Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
6,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Even though I'm habitually a big-bore kinda guy when it comes to handguns, I must admit that the .357 Sig round does intrigue me. The question I have is, why isn't Ruger offering any pistols in this caliber? All of the other big players in the gun biz are doing so, and we all know that since the passing of Bill Sr., Ruger has been doing great things that he would've never allowed...so what's the problem?:confused:

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
It would be so easy for them to modify an SR40 or 40c with a different barrel. I have conversion barrels for my 40 cal glock so I can also shoot 9mm and 357 sig. Maybe someone will do the same for the SR40 or40c.

·
Registered
5,502 Posts
Unknown...not too difficult to manufacture a .40 replacement barrel for their SR40 & c pistol...I would buy one if I could get both barrels! I currently have a Glock 23...for that very reason!

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Why is it that every now and then somebody comes along with a thought i had never really wondered about, but really makes me stop and say "HUH, that is a good question!". I know Bar-sto came out with a .357 Sig bbl for the XD40 almost as soon as it came out, i always have liked the idea. It wouldn't be that hard to have a conversion bbl or for them to make a factory gun i wouldn't think!
Only thing i can think that might not permit it is the 5,000psi higher working limit of the Sig over the S&W might worry Ruger into not doing it, at least in the interest of longevity?

·
Registered
6,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
429421Cowboy: Thanks for the compliment! You'd think though, that if anyone would be unconcerned about building a pistol tough enough to handle the Sig cartridge, it would be Ruger. Heck, they're famous for "over-engineering" everything, making their guns tougher than they need to be. Hence, my confusion...what are they waiting for??

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
429421Cowboy: Thanks for the compliment! You'd think though, that if anyone would be unconcerned about building a pistol tough enough to handle the Sig cartridge, it would be Ruger. Heck, they're famous for "over-engineering" everything, making their guns tougher than they need to be. Hence, my confusion...what are they waiting for??
There needs to be more product made for Ruger semi pistols. Sure everyone loves the Ruger .22s, theres a million products for them (reason why I made my first purchase a 10/22) but where is the .357 converions, wheres my 20, 25, 33 round SR9 mags?

·
Banned
181 Posts
I don't think the question should be squarely aimed at Ruger, the aftermarket could also accomplish this I would think as well.

As to Ruger themselves, it's probably just another example of cost effectiveness. Like many of their other products that aren't offered or even made anymore, they just figured it's not financialy profitable enough to warrant it.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
Probably two reasons why there's no 357 SIG...

1) Not a big market (I've only seen empties at the range once)
2) It says 357SIG not 357RUGER.

·
Registered
339 Posts
This would be a prime area for an aftermarket company to come in and fill the gap.

·
Republican!!!
11,412 Posts

+1/2

I think the .357 SIG market is a limited and somewhat fringe market. Remember Ruger has a hard time keeping up with sales with the line they've got now. I don't think it would be a wise move for them to tool up for a caliber that would have limited attraction.

Now if they came out with an SR45, I think that would sell like hotcakes!:D

·
Registered
6,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

When I first read this, I thought, "Ruger makes pistols for the .40 S&W, not the .40 Ruger!" Then it hit me: The Ruger .40 caliber P-94 I had was marked ".40 Auto". They just couldn't bear to mark one of their products with the logo of their biggest competitor, and I don't blame them. They could do the same thing with a ".357 Auto"! But I do see your other point, as well. If the market just ain't there, they won't spend the $ to make something that won't sell enough to justify the expenditure.:(

·
Registered
4,915 Posts
Nothing against the 357 Sig, but I don't know any shooters that use it and I know quite a few shooters. None of our LGSs even carry the ammo. Can't see it as a big seller for Ruger.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
True enough..

But I'd argue that putting calling a gun "SR40" just gives that gun a market name. It isn't the specification for the proper ammo to be used. If memory serves, it's usually stamped on a visiable part of the barrel in the SR line.

·
Registered
53 Posts
all they need to do is introduce a barrel... or an after market manufacturer introduce a barrel and there ya have it...

i would like the option, people like options!

·
Registered
396 Posts
Nothing against the 357 Sig, but I don't know any shooters that use it and I know quite a few shooters. None of our LGSs even carry the ammo. Can't see it as a big seller for Ruger.

I don't know anybody that own's,carry or shoots the 357 sig.

I think it has turned into a fad like the 45 gap.

·
Registered
6,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I don't know anybody that own's,carry or shoots the 357 sig.

I think it has turned into a fad like the 45 gap.
For what it's worth, the LE agency I serve with recently tested several models of [ugh!] Glock pistols, looking towards replacing our current duty sidearms. In case you're wondering, we use Sig P220s, and I DESPISE those, don't get me started...:mad:Anyhow, several of these Austrian guns were chambered in .357 Sig, and everyone on the range that shot it really liked it. We could well end up with new service weapons chambered in .357 Sig; who knows? There is also a large agency in my area that issues the Glock in .45 GAP. Food for thought.

·
Registered
998 Posts
The .357 Sig is my favorite CCW round. I carry one version or another 60% of the time, weather it's my Sig P250 compact or my Glock 27 w/drop in .357sig barrel or my Glock 33 I'm usually toting a .357Sig. I love it for its long range accuracy and sizzling velocity. I also love the .400 Cor Bon & .40 Super but they didn't really catch on either. I just love "wildcat" cartridges.

·
Registered
6,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Dozer02: I'm betting it's a lot of fun to shoot next to you.;)

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
Popular calibre in Glock over here.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts