Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
If I am not going to hunt with it, is there any reason to buy a 6" over a 4"? It is my gift to myself, and I have a 4" (Not a Ruger) that I sometimes carry, (I usually carry a 2" snubbie). The 6 would give me a 2", 4", & a 6", but they seem a little impractical. That comes fro someone that has never owned a 6".. Thoughts please. The 6" does have a real nice look to it. What are the advantages of a 6"? Be kind please, am learning.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Sight radius and velocity of the round you're shooting...and personally the 6" seems to balance a bit nicer than the four but YMMV....

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
I agree. That longer sight radius is very useful for range work and accuracy work. At 25 yards, and definitely at 50 yards, just that extra 2" of barrel makes a difference in my shooting. Up close, no big deal, but when I want to reach out a ways, much prefer the 6".

·
Righteous Dude
21,694 Posts
You get a longer sight radius and a little velocity. I had a 6" and it was nice. I prefer shorter barrels for general use. If you're not hunting or looking for the best chance to tighten groups, then I would get the size you prefer. The 6" is also heavier and more challenging to carry. I like all GPs, I just prefer the shorter models.

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
When I handled a 6", I thought it was barrel heavy. I have a 4" security six so I was looking at the 4.20(all newGP100 are 4.20, not 4") until
I found the 5" which I purchased and am very happy with.

·
Premium Member
4,204 Posts
Because you don't already have one? That's my answer and I'm sticking to it. Besides, you have to complete the set. It's a rule.

·
Premium Member
4,204 Posts
In all seriousness the only thing the short barreled guns do better than the 6" is they carry better. The 6" is potentially more accurate and more powerful even though minimally. IMO it balances nicer. The 4" is a terrific compromise though and if I already had a 4" I doubt I'd be looking for a 6". In fact I have the reverse problem. I have a 6" and I'm trying to justify a 4". Other than to satisfy the 'rule' I can't think of a good reason to buy a 4". YMMV.

·
Registered
765 Posts
You would have to handle and fire a six inch. Shooting it is effortless. Very smooth and as previously mentioned, very well balanced. I have one and don't notice a weight issue.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
When I handled a 6", I thought it was barrel heavy. I have a 4" security six so I was looking at the 4.20(all newGP100 are 4.20, not 4") until
I found the 5" which I purchased and am very happy with.
This. I have the 3" and it has the best balance of all IMO. If I got a longer one 4.2" doesn't seem worth doing, and the 6" I held was quite barrel heavy, so I'd probably go with a 5".

·
Premium Member
4,204 Posts
Gotta agree with slimjim. If I was in the market for one and only one GP100 I'd probably buy a 5".

Reactions: slimjim9

·
Banned
3,167 Posts
Sight radius and velocity of the round you're shooting...
I agree. That longer sight radius is very useful for range work and accuracy work.
You get a longer ight radius and a little velocity.

Sight radius always comes up when people compare a 4" to a 6".

Throw a red dot sight on top and you'll have a more precise sighting system in a 4" than the sights provide, even moreso than a 6". A Ruger front sight tends to cover around 15MOA for an average height man. It's a great sight for fast target acquisition, but for precision targeting, it's not so hot. Red Dot sights can be had with reticle dots much finer, giving the shooter improved target hold precision.

In that case, it doesn't matter whether it's a 4", a 6", a 20", or 2", the dot reticle is the same subtension regardless of barrel length. So if a guy wants a 4" but waffles about a 6" because of the sight radius, it's really easy to render that moot by throwing a dot sight on top.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Those who opt for the 6 in bbl usually have length of sight radius and heft and steadiness in mind, as well as increased velocity for hunting. I bought the 5 in bbl model as a compromise and love it.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
I had the 3" and replaced it with a 6". I could never get comfortable with the 3" for some reason. The 6" just points better for me. I would like to see a 5". It might be the best compromise.

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
Good luck with your choice, I am sure that you will enjoy it.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts