Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have my personal opinion on the gun, and I'll keep that quiet for now, but I'm curious why people bought one (including caliber).

·
Registered
214 Posts
Beauty, rock bottom below cost price, collector and if needed when I go hiking all six of her piglets will do enough damage to just about any North American animal to keep me safe. Polar bears are Arctic, not North American but I think it will work on them.

44MAG

·
Registered
12,851 Posts
I have yet to buy one, but I'm keeping an eye out for a 454 version, just because! I've already got a SRH 454 so the ammo stash is already here.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Handy size.... just might be the ticket for the big bad wolves at grandma's house (not to mention the bears and mountain lions).

·
Registered
5,504 Posts
I don't own one, but I understand you get a chrome plated "man card" with that gun.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I own one and love it, it shoots great (much better than you'd expect). I carry this, one shot is all you need, against pretty much anything, I use tamed down non-magnum loads with SWC's for the 2 legged varmints and a nice magnum load for the 4 legged type. If you reload, you will like this revolver a lot more than with factory stuff. It is dead on accurate as well, takes a bit of shooting to get used to it, but once you do, you will love it. To carry it you need a good holster (I have an OWB custom made holster) and a very good belt.
Oh, I have the .44mag version.
[URL="
[/URL]

·
Sr. Exec. Button Monkey
625 Posts
I don't own one, but I understand you get a chrome plated "man card" with that gun.
That's just the label on the box that the enourmous set of brass [email protected] come in.

Seriously though, it was a close call between the Alaskan and my 4" Redhawk. And the Alaskan is on my wish list for sure. I'd go with the .44 mag to match my Redhawk. For now though, all the Grizzly bears in Jersey are safe.

·
Registered
Northwest Oregon
2,323 Posts
I didn’t go with a Ruger Alaskan because it is too wimpy for me. I went with a 5” S&W 460V for concealed carry and an 8 3/8” S&W 460XVR for hunting. They will chamber and shoot 460 S&W magnum, 454 Casull, and .45 Colt. I carried the 5" concealed for about three years when I was working in remote wilderness areas by myself. I sold it after I retired and kept the 8 3/8".

The 460 S&W magnum round tops out around 2825 ft. lbs. and averages around 2200 ft. lbs. of muzzle energy. The 454 Casull round tops out around 1925 ft. lbs. and averages around 1600 ft. lbs. of muzzle energy. The .45 Colt round tops out around 1267 ft. lbs. and averages around 460 ft. lbs. of muzzle energy with standard factory loads for older guns. As a comparison, the .44 magnum round tops out around 1650 ft. lbs. of muzzle and averages around 900 ft. lbs. of muzzle energy. All the above data is from published specifications listed by manufacturers with typically 6” or 8” test barrels.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I have both, A 44mag and a 454 and love them. I carry one or the other any time I am in the woods. The most dangerous things in my woods are meth cookers but I just love big bore handguns.

Doyle

·
Registered
12,851 Posts
I have both, A 44mag and a 454 and love them. I carry one or the other any time I am in the woods. The most dangerous things in my woods are meth cookers but I just love big bore handguns.

Doyle
You can now get it in 480 also if you have the urge :D

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
LGS had 44 and 454 on their shelf earlier this week (and not much else). If there wasn't such a run on guns & ammo that has caused me to reevaluate how I want to spend my money, I would have snatched one up by now.

·
From Land of Fruit & Nuts
12,955 Posts
Love at first sight! My prized possession. :)

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
First up, I don't want to offend anyone here who has, or likes them. We all have reasons to buy or like a gun, and they aren't wrong, just different.

I personally think they are a result of successful marketing, and a particularly bad revolver configuration.

The 2.5 inch barrel on such a large caliber revolver is very inefficient, and poor for real world use. I've shot them in both 44 and 454, and found them to be poorly balanced, not pointable, and have excessive muzzle flash.

Let me compare it to my 4" Redhawk in 45 Colt.

Velocity:
(single cold bore shot)
RH: 360 gr- 1230 fps
SRHAK 360 gr 1220 fps

Accuracy (real world OMG BEAR!, not casually at the range) all shots DA at 10 yds

RH: 1st shot 3 inches from point of aim in 3 seconds (holster draw included)
SRHAK: 1st shot 12 inches from point of aim in 3 seconds (holster draw included)

Second shot:

RH: 2.5" from POA, approx 2 seconds to reacquire and shoot
SRHAK: 3" from POA, not sure on time for second shot because shot timer didn't register, but it was A LOT longer

Weight:

RH: 46oz
SRHAK: 44oz

SRHAK beats the RH here, but IMO, not enough to make a difference.

Street Price at my LGS:

RH: $770
SRHAK: $999

I did some numbers crunching on QuickLoad, and with both shooting the same 360 gr. bullet, the RH loaded with 21.0 lil gun (my most common personal load), and the 454 loaded with 25.0 lil gun, the ballistic efficiency of the SRHAK is 19% with only 84% of the powder being burned. On the RH has a 30% ballistic efficiency, and 96% powder burned.

All that being said, the barrel is just too short. It turns a 454 Casull into an unbalanced, poor pointing 45 Colt, and the 44 Mag into an unbalanced, poor pointing 44 Special. If Ruger would make a 4-5.5" SRH, I'd be in the market for one but they don't. There are some guys who swap out 454 cylinders in their 45 Colt Redhawks, but finding a 454 cylinder is like finding hen's teeth.

As far as pointability, this is different than accuracy. Pointability is the natural feel of making the barrel point where you want to hit without necessarily taking a lot of time to aim. When shooting a charging bear, you need to hit the central nervous system not just the heart or lungs. I think of it as hitting a basketball bouncing toward you at 30 mph. A 4-5 inch barrel is better for this IMO.

The reason I asked in the first place was, just out of curiosity, whether people bought it for its traits and qualities, the name "Alaskan" or the cool factor. I can tell you, that aside from some Anchorage weekend warriors, most real Alaskan shooters turn their nose up at it. (not saying that there arent alot up here, just that the real full time outdoors and firearms enthusiasts generally think they're ridiculous- anecdotally in my experience)

·
Registered
12,851 Posts
I'd still want one even if it were called the Democrat ;)

·
Registered
42 Posts
I bought mine (.44 mag) on impulse. Walked into the gun dealer, saw it, bought it. It was used but like new at a fair price. I enjoy shooting it and it is quite accurate with milder loads. Someone gave me a few Hornady Leverevolution to try out. All I can say is what a handful those are!

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
I use to own both calibers. Never was to incouraged to pop of a 454 so I just shot 45 LC out of it until I sold the piece. The 44 that I did keep, I mag-na-ported and sent to Jim Downing for full coverage engraving including my signature. It's my keeper gun now and is available for house protection. Smithy.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts