Ruger Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, guys:
I’ll tell you a nice little story with great moral at the end.

Someday I took my wife to nearest range. I wanted to show her how good is my new buddy P95 I just bought. After emptying one mag right to the target, I handed the gun to my lady. I should say, she ain't a newbie or anything, but it turned out to be a nightmare. She had continuous jams every 2-3 shots she made, and the pistol didn't lock the slide after the last one. P95 refused her ownership completely. [}:)]

I took it back and emptied another mag flawlessly. No jams at all. Strangely, huh? I gave it back to wife. It started jamming again. I was confused big time! Made a field strip, checked the gun carefully, checked ammo, found absolutely nothing wrong at all, and fired another mag. No problem. When she took it again, guess what? - Another jam.

Desperately pulling remainings of my hair out, I showed the gun to a range master. He confirmed the gun is in great condition. So, it must be an operator error. The answer was lying on a surface. My wife used to fire Walter P22 right before we started messing with P95. You notice the difference in recoil hardness? Apparently she didn’t. Her handling wasn’t straight enough to hold the gun firmly at all time.

My bad, I didn’t tell her distinction between easy-going P22 and more mature P95. You know, it’s like driving a truck through busy highway right after riding small size sedan in a quiet town. It needs some concentration and attention, and most of all – knowledge of the machine you’re operating.

I’m writing this just because I heard lately similar cries about faulty Rugers and Glocks. So, the moral of the story: before blaming on pistol, check yourself. :D

·
Registered
576 Posts
blade...the pistol could be possessed or there is always the "limp wrist" factor. I don't believe in either. Maybe one needs to squeeze the pistol "hard" like Mr. Whipple "squeezed" the Charmin. Who knows?

·
Forum Founder
3,639 Posts
Auto's have to have enough recoil to operate the slide. If you give enough in your arm and wrist that it can't get enough recoil to operate the slide it will jam. This has caused a lot of jams in auto's that weren't the guns fault. If a gun works for one person but don't for the other it has to be shooter induced. You might be better off letting your wife think it was the gun than telling her it was the way he held it though. :)

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ron, some people can feel it right, some can't. It's the matter no word could explain. I agree - that kind of squeeze may work for some. :)

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
KP97DC, personally I never had this problem before. May be just because I naturally feel the way I should be operating such kind of equipment. I worked with the wife on her wrist. We got to the point when she feels comfortable with a new friend. Now it likes her and not jamming anymore.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
kansas45, she's fine with the pistol now. We spent 16 years together to let it go that easy. :)

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
I have learned something today. I didn't know that a unformure shooter could cause a jam in a auto pistol.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Snuffy, imagine some people renting a car with three pedals don't realize that the left one is a parking brake, not a clutch (or vice versa).

·
Registered
5,004 Posts
It could trun into a good reason to go buy a Ruger SP-101 snubbie revolver "for" the wife...:D Take it from me, it works!

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
RNettles, you're right. It's hard to put a revolver into a jamming mode anyhow. Even a monkey couldn't do it... most probably.

I was thinking of S&W 638 "for" her. SP-101 is a good alternative too. Do you have one for sale?

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Man, it's looking so good, and tempting! May be I'll seek for this one on July's gun show.

·
Registered
576 Posts
I bought my wifey a S&W 637 because she said the SP-101 was too heavy. This past Monday I had my first back ordered 2.25" SP-101 Crimson Trace with a hammer come in. I showed it to wifey and how to switch on the laser on the bottom of the grip and then use the little button with her middle finger to activate the laser. She lasered the door, the coke machine, the ceiling, anything she thought was a fitting target. Now the SP is not so heavy; it was fun. I have lost my Crimson Trace to her and evidentally she traded her 637 back to me without saying a word. Anyone need a brand new, unfired 637 at wholesale + shipping?

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Post it at the local do-nut shops and you'll probably sell it fast!!! Or the police station/trng. academy...

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ron, S&W 637 is a good one too. How much you want? I'll try to convince my wifey that it is what she needs. :)

·
Registered
163 Posts
I had a new P95DC which would always jam after two or three rounds. I tried all sorts of different ammo/magazines with no success. What was maddening was that it would feed a magazine full of anything reliably when cycled by hand.

To make a long story short, it turned out that the recoil spring was a bit over-strength. By switching to 147 grain or heavier bullets (generally Winchester white box), the pistol because your routine boringly reliable P95.

Once I dropped in a reduced weight Wolf recoil spring, it would feed/fire everything I tried.

Yep, limp-wristing can cause problems, but Rugers seem to also like the heavier loads...

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
OldNavy, thank you for hint.

I've tried everything from 90-gr to 136-gr with no problem at all. Never had a jam. Finally I worked my wife out to hold it firmly, so she can't produce jams either. I put on only Wolf's 19 pound trigger spring that makes firing more comfortable. She's still complaining about bulky grip, and overall weight of the loaded pistol. :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts