Ruger Forum banner

Wife treated me to a RPR and Vortex Optic but I have a few questions

2K views 14 replies 4 participants last post by  American 
#1 ·
Hello everyone! I'm new to the Ruger Forum, however, as you can guess a newly acquired Ruger and Optic brought me here. For the past two years my son and I have been looking to expanding our horizons to shooting distance and learning about the marvels of ballistics.

My wife decided to surprise me, and took advantage of the sale and financing at BassPro and picked up a RPR .308 and mounted a Vortex Diamondback Tactical FFP scope 6-24x50. She had explained that we'd be shooting at a range of 200-300 yards a majority of the time but would like to move it out to possibly 600 in the future. I've always liked Vortex reputation for service and warranty. A coworkers house burned down, after he found the damaged guns, he reached out to Vortex and they replaced all of his scopes without a question. Therefore, she explained I liked their optics and this was recommended.

Yesterday, we took it out for the first time @ 200 yards. The first thing I noticed on the scope was at 6-12x the image was awesome and clear from any point in the optic. Beyond that it "whited out" and had crescent images at different positions until after hunting for some time a clear spot could be found. After a few shots two other individuals shot the gun and experienced the same issue.

My questions..I know this happens at higher modifications and the scope has a long eye relief, but at the upper limit it didn't matter what your distance from the scope was. Now at 6-12x I could be 5-6" and it was beautiful. When at 200yrds the power seemed to have to be all the way up to 24x to see the bullseye clearly, when you could find it. Is there a scope out there that can be magnified without the white out effect? Is the scope the proper magnification for the distance we'd be shooting? other recommendations? I don't wanna kill the bank but maybe up to $700-800. I still have time to return this one to BPS and upgrade if needed. I've only ever shot with iron sights and/or red dot, so this is gonna be a learning curve.

Sorry for the lengthy first post but I welcome opinions on anything to help out. I've watched so may Youtube videos today that i'm going crazy. Thank you!

See less See more
#3 ·
Was it only in that spot? When you installed it on the rifle did you see anything wrong at that time while going through different powers? The sun can cause some weird glares even if you are not aiming in the exact direction of the sun. If everything is fine looking in a different direction then you probably need a sun shade. Hard to tell without seeing what you were seeing. Take it outside and look around at different distances and powers and tell us if things are still the same.

#4 ·
They mounted the scope for her. When we were shooting it was around 1:30pm, it was an overcast Illinois winter day. I tried it again today looking around outside, and as soon it goes above 12x is when it seems the image gets lost for lack of better terms. I know it wasn't tunneling but it felt almost like looking at the range though a coffee straw but magnified. You really had to look around the and hunt to get your image.

#5 · (Edited)
A few things come to mind. First, it sounds like the scope is to far forward. The eye relief for that scope is 3.9”. Second, check the height of your adjustable check piece, establish the height at the highest magnification, it sounds like “shadowing”. Third, adjust your side focus/parallax, that should clear things up at a higher power. When adjusting parallax always start at the high end and come down.

Edit to add; You can check the eye relief by adjusting your LOP. In other words shorten the LOP and see if that helps. If it does move your scope back. I set eye relief at max power.

#8 ·
Ok, playing around today with scope and gun, I did find since its a much brighter day the problem is much better than observed while overcast. Adding the sun shade didn't make a difference. I turned the parallax up to the infinity symbol, which did sharpen just a bit. Now keep in mind, and I'm aware that I'm pointing the rifle and scope toward my windows at an object which I measured to be roughly the same as the day I was shooting at @175yrd. I know through glass isn't perfect, or imaging the objective with a digital camera I was able to catch a similar effect using my phone. The image today on my mark was easier to observe, however it still feels over magnified and blurred out at the edges.

Attachments

#13 ·
There has to be something up here...I know a bit of optics as I dabbled in astronomy and various lenses. I seems odd it was also two additional shooters who had the same issues. Ok now for the question, is this a decent scope for a .308? As mentioned 200yrds is most likely our majority of shooting. However, I would like to eventually get out further. know, opinions on makes and models are like rear ends, we all have them. I see vast majority of guys running Vortex Viper..Again I'm open, thank everyone for the help.

#14 ·
Maybe the best plan would be to take it back and have them look at it, (it’s hard to diagnose a problem without having hands on). If the boys deem it defective I’d get another one. Granted it’s not the most expensive scope but with the rail on your RPR you should still have close to 50MOA of vertical adjustment left in the scope. That’s more than enough to get out to a 1000yds with a .308.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.