Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Former Hoadpiler
32,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I cancelled my Verizon wireless internet because I don't use it all that much but still want to get online when I travel. I've never used WiFi but see the sites when I logon to Verizon.

Any helpful hints from WiFi users?

·
Delta2
1,588 Posts
Do you mean you cancelled your home internet or your phones data plan? As for using you phone on wifi when you go away most coffee shops, hotels, some restaurants, and now even some stores have free wifi and an alert usually pops up on your wifi devise asking if you want to connect. Most of the time its free. Most popular free spots around me is starbucks and mcdonalds. But like I said before its popping up more and more these days.

·
Former Hoadpiler
32,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you mean you cancelled your home internet or your phones data plan? As for using you phone on wifi when you go away most coffee shops, hotels, some restaurants, and now even some stores have free wifi and an alert usually pops up on your wifi devise asking if you want to connect. Most of the time its free. Most popular free spots around me is starbucks and mcdonalds. But like I said before its popping up more and more these days.
I cancelled my internet phone data plan because I don't use it much. At home I use Xfinity for TV and internet.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
There is a difference between a data plan and free wifi. I don't have a data plan but my wifi works fine.

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
You guys have it so much better. :confused:
Our IT is like that of a third world country.

·
Former Hoadpiler
32,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There is a difference between a data plan and free wifi. I don't have a data plan but my wifi works fine.
Are you able to get online with wifi enough places? Thats one thing that was great about the data plan -I could get online anywhere I could get cell service.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Are you able to get online with wifi enough places? Thats one thing that was great about the data plan -I could get online anywhere I could get cell service.
There are more and more places offering free wifi. I have a app on my smartphone that is a wifi signal analyzer, it's pretty cool, driving down the road you can see which business is offering free wifi.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Free WIFI? i know there is a free app for IOS systems (apples) that maps locations with free WIFI. it user supported but apparently well supported. Public libraries is another source

·
Former Hoadpiler
32,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
There are more and more places offering free wifi. I have a app on my smartphone that is a wifi signal analyzer, it's pretty cool, driving down the road you can see which business is offering free wifi.
How easy is a smartphone to use? Would I be able to post in this forum?

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
I haven't had a smartphone very long, and admittedly it was a little frustrating at first (I'm a Windows user, zero experience with a Mac). But it's not too bad. Yeah, posting on here would be like posting from home, only with a much smaller screen and keyboard.

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
My only WiFi connection is between my wireless modem/router and my notebook computer..... :eek:

·
Registered
144 Posts
Well, kind of. Notice the wording. The record was broken in the THz range of signal. That's specific, it seems, to that frequency realm.

This record was 3Gb/s. It then compared its potential of 100 Gb/s to something else in soon-to-be commercial development, 802.11ac, and said at 15x faster. That means the soon to be is going to be about 6.667 Gb/s. so the soon-to-be tech is more than 2x faster.

I know this wasn't really relevant. I sure as hell don't know anything about it. But I figured it was interesting enough to mention.

·
Super Moderator
21,728 Posts
I have a Samsung S3 Galaxy that I got from Verizon this year. I also have the Verizon air card which I think is what you are talking about for web access while traveling. Once my 2 year deal runs out in Jan for the air card I will cease that and use the phone as a WiFi hotspot for travel. You can access with your notebook but you still pay for a data plan. If you got the minimun plan that would cut your costs and you wouldn't have to worry (as much) about getting hacked while using Starbucks WiFi. You can also use thge phone for internet access but it is a small screen so you need to enlarge and typing on a small keyboard with big fingers takes practice.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Verizon smart phones must have a data plan. At least ours do.
Yep. Their policy. Smartphone = got to have a data plan.

As someone noted earlier, you can use your phone as a modem to connect your computer to the internet.
When in a 4G area, I can connect my laptop to the internet via my cellphone and get faster throughput than with my DSL line.

·
Former Hoadpiler
32,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well, kind of. Notice the wording. The record was broken in the THz range of signal. That's specific, it seems, to that frequency realm.

This record was 3Gb/s. It then compared its potential of 100 Gb/s to something else in soon-to-be commercial development, 802.11ac, and said at 15x faster. That means the soon to be is going to be about 6.667 Gb/s. so the soon-to-be tech is more than 2x faster.

I know this wasn't really relevant. I sure as hell don't know anything about it. But I figured it was interesting enough to mention.
If I read it right the waves they used was similar to microwaves and causes a lot of heat. Yes you may tranfer a lot of data but you are going to get burnt using it.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
I'm using a jailbroken 3G Iphone, my service is through H2o. I have no data plan and I don't want one.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts

That's really just a proof of concept, the actual version will be.. well, who knows? They did say the theoretical speed could be 100gb/sec. Astounding for wireless.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts