Ruger Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The 220 Swift is to me the premier 22 caliber round, however, it's a dinky case compared to some out there. Has anyone tried (I'm sure they have) a 22 caliber bullet in a 30-06? I can imagine it would take one tought bullet to withstand those forces.

How about 22-308 (close I know to a 22-250)?

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
I'm sure its been done. Probably way overbore to be viable.
If you ever get a chance and run across reloading books called P.O. ackley volumes I and II, sneak a peak. There is wildcats out there that i have never dreamed of. Some look interesting while others i question their purpose.

I think that whenever a new cartridge is introduced, a bunch of folks immediately start wildcatting off of the new case for tickles and grins.

I use to have two wildcat cartridges/guns that i traded into. Both savage 99 rifles. one was in 30-284 and the other was in 270-308. Both guns are long gone now but neither really offered much of an advantage in the 99 that a 308 or 7mm-08 wouldn't do. Still interesting to tinker with.

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,827 Posts
I don't think they are on the market anymore but Remington used to make "Accelerator" ammo for the 30-30, 308, and 30-'06. It was a .224 jacketed bullet in a Teflon sabot. I don't remember the velocity but they were screamers and very accurate. No problems with bore wear because of the Teflon. They were pretty expensive.

The 220 Swift is notorious for being a barrel eater. Once you exceed 3500 fps, throat and bore wear accelerate. The 220 Swift can easily hit 4000 fps. No doubt, someone probably wildcatted a 30-'06/22 but I'm guessing it wasn't too successful.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I remenmber the Accelerator ammo. It just kind of died out from lack of interest, or maybe it was just to expensive.

·
Registered
704 Posts
quote:Originally posted by Walkalong

I remenmber the Accelerator ammo. It just kind of died out from lack of interest, or maybe it was just to expensive.
I thought there was a n effort to bring the Accelerator ammo back a year or two ago. I wonder if Ruger's .204 had any discouraging impact.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
I saw some accelerator ammo in a shop here yesterday, evidently it's still available. Frank

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Forgot all about the accelerator as always been to high to buy. Last time i saw any on a shelf was 30-30.

·
Registered
292 Posts
There was a .22/30-06 wildcat years ago but I if I remember right there were not slow enough powders to make it efficent. Last year I was looking for .22/308 sabots on the internet and found several companies that sold them. They had loading data that showed some .22 bullets coming close to 5,000fps.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Years ago a friend of mine built a .22/.30-06. He could never get it to its potential because he could never find a bullet that would hold together. As soon as he started pushing it beyond what he had gotten from his custom 6mm/.30-06 the bullets started coming apart. He had the same issues with that gun,too. They were both throat burners, also.

·
Registered
431 Posts
I've read about the 22-06, but it's been a long time ago. The 22/308 was called the 22 Cheeta and it was a certified bad ass. I saw a Wichita pistol in that caliber at the old Wichita Arms shop. They'd built it for an old Indy car driver name Rick Mears. Nolan Jackson, Wichta's owner, told me they were getting close to 4 grand out of a 15" barrel. I'd like to have shot one.

Molon Labe

Kim

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.