Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have recently been getting back into revolvers. Due to my find with a single action ruger buckeye 38-40 10mm. This lead to a redwhawk 4 inch 45lc and a gp100 6 inch 357.

my 6 inch buckeye got me thinking that a 6 inch barrel with any hadgun is the way to go. great soft shooting long eye relief accurate and makes most of the powder burn. dont get me wrong there is a place for a shorter defensive barrel but for the most part 6 inch seems to be the magic number for me.

i can see why they were the sidearm for law inforcement for so long.

I tell ya everytime i go to shoot i am astontished at how accurate revolvers are and how easy they are to shoot. I find myself thinking ....why am i even bothering with semi-autos.

Then i think i would hate to be with out the ease of a mag change and the volume of available rounds with each mag.

I have realized that revolvers are like the bolt action rifle of handguns.

dam they are nice!!!!! everyone should have at least one single and double action.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i can''t wait to get my reloading gear back up and running to really have fun with these weapons.

what is with the hype about recoil with the 45 lc and 357 mag? i thought i was recoil sensitive but these weapons are not bad at all.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I love my Glocks but, wheel guns are the must fun I've ever had with pistols.

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
I love my Glocks but, wheel guns are the must fun I've ever had with pistols.
+1 I love revolvers. I think they have much more character. Maybe it has something to do with westerns, cops & robbers, the cap guns we all had growing up or because semi loaders pretty much all look alike. My 686+ is my favorite and would be the last to go.

·
Registered
873 Posts
I;m partial to revolvers. For a 16 year old, I've found this to be fairly rare for people my age. I've never even shot a semi-auto handgun. I'd like to, but I'd rather be with my revolvers!

·
Registered
189 Posts
I owe it to my user name to weigh in here. To me, revolvers have so much character and heritage. My first two (LCR and SP101) were for defensive purposes but what I need now is a Vaquero for the pure fun of it. The OP's love for longer barrels has some pull for me too.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I to have been moving back to revolvers. I grew up shooting revolvers and always kept a few but had been carrying semi's for years. I have slowly been thinning my semi's and adding revolvers and could not be happier. I now carry a SP daily.

Doyle

·
Banned
4,407 Posts
Was a revolver fan in my "previous shooting life". When I restarted in 2008, a Mark III came first, but then a Single-Six. Now four of my six current collection are revolvers, and I'd give up the semis first.

Revolvers are just more traditional and attractive, not to mention less of a headache in many ways.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Probably one of the reasons individuals have stayed away from Revolvers is because you know they will always be there to purchase & can buy one when ever you want.

Semi's with large mag. capacity are on the fence right now. Will the Fed's or will the states have a say in what you can own?

·
Registered
784 Posts
I love revolvers so much that when i feel the need to carry I carry a revolver with a 2 in barrel. Sometimes I'll take a speed loader for a quick reload. My semi's are range guns. Yiogo

·
Registered
461 Posts
Couldnt agree with you more brother. I love my semi-autos but they just can't put the smile on my face that these ladies can...

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Hard to beat the look and feel of good revolver.

·
Registered
110 Posts
For me much of the satisfaction of revolver shooting, whether single or double action is the sense of mechanical participation you have. A wheelgunner is actually making the machine work. I love my semi-autos but sometimes shooting them is like squeezin' the nozzle lever on my garden hose. An apt comparison is to the stick shift vs. automatic tranny issue.

And......the brass falls in the palm of your hand.:cool::cool:

·
Registered
674 Posts
Wow! Nice looking collection. I always get a good feeling when I open up the gate on my very old single-six and start sliding in rounds. Loading mags doesn't quite have the same appeal. I have to admit that I am more accurate with my sig 226 (.22 cal) even though the barrel and sight radius are shorter. Cannot figure that one out. My favorite woods carry is a .357 GP 100, but autos for EDC.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have recently been getting back into revolvers. Due to my find with a single action ruger buckeye 38-40 10mm. This lead to a redwhawk 4 inch 45lc and a gp100 6 inch 357.

my 6 inch buckeye got me thinking that a 6 inch barrel with any hadgun is the way to go. great soft shooting long eye relief accurate and makes most of the powder burn. dont get me wrong there is a place for a shorter defensive barrel but for the most part 6 inch seems to be the magic number for me.

i can see why they were the sidearm for law inforcement for so long.

I tell ya everytime i go to shoot i am astontished at how accurate revolvers are and how easy they are to shoot. I find myself thinking ....why am i even bothering with semi-autos.

Then i think i would hate to be with out the ease of a mag change and the volume of available rounds with each mag.

I have realized that revolvers are like the bolt action rifle of handguns.

dam they are nice!!!!! everyone should have at least one single and double action.
I agree, when the wife and I went out to buy her a gun we were looking at 1911 .45's. After not firing a hand gun since the '80's her wrists have gotten weak from carple tunnel (sp) and she found out she could not operate the slide well enough. In an intruder situation she would be at a disadvantage.

The salesman at Gat Gun's in Dundee, IL without being rude about it explained she might be better off looking at revolvers. She got one look at the Ruger's and she fell in love. Her comfort zone is the 4" GP100, when my 5" GP100 comes in she'll give that a try as well.

Today she picks up her Mossberg 500 pump shotgun, God help the person that breaks into our home! I'm saving up for a SIG 1911 .45 ACP and will rent one the next time we are at the range to see how much I like it.

I have to say I love revolvers even though I never gave them any thought before!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Couldnt agree with you more brother. I love my semi-autos but they just can't put the smile on my face that these ladies can...

Now that's a knife!! Nice!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hard to beat the look and feel of good revolver.

I made the mistake of showing those to my wife, looks like we're buying more damn you! In a good way of course! :D

Very nice collection!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts