Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
6,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I imagine that each of us has been asked this question (at least once) by some well-indoctrinated hoplophobe (person with an unreasonable fear of weapons). It also appears in rhetorical form in inumerable op-eds, editorials and political speeches. The argument (such as it is) is that since we have police, there is no need for regular citizens to own guns; we can depend on our police and armed forces to protect us from harm.

As Dr. Phil might say, "How's that working out for you?"

A couple of days ago, I was asked "the question" yet again and came up with a new answer:

It's true that in the suburban town where I live there is a well-trained and well-armed police force sworn to uphold the laws and protect the citizenry from the depredations of criminals. They are dedicated men and women who put their lives on the line every day.

However, for this city of over 90,000 people, there are - at most - ten police officers on patrol at any one time. This counts school resource officers and the sergeant and lieutenant and is considered to be a well-staffed police department, in comparison to surrounding cities and towns. And even if none of them are occupied with other matters, it takes them an average of five minutes to arrive on-scene. A lot can happen in five minutes.

Still, your point might be that the risk of those five minutes is the price I pay for not having a gun in my house, threatening my daily existence with its malevolent presence. I should place my trust in the government to have my best interests at heart, you might argue. Well, why should we just stop at guns?

After all, just look at the carnage caused by irresponsible reporting in the news. A reporter writes a story about how police shot an unarmed "person of color" and a major city erupts in rioting and murder. Shouldn't the government be in charge of reporting the news? Why should we risk having irresponsible, mentally ill or even criminal people reporting the news? Just think of the lives that could be saved.

Whenever you give the government a monopoly - be it of guns, media, healthcare or electricity - you have to rely on the benificence and competence of those in power (and the bureaucracy); you are at their mercy. And we've seen how that plays out in things like the VA scandal, the IRS scandal, the Secret Service scandal....I could go on, but you get the point. The bigger government gets and the more power it accrues, the less accountable it becomes.

If the responsibility of defending yourself is too great, then you are free to rely on the police; they are there for you. But please, don't tie my hands just because yours are trembling.​

Jim

Reactions: Highhawk1948

·
Registered
123 Posts
My response is normally something along the lines of....Since the courts have ruled that the Police cannot be held responsible for failing to protect you then that pretty much leaves only one person you can count on and thats yourself.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Typical old, boring response - but I'd rather have a gun and not need it, than need it and not have it.

·
Banned
2,657 Posts
Because I'm a rabbit hunter and I'm not as fast as a bullet when it comes to putting rabbit meat on my table. :D

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
I don't need one. I want one.

·
Registered
6,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't need one. I want one.
And the difference between a free society and a benign dictatorship is that in the first, you are expected to provide for yourself according to your needs and wants. In the second, the state provides you what they think you need and insists that you can want nothing more.

Jim

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
I have one for the same reason cops do. If all bad guys just surrendered when cops yell, "Stop, freeze!" then they wouldn't need them either.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Years ago, before we had cell phones, my wife was going to take our three young daughters with her to the grocery store. They were about 8, 6, and 1 at the time.

We lived in a rural area, county deputies were our police force and we live 20 miles from the sheriff's department. She gets the kids all buckled into our van, goes around to get behind the wheel, and is confronted by a big, snarling, jaw snapping mangy dog. No collar, not one she had seen in the area before. She backs around to another door and climbs into the van. She leaves to do the grocery shopping with the kids and when she gets back a couple of hours later the dog is gone. When I get home from work that night she tells me about this dog.

I said to keep an eye on the kids and don't let them play outside alone for awhile.

On Saturday, she takes the kids over to a friends house and I decide to mow the yard. Go out in the garage after they leave and I am confronted by this big, mangy, growling, snapping, barking, snarling, mean dog who comes at me as soon as I opened the door. Kept him at bay with a push broom I had next to the door and got back in the house and called the sheriff's department. They said they had no reports of anyone being bitten by a strange dog, they couldn't send a deputy out for awhile, I had young kids who were at risk, I lived in the country, just do what I felt necessary.

So I did. Thankfully I was able to get the dog out of the garage before I shot him so I didn't have a bloody mess to clean up. And thankfully the kids never were exposed to this mangy beast.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Plus my family and I like to eat venison, wild turkey, pheasant, dove, duck and goose. And living in a rural area, that mangy dog I wrote about could have been a low-life with criminal intent attempting to attack me or my family.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
And the difference between a free society and a benign dictatorship is that in the first, you are expected to provide for yourself according to your needs and wants. In the second, the state provides you what they think you need and insists that you can want nothing more.

Jim
Yessir.......

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Very well said Jim.

·
Registered
10,286 Posts
Because my wife has one.

Reactions: 2ndGen

·
Registered
1,695 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
I don't need. I choose to own and use firearms. I live my life as I see fit and you should be able to do the same. Minding your own business is a dying art. Participate in it's revival. :D

·
Registered
322 Posts
Right not Need or Want

In my opinion 2ndGen is almost correct. But it isn't a "need" or "want." It is our right as US Citizens to own a gun if we choose regardless of how scared this makes others feel.

It is important to point out to someone querying about the need to own a gun that gun ownership isn't about need, it is about rights. We are rights activists first and gun owners second.

If this was all about needs it can be claimed that we don't need a free press for reasons pointed out by the OP. Anyway lots of countries do without. Why not quarter soldiers in our private homes? Think how safe you would be. We don't need protection from unreasonable search and seizure since we can trust our police. Due process just slows down justice, so we don't need that either. This would allow us to put all those obviously bad people on the no fly list on the no gun list too. Speedy trials are not necessary either since the police know who is bad and locking them up without a trial will save money. Look what it did for Stalin!

In fact, none of the 10 articles in the Bill of Rights are necessary. No other country has them and look how well they are doing.

Gun ownership is a right, not a need or a want.

·
Registered
78 Posts
My youngest was ask that question by the mother of one of his friends. I can never top his answer: "Well Ma'am, I've never been good at jumping out of trees and beating the deer to death.".

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
I find this usually slows the roll of people asking the need question.

"People only need air, water, food, shelter, and in my opinion love. I think we all have plenty of things we don't need. I really would rather talk about the things you own and don't really need."

·
Spellign Bee Champ
15,411 Posts
Guns are like first aid kits or fire extinguishers.
We can call 9-1-1 but what do we while waiting for help?
We are our own first responders.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts