Ruger Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The last time looked at the thread regarding the fall shooting contest, I noticed that only 21 had replied and only about ~200 or so had even read the post.

I guess I am wondering why there seems to be so little interest in a group of this size in actually going out and shooting at a target as opposed to just talking about guns and shooting.

I participated in the summer event and found it be be a lot of fun, especially to have a goal to "shoot for" - pun intended!!
Most of us are not world class shooters or anywhere near it, so there shouldn't be any reason such as "I am not good enough".

You don't have to participate in all 4 divisions - just one if that is all you have the time or type of gun for.

This sort of thing is definitely more fun when there is a decent amount of participation.

http://rugerforum.net/tavern/61873-fall-shooting-contest-2012-a.html

·
Registered
5,349 Posts
The last time looked at the thread regarding the fall shooting contest, I noticed that only 21 had replied and only about ~200 or so had even read the post.

I guess I am wondering why there seems to be so little interest in a group of this size in actually going out and shooting at a target as opposed to just talking about guns and shooting.

I participated in the summer event and found it be be a lot of fun, especially to have a goal to "shoot for" - pun intended!!
Most of us are not world class shooters or anywhere near it, so there shouldn't be any reason such as "I am not good enough".

You don't have to participate in all 4 divisions - just one if that is all you have the time or type of gun for.

This sort of thing is definitely more fun when there is a decent amount of participation.
i'd guess that maybe a lot of folks just haven't seen it since it slipped by the recent posts thingy. i know i miss a lot of stuff unless i intentionally look in certain subforums to see what's there. maybe one of us just needs to post a comment to bring it to the surface again, and people will see it and chime in?

·
Former Hoadpiler
32,418 Posts
I've been looking forward to the fall contest since the day after the summer contest ended. Half the fun is reading the comments and seeing the targets of others. I'm hoping for a lot of shooters.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
There were two things that kept me from entering the summer contest. Fisrt my camera broke so I had no way of getting a picture. The second, I don't like having to create an account on one of the photo sharing sites to be able to post pictures. They all seem to want to send ads and stuff to your email to use their site. I get too much stuff I didn't sign up for as it is. I can replace the camera but why can't this site allow picture uploads? To get more attention for the contest why can't it be made into a Sticky so it's always at the top? I had two targets that would have been 1st or 2nd place in the centerfire pistol.

·
Former Hoadpiler
32,418 Posts
There were two things that kept me from entering the summer contest. Fisrt my camera broke so I had no way of getting a picture. The second, I don't like having to create an account on one of the photo sharing sites to be able to post pictures. They all seem to want to send ads and stuff to your email to use their site. I get too much stuff I didn't sign up for as it is. I can replace the camera but why can't this site allow picture uploads? To get more attention for the contest why can't it be made into a Sticky so it's always at the top? I had two targets that would have been 1st or 2nd place in the centerfire pistol.
It is a sticky already. I use photobucket and don't get any junk emails.

·
Registered
6,532 Posts
Nothing I have time for personally. In talking with others that have seen such forum contests, many just don't have the interest. Perhaps it's the lack of really knowing the validity of the results.

·
Retired Moderator & Jazz Nerd
16,351 Posts
Dave ... While the contest participation has actually more than doubled over the past 3 years, you would think in a forum of our size that we would have at least 100+ participants each time (I keep hoping :))

I've been looking forward to the fall contest since the day after the summer contest ended. Half the fun is reading the comments and seeing the targets of others. I'm hoping for a lot of shooters.
Me too :D

Nothing I have time for personally. In talking with others that have seen such forum contests, many just don't have the interest. Perhaps it's the lack of really knowing the validity of the results.
While one of the drawbacks of a self policed contest is the potential that someone will not play fair, I don't believe it's been much of a problem (if any) here. I believe that everyone looks at the contest as a simple way to test their skills in comparison to others and to have fun in the process.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I don't know why there is so limited interest. I actually wish there were more. I did find similar results when I asked about it at my local range, little to no interest. I don't get it either. It makes it so much more fun and I especially liked the last one where people posted their targets and guns together. Maybe some people have difficulty because their ranges have distance restrictions? Perhaps people just haven't found the link yet. Maybe add the contest info as a sticky to the home page?

·
Former Hoadpiler
32,418 Posts
I don't know why there is so limited interest. I actually wish there were more. I did find similar results when I asked about it at my local range, little to no interest. I don't get it either. It makes it so much more fun and I especially liked the last one where people posted their targets and guns together. Maybe some people have difficulty because their ranges have distance restrictions? Perhaps people just haven't found the link yet. Maybe add the contest info as a sticky to the home page?
It does take a lot of preperation -printing the targets, loading up the right guns, measureing the distances at the range.

·
Larry the Conservative
5,458 Posts
At times, life gets in the way. I had every intention of competing in the last event, I'd printed the targets and the rules for use at the range. I had ammo ready to go and guns prepped. Then I ended up in the hospital for six weeks. Dang! (I'm fine now)

All I can add is "watch out the next time!!!" I'll be there guns a blazing. :D

Congratulations to all who participated and to all the winners!

Larry

1 - 12 of 12 Posts