Ruger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone bought one of these lately? What are they going for? Your thoughts on the finish? I saw one this past weekend at a LGS in a town not too far from me. I sure looked good.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I bought a used one with a test envelope date of 8-8-12.
I don't believe the finish is going to stay "new" very long.
It shows every nick and scratch.
But I didn't buy it for the finish. In fact I'd rather have the standard Ruger stainless finish.
I bought it for the sights and "melt" treatment.

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
Has anyone bought one of these lately? What are they going for? Your thoughts on the finish? I saw one this past weekend at a LGS in a town not too far from me. I sure looked good.
WvDave, I've had mine since July so it's too early to say for sure on the finish. So far no issues with scratches or wear but then I don't carry it everyday as it's too big for that down here in Florida wearing shorts and T-shirts all the time. I've seen some dealers try to ask over $700+ but most of the prices I see are in the $650 - $700 range.

I really enjoy mine - the trigger was nice right out of the box and I haven't done any thing to it (or felt the need to) except shoot it and clean it. The only criticism I have is that every one I have seen and inspected in person has a noticeable small gap or hairline at the front of the trigger guard where it meets the frame. I think the frosted finish SS shows this more than the standard SS finish. I have several other GP100s and they all have that to some extent but it just seems more apparent on the Clapp version.

I haven't seen the new blued version in person yet but that might be an interesting option if you think the frosted SS finish is not your cup of tea.

All in all I'm a big fan. The Clapp is cool with a lot of great features that are unique.

Wave

·
Registered
116 Posts
I purchased mine new for $600, this summer.

It is an excellent pistol, a dream to shoot and it looks awesome. :)

Crappy pic but here is mine next to my LCR (.357)

·
Administrator
23,044 Posts
Whats propping it up in the pic a howitzer round? ;)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Picked mine up over the summer .
Not a mark on it ,I believe it was only fired at ruger.
I paid 419 for it.
The Lgs sold it as a used gp100. I don't think they realized it was the clapp edition.
Great shooter,even at 550-650 dollar price range.
Enjoy.

·
Sr. Exec. Button Monkey
625 Posts
Anybody seen the blue version yet? Curious if it's standard blue or some type of frosted blue or?

I think I might like the "blue" version even better.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I would like the blued version; but it has not been released as yet.
Not sure what is going on there.
Of the ones that I have seen pics of, there is one who replaced their grips with the compact GP100 grips.
Made the gun look a whole lot better to me.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Purchased NIB Paid $680.00 w/sh total cost $715.00 from gunbroker.com 3" barrel Wiley Clapp model. As much as I like shiny objects, I like the mat finish, have not experienced any scratches but I take good care of my weapons. Took it to gun range, shot .38 caliber FMJ, very little recoil. Out of box trigger pull weight is 12 lbs. Using an RCBS trigger pull scale, measures between 14 & 15 lbs. Thinking about having my gunsmith replace factory DA spring with a Wolfe 12 lbs. Or would be having internals polished by a gunsmith be more effective?

·
Registered
357 Posts
Shoot it more and dry fire it. It will smooth out. I don't mind a stout pull, actually, as long as it's smooth and my WC is smooth as a baby's fresh powdered butt.

My LGS recently stocked two at $779, one of each flavor. The light colored one was gone last time I checked. I payed $705 + $15 shipping + $30 transfer for mine.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Paid $715 last year for a NIB. It arrived with several cosmetic flaws, but not because Ruger sent it out that way. The online seller obviously sold me a display that had been handled...alot. Ruger customer service was great...made it new again at their expense. Love this revolver, especially with the compact grips I found for it...

·
Righteous Dude
21,694 Posts
KMO, nice setup! I like the compact grip addition. I love the grips it came with, but also wish it came with compacts with a similar panel.

·
Registered
219 Posts
KMO, nice setup! I like the compact grip addition. I love the grips it came with, but also wish it came with compacts with a similar panel.
Thanks! ;) The compact grips are hard to find, as no one is producing them any longer. These came to me used, but with the nice stag inserts. They seemed a good match for the WC GP-100...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts