Ruger Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't see any mechanical reason why it couldn't be done. And the ROA is not a replica - it was always billed as a modern muzzleloader.

·
Registered
863 Posts
yea or a nipple safety.....

There's a barkeep who overheard two cowboys talking about Ruger's transfer bar and he's says "this ain't that kind of place....LOL!

·
Banned
29,619 Posts
I do not use any single action without a transfer bar. I own a couple of 3 screws as collector items but not as shooters and will not use a non transfer bar gun as a shooter.

·
Registered
5,732 Posts
Wow, Why??? I personally don't like transfer bars, but we are 'stuck' with them in our dumb-downed society. I think a lot of us would have been happy with the Old Model if they'd have continued to build it. The safety, BTW, should be where it belongs ... Between our ears. As for the 'safety' on the ROA, there is a notch between the nipples on the cylinder to drop the hammer into for carrying 6 up.

·
Registered
3,613 Posts
Not sure how you could have gotten a transfer bar to work in a black powder revolver.

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
...As for the 'safety' on the ROA, there is a notch between the nipples on the cylinder to drop the hammer into for carrying 6 up.
Yep! The OP must not own a ROA. Many of the original BP revolvers of the 19th century had hammer notches between the nipples.

·
Registered
192 Posts
The OP's name is... bunnyhugger. That's all you need to know.

Just glad my 12 Colt .45LC's and .44 WCF's... and 14, 2nd Gen. Navy's and Army's.. don't have that stupid, silly transfer bar. If this is the last thing I ever do before my imminent death... I will have the TB be removed from all of my Rugers.

·
Registered
462 Posts
another example of the dumbing down???...how did we survive all those years WITHOUT a transfer bar????...oh yeah I remember...we were careful!!!

·
Registered
3,613 Posts
Then your engineering IQ is minus 47.
You are right, I am not an engineer. The ROA is a black powder revolver. No black powder revolver ever had a transfer bar, and I, for one, would not want one. Looks to me like after you fired it a few times the powder residue could get behind the transfer bar and it wouldn't fire at all. Ruger had the Old Army with notches between the chambers to safely rest the hammer in. That's all the safety it needs.

On a side note, Bill Ruger is quoted as saying in Ruger and His Guns by RL Wilson, that as long as he was alive they would never stop making the ROA. Didn't take the bean counters long to discontinue it after his death.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Transfer bar would not could not work on a old army, look at one it is obvious and you don't need to be an engineer to see what I mean.

·
Banned
3,158 Posts
Are you serious.? TBs are a great safety invention. And a great way for a company to avoid lawsuits.
YES.........I AM SERIOUS!!! The ROA has safety notches for the idiots who would carry a cap and ball revolver with all six chambers loaded!

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
Then your engineering IQ is minus 47.
A transfer bar works with a frame-mounted firing pin. Percussion caps need a flat surface (hammer nose) to fire them, not a pin suitable for a modern primer. And as stated before, the ROA cylinder has a 'safety' notch between each nipple where the hammer nose may safely rest when carrying the pistol with all six nipples capped.

I suggest to the forum moderators that this new user 'bunnyhugger' is trolling...

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
Personally, I don't see any reason why it COULDN'T be done. The firing pin would have to be designed to provide the proper impact on a percussion cap, and the mounting for said firing pin would obviously have to accommodate this new pin design. Probably take a different firing pin spring. Could possibly use a centerfire Blackhawk's hammer and transfer bar, but a dedicated design should be possible if these "standard" parts just don't work.

This would be a fun design workup. I spent over 40 years doing such work and see no problem at first glance with this one.

The question of "why hasn't it already happened?" would be that Bill didn't want to do it and since his passing the company hasn't seen fit to devote the design and tooling costs to make it happen.

Is it necessary? YMMV

JMHO

:)

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
I still fail to see any usefulness of a hammer transfer bar mechanism on a percussion cap-and-ball revolver...

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
Firescout, why do you say this? Do you mean that a transfer bar is useless on all revolvers or just on the percussion cap-and-ball variety in particular? If the latter, why?

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
Firescout, why do you say this? Do you mean that a transfer bar is useless on all revolvers or just on the percussion cap-and-ball variety in particular? If the latter, why?

First off: why was the transfer bar mechanism developed for the Ruger SA revolvers?

1 - 20 of 55 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.