Ruger Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
From Land of Fruit & Nuts
12,955 Posts
It's interesting how often the SP101 is called the GP101. The SP101 is the little brother to the GP100. The SP101 is a great revolver, but does not fit my hand as well as the GP100. :)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Holy crap, how did I do that? Thank you very much for pointing that out!

Best Wishes,
Rex

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How the heck do I delete/edit the thread? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated...

·
Super Moderator
21,427 Posts
Is that better. ;)

Editing a title is a mod function.

·
From Land of Fruit & Nuts
12,955 Posts
Well done Rex! The first time I saw the GP101 reference I scoured my hard copy Ruger manuals and then went online looking for the model designation. It finally dawned on me that it was really a typo for an SP101. About drove me crazy...... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Thanks for the video. I really enjoyed the turkey shoot.

Ruger got it right in so many ways with the SP.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Enjoyed the video thx. One of the things I got from it though was wife's 110 grain low recoil no over penetration. Sounds nice.:)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the video. I really enjoyed the turkey shoot.

Ruger got it right in so many ways with the SP.
It wasn't cheap, still well worth every penny. Simple, straightforward and rock solid. I think I'd like one with the 4" barrel but it will have to wait until A] the Republicans get back in office or B] I hit the lottery.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Enjoyed the video thx. One of the things I got from it though was wife's 110 grain low recoil no over penetration. Sounds nice.:)
I'm really glad you enjoyed the vid, it was a blast to make!

The 125 grain hot loads (Buffalo Bore) are explosive, I would have a hard time getting back on target. Not very deadly if you can't hit what you're shooting at! Muzzle flash is an issue too, but the energy comes in at about 800 ft/lbs. I can understand why the .357 is THE most lethal handgun round for naked apes.

On the other hand the 110 grain load (in this case Winchester Personal Protection /Jacketed Hollow Point) Doesn't blow through the target but will expand and become embedded- transferring all of the aprox 340 ft/lbs of energy. Nasty. Five rounds of that in the bread box and it's lights out. Plus my wife has no problems putting together a 4" group at 10 yards with this stuff.

The SP101 is her primary carry, making for the perfect 'total package'.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Made a slide series, anyone remember "slides", to take to a "safety meeting some years back. Trying to present some facts and dispel the false media mis-information.

Showed black powder being touched off, when compaired to smokeless, showed a .357 hand gun being fired at night - talk about FLASH!!!! and spoke about what really happens when ammo is cooked off in a fire.

Anyway, it somewhat depends on the barrel length, powder and bullet used, but the size of the flash, and the flash between the cylindar and frame can all be quite dramatic at night.

Good video, thanks.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

·
Registered
674 Posts
Nice collection and nice vid., but <"5 rounds should be adequate..."> shhhhh ;) I know what you mean, I like my SP as well. There are times when I feel better with 15 rounds in a semi-auto. That is one mongo cup of coffee.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
"Adequate" is indeed a very general term. I ride my bike back and forth to work at odd hours. The Glock 23 is kind of bulky, but if a crackhead of psycho tries to tackle me while I'm underway, yeah, I feel OK with five rounds of hot .357 mag. If I'm going around town, New Mexico is cool with open carry, so my Blackhawk holster is fine. Kind of a situational observation. Thanks for the comment!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts