Ruger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been watching the Ruger standard, Mark II, and new Mark III's on gunbroker.com and the used guns are selling for more than the new ones. One can buy a new Mark III standard with 4 -3/4 or 6" barrel for under $300. The used mark II's and even some Mark 1's are selling right at or a little more than $300. Are the older guns better than the new model? If so how?

·
Banned
1,641 Posts
A lot of people prefer the older models because they lack the magazine disconnect safety and loaded chamber indicator. This makes them more desirable. Personally, it's easy enough to remove the mag safety and I don't have an issue with the loaded chamber indicator other than it's a pain in the rear to clean around.

I think the original Ruger Standard (pre-Mark I) is in short supply so the price might be slightly higher on them.

I personally can't see any reason to pay more for a used gun than a new one unless it's a limited edition or has something I really want. Comparing a Mark II Standard 4-3/4 to a Mark III Standard 4-3/4, I can't see any reason to pay more for the Mark II. Although if you pay for the parts to remove the mag safety, you're right back up to that $325 mark on the Mark III so it's kind of a wash.

·
Banned
1,641 Posts
I too have been considering getting a Standard (Mark III, probably) in 4-3/4" barrel. I just think it's a neat-looking gun and I'd love to just leave it as-is and plink with it. Would be great fun at the range because it's so compact and no-nonsense.

·
Registered
6,450 Posts
I agree--the Ruger Standard ( I, II, or III ) with the 4 3/4" barrel is the coolest looking of any modern pistol. Has that Luger look that all handgunners love. And at $300 +- for a new Mark III---can't go wrong.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The reason I'm asking is that I am going to buy a new or used standard. The first handgun I purchased was a new standard in 1962. Not sure how many rounds I put though the gun but it must be in the 10's of thousands. I gave the gun to my son aver 10 years ago and he has shot many thousands of rounds since then. In all the years and thousands of rounds there has not been a single jam of any kind - no failure to load, shoot, or eject. Not only that the ammo is cheap and they are fun to shoot. So buying a well used standard does not bother me at all.

I have some expensive semi-auto center fire handguns and the only one that has not had a single jam is a Colt 1911 .45 ACP. The trouble is it costs about 45 cents every time the trigger is pulled and that gets pretty expensive if you like to shoot a lot which I do.

·
Registered
4,959 Posts
Yeah, it's crazy, I know, to pay about as much for a used 40 year old Standard as a new MKIII Standard, but that's the used gun market for you. I do like the old Standards, though for their simplicity - no bolt hold open mechanism, no LCI, no magazine safety, no warning stamped on the barrel - just the original simple but elegant pistol that Bill Ruger first designed. Do a field strip on one of these vintage Standards or Mark Is, take a look at the innards and you wonder how anything so simple can actually work.

Those RST-4s (4" Standards) do have a unique feel and balance to them, quite unlike the long barreled Standards and certainly a much different feel than the heavier Marks. Here's my 1972 RST-4 with Ruger factory optional walnut grips. Not for sale, by the way.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts