Ruger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my second thread concerning the Wiley Clapp. Who has found a decent holster for them - one that fits properly? I have been doing a little research and I am not finding a lot out there. It will probably not be carried concealed - at least in warm weather, so not really looking for IWB. I did find a few that allow the barrel to protrude and they would work for any barrel length, but having the front FO sight sticking out concerns me. Prefer leather but a cheap nylon would be good to protect it until something better comes along.

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
Any holster for a 3" Smith & Wesson K/L Frame will work. I have a 4" GP100 and a couple 4" Smiths, and they all interchange between holsters.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Any holster for a 3" Smith & Wesson K/L Frame will work. I have a 4" GP100 and a couple 4" Smiths, and they all interchange between holsters.
I see a lot of holsters for a 4" but not very many for a 3". I am sure it would fit, but was hoping for one that would match the barrel length of the Wiley Clapp better.
Even if not the WC, what are you guys using for any GP100 3"?

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
350 Posts
I actually contacted Mernickle, & they confirmed that was the correct model holster from the video. I did not ask about embellishment, as I like the plain look.

Another option is Simply Rugged. If they don't already have a holster that fits the Wiley Clapp, I'm sure they could customize one. And embossing, etc., is reasonably priced.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have a Wiley, and I found a Galco made specifically for the 3" barrel length. It's a paddle holster, which I'm not particularly crazy about. I'll try to get a photo up in a day or two with the part no.

Incidentally, my LGS had a ton of holsters for the K/L frames, but I found the K frames way too tight and the L frames were better but not exact. I agree, it's difficult to find good off the shelf leather for certain Rugers. Had the same problem with my P345. Then again, they had tons for the SP101's. Guess they stock what people are buying.

MB

·
Registered
200 Posts
I have a Simply Rugged holster for mine but it's to big for concealed carry. Great for woods carry but not so much for daily carry. I have a R Grizzle holster ordered for carry. He does not list it in his gun list but he will build it. Ryan builds some fine holsters.

Doyle

·
Registered
316 Posts
Trailmaster Holsters will have something you will like and it is custom made to your liking..
His price is to low for the holster you'll receive. I have 3 of his holsters & not one single
problem. I don't even look anywhere else now. Ask and he will send you PDF catalogs
of his stuff. Earl Southard @ 406-315-2574.

RME

·
Registered
25 Posts
Here is the one I use with my Wiley. End shot shows how barrel is covered up to the muzzle crown and no further. Took about four days of drawing from the holster to get the feel, fit, and tension right. I like it pretty well.

MB

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
+1 for Trailmaster holsters. I have quite a few of his holsters and they're all built to last. I only have one 3" and this is it.

This is called a shooters cut with the rear sight open. I don't own a Clapp, this is just the plain 3" GP with a set of compact grips. He'll make it anyway you want. Just send him an email or give him a call.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Try Simply Rugged. Bob can make you an IWB/OWB. Two holsters in one. Cost less for his handmade holster than many ready made ones on the market. I do not find a need for a thumbstrap on a DA revolver. However they are useful if you use your handgun while hunting or hiking or anywhere where you need very good gun retention when engaged in activities that require such retention. For concealed carry they are just one more step and problem.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I went on and looked at simplyrugged and i have to say those are some nice looking holsters. A little expensive but your paying for hand made quality. Thinking about getting the texas pancake but i dont know if he can make it IWB. And just to be sure there is no size diffrence from a regular GP100? Just want to make sure i get a good fit.

·
Registered
3,912 Posts
I watched that review and really liked the holster he had but I looked on their site and never was able to find it. The one that came up in your link was just plain. Maybe you start with that one and customize it. It was rather pricey at $100.
Your looking for this one:

Mernickle Custom Holsters - Hollywood Western

Just ordered the Galco SPD192 to use in the interim until I get my custom holster from Hopp Custom Leather.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I bought a Fist #14 and then asked to have it made for the 3" gp100 with an open bottom to fit larger GP's. The holster has been great, and I really like that it converts between IWB and OWB.

·
Registered
7 Posts
hey i know im years late .. but as i was reading over this thread (im looking for a new holster) ive been looking into the hollywood western listened above and the wiley clapp that has been listed. anybody have any other suggestions?

·
Registered
701 Posts
I went on and looked at simplyrugged and i have to say those are some nice looking holsters. A little expensive but your paying for hand made quality. Thinking about getting the texas pancake but i dont know if he can make it IWB. And just to be sure there is no size diffrence from a regular GP100? Just want to make sure i get a good fit.
I got the Simply Rugged Sourdough Pancake for my 4"GP100 and found it more comfortable IWB w/belt straps 3 o'clock position than OWB. Wearing it IWB takes some of the weight off the belt. I didn't expect to IWB carry the GP100 but ordered the straps anyway. I've hiked carrying my 5"GP100(43.5oz) IWB in this holster comfortably. An untucked shirt or sweatshirt and generally in cooler weather works best. I'm very impressed with the holster and the company that makes them. Mine was about $100.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 20 Posts