Ruger Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been looking for a nice wood set. Maybe something better than stock.

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
Been looking for a set, myself, but the walnut, thumb rest grips for the Mark I are as scarce as it gets.

I found this outfit online, Tombstone Gun Grips. He or one of the other custom makers could probably make you a set, but notice that there is a difference in the grips between the early and later version of the Mark I. You may need to send in your old grips as a sample.

What is the vintage of your Mark I? A quick way to check whether you have an early or late grip frame is the magazine. Does your magazine have the magazine follower (thumb button) on the right side or the left side? If it is on the right side, you have an early A-54 grip frame used on guns prior to 1972. If it is on the left side, you have the later A-100 grip frame that was used starting sometime in 1972. If you have the later A-100 frame, you could use a Mark II grip, but you might need to put some kind of a plug on spacer in the magazine release cut out slot. Not sure about the need to do that, but it is a possibility. If you have the early frame, back to going custom or trying to get lucky on E-bay or a gun show, but be prepared to pay as much or more for the factory optional Ruger original grips as a custom set.

Be sure to let us know what you find.

·
CARSON-WEST - 2016
6,784 Posts
Did you check w/ Altamont? Might be worth a phone call.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Did you check w/ Altamont? Might be worth a phone call.
Their site only shows the MK11 grips with the mag release cut-out.

If you can live with that, fine.

But, as suggested by BB, give them a call..maybe the cut-out can be deleted.

Good luck...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts