Ruger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
17,571 Posts
The 42 ed Blue Book of Gun Values has it listed for $765 in new condition. Guess someone wanted it real bad.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I suspect scarcity played into it. Not a lot of SP101s in 22LR available right now.

I recently was looking for a DA/SA .22LR revolver. I found it very difficult to find one. None available in any of my local shops. NONE.

Eventually a S&W 317 airlite .22LR showed up online. Now out of stock again.

Still... that price is outer space high. Maybe they liked the number of 7's in the serial number and thought it was lucky?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys. Some S&W revolvers will bring higher dollars if they're a certain dash number or something so I was wondering if it was the same for Rugers. He made a point of saying it was a 2013 model and I wondered if there was something special about the year. Guess it was just one of those crazy things (coupled with a good selection of nice pics).

·
Registered
156 Posts
If memory serves there was an intial run of sp's in 22 then they were discontinued for a few years then came back. You all know how the gun market is. Once they stop making something it becomes valuable or they want the original version not the new ones.

·
Registered
Ruger .44 Carbine, Security-Six, Service-Six, Mini-14, .30 Carbine Blackhawk
718 Posts
62 bids, seems a few people wanted it....... or maybe just 2 really aggressive bidders.

I'm not creating an account to find out.

·
Registered
689 Posts
62 bids, seems a few people wanted it....... or maybe just 2 really aggressive bidders.

I'm not creating an account to find out.
After it hit $1000, the only two bidders left drove it up to the final price. Nice gun but $1000 more than I paid for my SP four years ago. I've been hesitating on a nearly new 3" SP101 357 at my LGS for $450 and this post didn't help my willpower at all.

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
“Ruger” and “Collectable” are two words that rarely belong in the same sentence. And I love Rugers; it’s their non-collectability that makes them likeable, to me.

I can’t think of a good reason to pay more for this gun than one would pay for a serviceable S&W Model 17 or 18. Given that two bidders felt there was a good reason, I just have to keep my speculation to myself.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I have one, with a much lower serial number, and would sell it for that price in a heartbeat. (Not looking to sell btw) I even have "Speed beez," speed loaders for it, great guns. Auctions are just crazy lately. I watch a number of auction sites, and, while an occasional deal gets through, many bidders are buying at insane prices. Sometimes it is just something you want, ( I paid way too much for a S&W 629 Mountain Gun, then ran across a different site with one for half the price) and you just get "into" winning.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
After it hit $1000, the only two bidders left drove it up to the final price. Nice gun but $1000 more than I paid for my SP four years ago. I've been hesitating on a nearly new 3" SP101 357 at my LGS for $450 and this post didn't help my willpower at all.
I just picked up a 2001 SP101 357 with spurless hammer for $450 at my LGS.
I saw it when I stopped in to buy bait and was kicking myself while fishing for not buying it. It was still there the next weekend and it's mine now. There was one little nick on the barrel that looked like it had rust, but a drop of oil, soak, and a brush cleaned it up nicely.

·
Premium Member
1,483 Posts
I just picked up a 2001 SP101 357 with spurless hammer for $450 at my LGS.
I saw it when I stopped in to buy bait and was kicking myself while fishing for not buying it.
You lucked out that it was still there. Good for you. Enjoy

·
Registered
50 Posts
The scarce and somewhat “collectible “ SP 101 is the 2 inch model 22LR. I have owned two, should have kept one.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I'm not familiar with Ruger collectibles so I'm wondering why this particular 8 year old model sold for so much. The auction is over. I'm not trying to steer anyone to an active auction.
Ruger SP101 .22LR 4" MIB Stainless 2013 mfg. NO RES. - Revolvers at GunBroker.com : 914649918
ruger may have stopped making this revolver. no one has it for sale. ruger is not in the business to lose money. if there was demand, they'd make it. right now, the semi autos are in demand.

·
Registered
24 Posts
The scarce and somewhat “collectible “ SP 101 is the 2 inch model 22LR. I have owned two, should have kept one.
I hear that!!! I bought one back in 2008. Coolest gun ever. I was later sinking under a duplex apartment investment and sold it out of guilt for spending my money foolishly. The money I got from selling it of course didn't make any measurable difference in my financial state. I totally regret selling it. I doubt I'll ever see one again let alone be able to justify the cost to buy it. I really wish they would make a 2" barrel again.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts