Ruger Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just became a proud owner of this great pistol, and was wondering why this seems like the thing to do? Pros? Cons?

Also any decent mods to improve performance?

·
Super Moderator
16,265 Posts
das028 ... First of all welcome to the forum! Secondly in answer to your questions:

1. Other than adding a better set of sights, putting on a lighter hammer spring (19 or 20 lb) and adding a rail light or laser, there is very little that can be done to optimize the P345.

2. Many P345 owners have removed the magazine disconnect (aka cleaning the rear sight) to guard against the early "click-no-bang" issue that came as a result of owners dryfiring the pistol without the magazine in place (firing pin caused damage to the mag disconnect plunger). I personally see no need to remove it as long as you don't intend to dryfire it without the magazine. YMMV

·
Registered
838 Posts
It is not a big issue, one way or the other. If you think the mag safety is worth having, keep it, but if it's not something that you want to be bothered with just get rid of it. I remove them because i want to avoid the damage that they can cause plus i think they can cause more problems or dangers than what they prevent. I can't think of any changes that will improve the P345, it is a great performing pistol the way that Ruger designed it, the only thing you really need is a good holster and a few extra mags.

·
Registered
630 Posts
If there is a possibility that you will be carrying or using the gun for home defense, I would leave it in. Ive just always been told you dont want an altered gun in that situation, especially the removal of a safety feature.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
where is this magazine safety? on the magazine?:confused:
Magazine disconnects

A magazine disconnect is an internal mechanism usually on the slide that engages a mechanical safety such as a block or trigger disconnect when the firearm's magazine is removed.

·
Registered
6,722 Posts
Years of reading Massad Ayoob articles have convinced me that removal of any safety devices on your gun is a big no-no. Reason being, if you should end up in court over a SD shooting, opposing counsel will make a big deal over it ["Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, the defendant showed reckless, wanton disregard for the safety of others, not only in his shooting of my client, but also in his deliberate removal of a safety device from the death weapon!"]. Makes sense to me. All of my guns made so equipped will remain that way.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I removed mine; not because of the dry-fire issue, but because my magazine would not drop free. Once removed the problem was solved.

·
Registered
786 Posts
I have the striker fired SR9c and removed my mag disconnect because of the dry fire damage issue. I've started using the gun in competition and one of the requirements is to dry fire the gun to put the hammer (striker) down for safety reasons after your course of shooting.

·
Registered
114 Posts
If you are using it for a defense weapon and keep it locked and loaded for a defense reason, then if you happen to pull it and bump the mag release then the round in the chamber is useless because the thing will not go bang.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Many accidental discharges happen when the mag is dropped and there is still a round in the chamber, 'nough said.

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
Many accidental discharges happen when the mag is dropped and there is still a round in the chamber, 'nough said.
Accidental discharges happen when the trigger is pulled. Dropping the magazine with a round in the chamber doesnt cause a discharge. You know that. The magazine disconnect keeps stupid people from doing stupid things. I remove them from any handgun I own. I dont need something keeping me from firing a weapon because there is no magazine. Many times in stressful situations , a shooter will accidentally drop the magazine. You now have a useless lump, and it could cost you your life.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Accidental discharges happen when the trigger is pulled. Dropping the magazine with a round in the chamber doesnt cause a discharge. You know that. The magazine disconnect keeps stupid people from doing stupid things. I remove them from any handgun I own. I dont need something keeping me from firing a weapon because there is no magazine. Many times in stressful situations , a shooter will accidentally drop the magazine. You now have a useless lump, and it could cost you your life.
Yeah I left out the trigger pulling, it's what i was thinking in my head just didn't type it.:eek:

Truth is many accidents happen when people forget there is one in the chamber. My guess is many, many more accidents happen, even to long time gun owners, than people losing their life when a mag drops out.
I leave all my safeties intact. To each their own.:)

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
Years of reading Massad Ayoob articles have convinced me that removal of any safety devices on your gun is a big no-no. Reason being, if you should end up in court over a SD shooting, opposing counsel will make a big deal over it ["Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, the defendant showed reckless, wanton disregard for the safety of others, not only in his shooting of my client, but also in his deliberate removal of a safety device from the death weapon!"]. Makes sense to me. All of my guns made so equipped will remain that way.
I don't disagree in theory, but has this ever happened in real life?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts