Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
5,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The other day I was at my local Wallyworld getting some groceries. I stopped by the firearms department to pick up some ammo. Four or five other customers were standing around by the ammo case waiting for assistance. Eventually a somewhat listless store employee came around and said she could not help us as they did not have a key to the ammo cabinet.

Hmmmm....

·
Registered
3,706 Posts
The quality of service at the ammo counter (sporting goods) in Wal-Mart stores is dependent on the store and/or the time of day. I go in very early when I stop by on my way to work and there are very few workers. I understand that, in the Wal-Mart’s in my area of San Diego, not everyone is allowed the key to the ammo case… don’t know why! I do know that this source is still one of the cheapest sources in town and one location is very convenient to me.

In my neck of the woods, LGS are not abundant and the one most convenient to me is much farther than the local Wal-Mart. I will never use them however because there prices are high and they were caught sending people in to purchase Wal-Mart ammo during the big ammo shortage and reselling it at high prices… not cool!

To answer your question, I don’t know why they bother but I am glad they do! I rarely have problems getting help with ammo when they actually have stock. To me, the lack of stock is the bigger problem.

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
I had a same thing happen to me in Alabama, stood by the cabinet for 20 min. the store associate came over with another customer and unlocked the cabinet and got his ammo out and started to lock the cabinet, i told her i needed some ammo also. She looked at me and said she can only do one customer at a time :eek:

·
Double P90 Shooter
19,887 Posts
I go early to the WM by my house and I've gotten to be friendly with the girl that works that dept. (No its not what you think) She always goes to get the key and money for the drawer so I can pay right there.If she doesn't get the cash they let me finish shopping and pay for it up front...

·
Skeptical of Everything
3,655 Posts
She looked at me and said she can only do one customer at a time :eek:
Are you sure you weren't in a brothel? :D

The ammo counter in my Wally-World has actually gotten better. I have made friends with the lady who does the ordering and she told me what time of the day the truck arrives and that the ammo gets unloaded and stocked first.

However, now that I am reloading again ... I don't go on "ammo runs" anymore.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
The quality of service at the ammo counter (sporting goods) in Wal-Mart stores is dependent on the store and/or the time of day. I go in very early when I stop by on my way to work and there are very few workers. I understand that, in the Wal-Mart’s in my area of San Diego, not everyone is allowed the key to the ammo case… don’t know why! I do know that this source is still one of the cheapest sources in town and one location is very convenient to me.

In my neck of the woods, LGS are not abundant and the one most convenient to me is much farther than the local Wal-Mart. I will never use them however because there prices are high and they were caught sending people in to purchase Wal-Mart ammo during the big ammo shortage and reselling it at high prices… not cool!

To answer your question, I don’t know why they bother but I am glad they do! I rarely have problems getting help with ammo when they actually have stock. To me, the lack of stock is the bigger problem.
My experience exactly. I actually dislike going into Wal-Mart but the savings make it worth while.

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
I have never had a problem with purchasing ammo at Wally World. If the register at the counter is closed they walk it up front for me.

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
Try to keep in mind, that while there are going to be rude people everywhere you go, it's not always the employees fault. A lot has to do with Walmart's corp. idiots & the cutbacks they keep making to "save money". A few years ago they got the big idea to save money by cutting back on payrole...meaning, they decided that less employees & lower hours will save the company millions of dollars a year and make profits bigger. All they accomplished was pissing off customers with poor service & driving customers to shop elsewhere. At many Walmarts, new part time employees are scheduled to work more hours than full time employees that have been there longer because the new employees tend to make less per hour. This forces many full time employees to leave for other positions or to quit, only to be replaced by part timers. A few years ago Walmart also decided that instead of having a department manager for every department (like they should), they have one person in charge of three or four depts. That means poor service & overworked/stressed employees. This is what happens at the sporting goods counter a lot & why you have to wait 30 minutes for an employee just to buy a box of ammo. It all went to crap after Sam passed away & his greedy family took over.

·
Banned
4,407 Posts
I'm mostly .22, and 99% of the time Welfare Mart doesn't have any bulk packs. The other places always do. So I pay $3 more and don't waste time going to Wally World for nothing. Since that was all I bought there for a long time, I don't go at all anymore.

Except on my bus route, one stop is a Wally World. I'll bet the parasites will be hauling even more bags onto the bus after last night. Bags full of stuff we paid for.

·
Banned
29,620 Posts
No ammo or gun sales at Walmarts in Nj due to a law that says that a store employee handling a firearm must have a firearms possesion permit. A sales person or caSHIER WILL HANDLE THE GUN EVEN IF IN A BOX AT TEH REGISTER.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Kind of like all the other retail stores that 30-50% of the stuff they sell comes from China. Let's keep taxing business and the "rich" so more things can be made in China!

I remember Fred Meyer had a small glass case with the ammo in it. And it was really difficult to get help with ammo, the next time I went over to the case it was about have the size and was partially covered by a piece of cardboard. Then after that they did away with it all together.

·
Premium Member
3,003 Posts
The Barstow WalMart employees jump to get the ammo case open when anybody asks for ammo. I was third in line and she pulled all the ammo required by the customers in line and took it all to the register. Then I waited in line to buy.

·
Registered
3,549 Posts
We have a good gun/ammo dept at our local WM and some helpful people usually.

·
Registered
451 Posts
I gave up on both the Walmart's in my area as every time I go in to buy ammo they never have what I need. Yes, it is usually very hard to find someone with a key to the door.

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
The local WalMart in my small town has a great sporting goods dept. There is usually aways someone at or near the counter to handle any requests for ammo.
Never a problem for me. I love the place for my ammo purchases.:)

·
Registered
6,450 Posts
I've had the same problem on occasion at Wal-Mart but, at least in my area, their prices make it worth while.

·
Registered
403 Posts
I try my best not to spend my money at Walmart. But, sometimes they have
stuff I just can't get anywhere else.

·
Registered
717 Posts
You guys just stay angry at WalMart please.
There seems to be a new reason each week but please don't stop.
Please, just don't buy anything. Don't even go into the darn store.
It just leaves more ammo for me when I get there.:)

1 - 20 of 76 Posts