Ruger Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am I missing something, we have .45 LC-ACP convertible Vaqueros, .45 ACP Birdsheads, and .357 Vaqueros in various barrel lengths.......

And of course the .357-9mm convertible Blackhawks......

Is there a reason there's no 9mm convertible .357 Vaquero?

I guess I'd have to call Ruger and ask, but I wonder if Ruger would fit a 9mm cylinder to a .357 Vaquero?

·
Registered
47 Posts
I've been wondering the same thing too. Maybe if enough people send them an email they'll start to make one.
Another 9mm I wish they would start to make is a newer version of the PC9 that uses SR9 mags. If they do one in 9mm they should also do one in 45 ACP and maybe 40 S&W.
When it comes to 357 mag I would like to see them make a semi auto carbine in that caliber.
When it comes to bolt action American rifles I would like to see one in 7.62x39

·
Banned
1,907 Posts
Vaqueros as you know are primarily for the cowboy crowd who prefer traditional calibers.

But the main reason is that convertibles can typically require a sight adjustment when changing cylinders.

Ruger will not fit convertible cylinders to guns not originally offered with them.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Vaqueros as you know are primarily for the cowboy crowd who prefer traditional calibers.

But the main reason is that convertibles can typically require a sight adjustment when changing cylinders.

Ruger will not fit convertible cylinders to guns not originally offered with them.
Please explain "slight adjustment"

·
Registered
99 Posts
"Sight" adjustment. Not "slight" adjustment. Anyway, I seem to vaguely remember that Ruger did offer a small run of .357/9mm convertibles on the original, .44 sized Vaquero frame. There was also a small run of .40 cal Vaquero convertibles in addition to the more common .45 Colt/.45 acp versions.

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Looking at bullet weights and velocities it does make more sense since .45 ACP matches "standard" .45 LC velocities better than 9mm matches .357 or .38........

I have my 9mm - .357 Blackhawk and I'm happy with it, I think a 9mm Vaquero would make a fun range plinker.

I have a .45 ACP Birdshead I just got, a .45 ACP-LC Redhawk on the way and I'm looking to put a 5.5" .45 convertible Vaquero on layaway, so almost overnight I've gone from having 0 .45 ACP revolvers to probably 3 in the near future........so I went from ".45 ACP is cool" to "I LOVE .45 ACP" recently:) A real fun round in my Birdshead.

I had wanted to hard chrome by Birdshead, but then I realized, I could use the $200 I would have used for that to put a down payment on a .45 Vaquero stainless..........since I originally wanted the stainless Birdshead, I figured instead of getting a "double" of the same gun I would get something a little different.

·
Banned
1,907 Posts
I seem to vaguely remember that Ruger did offer a small run of .357/9mm convertibles on the original, .44 sized Vaquero frame. There was also a small run of .40 cal Vaquero convertibles in addition to the more common .45 Colt/.45 acp versions.
Correct, Ruger did have a special run of 357/9mm conv. on the original 44 Mag large frame Vaqueros in 2001 for Lipsey's, only 251 produced. 5 1/2" barrel only.

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Looks like my 9mm Blackhawk and upcoming 9mm GP100 conversion will have to do for my "all around cheap range gun/blaster/critter killer/etc." 9mm wheelguns:)

I had been looking at the Charter Arms 9mm snub but reviews are mixed and I decided to pass on it........I saw no need to spend $450 on one when I have a perfect candidate "spare" GP100 laying around I can convert for $250. With that and my Blackhawk I'll have a stainless SA and DA in 9mm, should keep me happy for a while. When Ruger comes out with the 9mm 4" SP101 I'll take one of those too:)

·
Spellign Bee Champ
15,335 Posts
September's almost over and we still haven't heard of any new product sweepstakes for 2015.

I've been wondering the same thing too. Maybe if enough people send them an email they'll start to make one.
Another 9mm I wish they would start to make is a newer version of the PC9 that uses SR9 mags. If they do one in 9mm they should also do one in 45 ACP and maybe 40 S&W.
When it comes to 357 mag I would like to see them make a semi auto carbine in that caliber.
When it comes to bolt action American rifles I would like to see one in 7.62x39
The much-maligned Hi-Point continues to sell their 995, 4095 and 4595 carbines. There's a market for the return of the PC9.

·
Registered
6,243 Posts
Looking at bullet weights and velocities it does make more sense since .45 ACP matches "standard" .45 LC velocities better than 9mm matches .357 or .38........
That's no coincidence - the Army specifications for the "new" pistol were that it fire a .45 caliber bullet at the same velocity as a Colt .45.

I have my 9mm - .357 Blackhawk and I'm happy with it, I think a 9mm Vaquero would make a fun range plinker.
I suspect it would be fun, but I imagine that the problem might be that the 9mm would hit at a significantly different point than the .357 Mag. I have a Vaquero in .357 and I notice that even .38 Spl ammunition hits noticeably lower.

Jim

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
I suspect it would be fun, but I imagine that the problem might be that the 9mm would hit at a significantly different point than the .357 Mag. I have a Vaquero in .357 and I notice that even .38 Spl ammunition hits noticeably lower.

Jim
I would agree with that. I have a 4 5/8" flattop convertible in 357/9MM and decided to make it my 9MM SA. The adjustable rear sight didn't quite do it for 9MM so I'll use a file and regulate the front for 9MM and shoot 357 (or 38s) out of the other SAs I have in 357. I used to think a 357/9MM convertible birdshead New Vaquero would be ideal but now I'm not so sure. I would like to see TALO birdshead family grow to include a 357 model but I won't hold my breath.

·
Viceroy 🟩🟩🟩
3,013 Posts
I would also advocate for one.

With the fixed sights you might as well just make it a dedicated 9mm only. Not that there would be anything wrong with that. For us non-reloaders, 9mm is much cheaper than .38 special or .357magnum. And 9mm makes just as good of a plinking or trail gun as a .38 special if you don't live deep in the heart of bear country.

Yes a glossy stainless birdhead Vaquero in 9mm with a 3" barrel would be loads of fun and cheap to feed.

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I tried a solution for hitting low, with my 9mm Blackhawk.........I had one of the "high" Ruger rear sight blades laying around, you can get them off MidWay or probably Ruger. The white outline "high" rear sight is quite a bit higher then the stock blade that came in the Micro sight. The higher blade also has a wider notch, making it more ideal since a very tight, fine "target" rear sight blade is virtually useless on a 9mm Blackhawk. The high rear sight blade popped right into the Micro........when/ifI find the actual, real "Micro" Ruger rear blade I have socked away somewhere, if it's as high as this one I'll put that in.

I'm going to add a line of red Testor's to the front sight, when I get to it, and hopefully shoot it this weekend to see if it hits to POA now. This is purely a range gun, so if this doesn't work I may also take the front sight down a little bit.

Also, I know they aren't Rugers, but Uberti makes a neat 3" and 4 5/8" Birdshead in .357, .38 and I think various other calibers like 44-40. I haven't looked at Uberti in a while, apparently they have gone to a more "Ruger clone" type action, with a coil spring and transfer bar type action. I'll admit I'm a huge fan of round butt revolvers of any flavor, DA or SA, and love the Birdshead Vaquero I have, so these Uberti's look awesome to me. But I can't shake that they won't touch a Ruger for durability.....if I found one used for $350 I'd probably be all over it, in .357. I would only shoot .38's through it.

Unfortunately, the prices have gone up too........I saw these Uberti Birdsheads......thought they would make cool "plinking toys" for $350, they retail for $550-600..........ugh, I'd rather spend that on a lightly used blue .357 Vaquero and have my gunsmith fit a brass Birdshead frame to it.

Uberti used to be the cheap range knocker guns, I've had a few both in cap and ball and cartridge, they did well enough. But since Beretta took them over, the prices have become more Beretta-like......I had a Uberti "open top" .38 years ago, very sweet gun, some days I wish I'd have kept it, I sold it to get cash for some other "gotta have" gun I'm sure........

Attachments

·
Banned
1,907 Posts
If you're going to have a gunsmith do it, you might consider the authentic Colt style birdshead like these Uberti Cimarrons:

Cartridge Revolvers

I vastly prefer them to the plain round Ruger birdshead.

The Uberti with coil spring and transfer bar was originally made for the Berretta Stampede and Charles Daly SAs.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts