to find. No pawn shops and LGS are asking almost new prices for used stuff (thanks to Obama scare).

All I have seen around me is the "cheep" $4-$500 ones and then it jumps to the $2,000 ones. I have to look into some of the in between ones you all suggested.

·
Banned
1,641 Posts
Thanks for all the info. I have a whole lot of learning to do on this subject. unfortunatly around me used guns are hard to find. No pawn shops and LGS are asking almost new prices for used stuff (thanks to Obama scare).

All I have seen around me is the "cheep" $4-$500 ones and then it jumps to the $2,000 ones. I have to look into some of the in between ones you all suggested.
I hear ya! Gun shops around me are the same way. Seems the value of used guns is way up right now.

At this juncture, Gunbroker might be your friend. :D

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
Keep looking and take your time. Good shooting older Red Labels are out there. Fixed chokes are OK and there may be a few dings and scratches from field use but the prices are good. Found a 12 ga RL like that back in the spring for around $650. Great shooter. Taking it dove hunting in a week!

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
I ordered a left handed Beretta 686 Silver Pideon back in the end of June when I first got back from Iraq as a gift for myself. Just got word its at a port waiting on customs to release it so hopefully it will be here within the next few weeks. Supposedly for guns in the $2000 range this one is a bargin and well worth the money. You can also get a White Onyx model for about $1500-1600. Another great gun.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Another go and see is a Fausti Traditions O/U. I just traded one in, so sorry I did, in pristine condition at Cabela's for a handgun, and got $450 for it (thought it was a good deal-I only paid $500 for it new 2 yrs. earlier). I looked onsite to see what they were asking for it. Damn! I think I got screwed. Cabela's was asking $1300 for it used. Anyway, great, accurate, excellent detailing and carvings on metal parts, and fun to shoot anything from geese to doves. I also think Fausti is somehow related to Benelli too. Good luck.
The Fausti you are referring to was also imported by American arms inc some years ago. I bought one brand new and it was fitted very tightly. I ended up hand honing and polishing every moving part as a winter project the year I got it. That was back in december of 2002 and that gun now feels just like a top end O/U! I paid $535 for it BNIB and it's much nicer looking than both my Red Label and Citori & it feels and operates just as smoothly. I since had a new stock put on it and I shoot clays and upland bird with it. Benelli had nothing to do with the Stephano & Fausti/Cav firearms made in the famous "gun valley" of Brescia Italy. They are now solely operated by the original founders daughters led by Giovanna and her two younger sisters and go by simply "Fausti Armi," they produce some of the finest hand made double guns in the world. I'm sorry to hear that you parted with yours and got the infamous Cabelas "shaft". Cabelas is good for a lot of things but I would stay away from their "gun library" at all costs. They offer the lowest prices paid that I have ever seen from any arms purchaser. Some of the Fausti sisters current double guns are used in world competitions and range in price according to what you are willing to spend. Check out their website, some of those small bore doubles are truly breathtaking works of art!

·
Registered
414 Posts
Keep an eye out for used SKBs or the earlier Ithaca-SKBs as well as the Weatherby Orion 1 (also made by SKB). These are quality Japanese made O/Us. The earliest versions were made without choke tubes, but all great guns for the price.
I agree totally! I imported several in to the US in 1995. I have a SKB 685 which is a awesome gun with inter changable chokes. Its about the equivelent of a Weatherby Anthena Grade IV. I also own a Ithaca 600 which is basically a copy of the SKB 600. Its fixed choke and its a excellent well made gun. I also ran the Bases Gun Club and we regularly sold SKB's and Weatherby's which at the time were made by SKB. All are great well made guns!

Dont over look a Miruko if you can find one. There are very few guns made with thier name on them making many of them a bit of a collectors item. Miruko made the Browning Citori's for years. The guns I have roll marked Miruko are actually in my opinion tighter and better fitted and finished guns than the Citori's are, go figure.

Since I shot trap and skeet for several years I have put litterally thousands of rounds through them without a hick up or a parts breakage.

I have herd from many skeet shooters that the Stoger Condors are great entry level guns for the casual shooter or the guy who only goes out quail or dove hunting a couple of times a year but do not hold up to lots of regular high volume shooting. Some of the higher end models seem to be okay though.

O/U's are expensive for a couple of reasons. First there aint a huge demand for them like there is for a Remington 870 and that alone will resort in a higher cost. Second, these guns also require a lot more fitting and tighter tolerances than your typical pump or auto loader. With O/U's your generally going to get what you pay for and the better models are going to have a much higher luster bluing finish, engravings and choicer looking wood as most folks buying such guns are willing to pay a premium for these options. In the end this usually results in a higher costing product.

·
Registered
659 Posts
you might want to check out CDNN for some deals. they have some Lanbers in their catalog for good prices,among some brand names also. good luck.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Well, I do believe you can still get a Red Label for under 2 grand. I thought that they were around 1500, but it's been awhile for me. I've owned quite a few of them eventually getting what I'd always dreamed of having, An all stainless Ruger Red Label with synthetic stock. It was a dream and all pleasure to shoot. I shot many a round of registered skeet with that gun and in a moment of stupidity, let someone talk me out of it. So yes they are a bit costly, but a bargain compared to its competition ie. Browning. So I thought why would a SXS be cheaper than an O&U? Then Ruger came out with its Gold Label and blew that assumption out of the water coming in a double the cost of the Red Label. If you want an O&U that will last several lifetimes in the field, you can't do wrong with a Red Label. And Yes, it's worth every cent! Smithy.

·
Registered
947 Posts
I had a Beretta 686 O/U about 20 years ago. It had the Mobilechokes, silvered heavily engraved receiver...a little too pretty for a field gun. I used it for shooting clays and it was a beautiful gun, well balanced and light. I know they made a field grade that was less fancy, and If you could score one for under a grand, I think it would fit the bill.

·
Registered
5,349 Posts
Keep looking and take your time. Good shooting older Red Labels are out there. Fixed chokes are OK and there may be a few dings and scratches from field use but the prices are good. Found a 12 ga RL like that back in the spring for around $650. Great shooter. Taking it dove hunting in a week!
you mentioned red labels before to me in my other thread-- is that a maker or a model from a certain maker?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts