Ruger Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the unfortunate situation of living in California and their gun a month program. That is if the gun is available and also on California's approved Safety List. Kind of hard to find a gun on both lists: Availability and California Safety.

Well at first I was looking for the fixed sight, 3" stainless GP100. Like finding Hen's Teeth. I did come accross a few Wiley Clapp versions of the same gun and almost made the order until my curiosity got the better of me. Sure enough, they were not on California's List. Bummer. So I was back to my first selection which IS on California's List. But by that time I had gotten a thing for the Novak fixed sights for that model and the fiber optic front sight.

I then wrote Ruger and asked if I could mix and match. Ie. get the standard model and then have Ruger put on the Novak Sights at a later time. They won't do the work, but said that they will sell me the parts in the Ruger Store.

Question now is, who, or how would I be able to get those Novak Sights mounted on the standard model of fixed sight Ruger? You folk know of a smith doing dovetail work to its installation? Let me know. Smithy.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Sadly the standard 3" model and the Wiley Clapp use different frames. The standard has the rear sight machined into the top of the frame and putting a dovetail in it like the WC model would take out too much metal. The WC uses the 4" and up frame which has the smooth topstrap of the frame so it has more metal to work with. It isn't a viable option to put the same sights as the WC on a standard 3" model.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sadly the standard 3" model and the Wiley Clapp use different frames. The standard has the rear sight machined into the top of the frame and putting a dovetail in it like the WC model would take out too much metal. The WC uses the 4" and up frame which has the smooth topstrap of the frame so it has more metal to work with. It isn't a viable option to put the same sights as the WC on a standard 3" model.
Why is it, do you think, that Ruger failed to mention that to me, but rather answered me by directing me to their site to purchase the two items and saying that installation was up to me? They sure made it sound as if it was a definite go, requiring the purchase and then my own installation to end up with what I wanted? Smithy.

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
Why is it, do you think, that Ruger failed to mention that to me, but rather answered me by directing me to their site to purchase the two items and saying that installation was up to me? They sure made it sound as if it was a definite go, requiring the purchase and then my own installation to end up with what I wanted? Smithy.
Smithy, perhaps you talked with someone at Ruger who was not quite in tune with the frame differences? Here's a similar thread from another forum member who wants to do the same thing and even approached one gunsmith about the work and was turned down for the reason gp10024 said.

http://rugerforum.net/ruger-double-action/60611-aftermarket-novak-cut-fixed-sight-ruger.html

I have a Clapp and a couple of GPs with adjustable rear sights and they obviously use the frame from the adjustable sight models on the Clapp. But I'm not sure you would want to dovetail in a Novak rear sight on an an adjustable sight frame either. The standard adjustable rear sight has a long section milled out in the top strap that would require some kind of filler piece to take up the extra space. Hard to describe but if you took the rear sight off your GP you'd see what I mean. The Clapp models don't get milled for the standard adjustable rear sight but get the Novak dovetail instead. And then get the 3" barrel and all the other Clapp goodies.

I'm sorry California makes it so hard on gun owners. It's a shame - the Wiley Clapp GP is a really nice revolver and it makes no sense that you can buy a standard 3" GP100 but not the Clapp.

Wave

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey guys, thanks for the info. Not that I don't trust anyone, but I have one more "for sure" place to check out what I'm thinking of and if that pans out I'll get back on here to pass on the news. Part of why the work might not be done is that TALO came up with the idea in the first place and it may not be too kosher to circumvent their design on another gun, therefore bypassing the need to purchase the TALO Wiley Clapp version itself. I'm not trying to get a poor man's Wiley Clapp special, I just want the same/or similar sights. I have no need or want for the other fancy items on that custom gun. In fact if I were able to get a Wiley Clapp version, the Grips would end up in the trash first off to be replaced with a pair of nylon Hogue's. When I know, you'll all know. Smithy.

·
Registered
63 Posts
My buddy has the WC and I have the standard 3" GP. If I could have found one as easy as I picked up mine I would have went with the WC. It is just a little nicer all around and those grips are very nice! But Altamont made them and you can get almost the same thing on their site.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well the word is in and you all were very correct in your assumptions. Novak said that the model of sight used on the WC version requires too much steel for installation on the standard Ruger fixed sight 3". Not that they couldn't hook me up with a shallower version of their sight, just not the one or the way that was done on the WC version. Smithy.

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
Sorry to hear Smithy. Bummer. You're between the 'ol rock and the hard place on this one. Does CA eventually add guns to the list you're allowed to buy? Can you appeal to the state to add something? I understand the SR1911 is another one not allowed there. That hurts.

Wave

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Nope Waveform, it's totally up to the manufacturer as to which models they submit to the California board (along with several copies of the gun and a wad of money/I mean "registration fees"). Usually most companies have just one or two models that are "California approved" and they don't go out of their way to get there. The biggest problem comes to the semi automatic handgun. There's specific features that each semi has to have even before it can be considered. A hole in the edge of the chamber is not good enough for a "loaded chamber" indicator. It has to have a bump or pin protrude so it can be felt as well as seen. Some guns are already like this like the Walther PPK/s and such, but if they don't, it's a whole lot of machining to make it CA OK. That's why Ruger's 1911 is not legal and never will be according to Ruger. Out of all the models North American Arms has, they just have two for CA: Their 1 1/8" barreled 22LR and the same for the 22 mag. Cost was an issue for them. Another example is Magnum Research only having just one model, their 44 mag, black CA model (yes it is different from standard production).

That gun has a CA approved firing pin retaining plate. Why? I haven't the foggiest. It's a PINB to remove for normal cleaning and has a sideways spring and detent to keep it semi permanently in place. I talked to Magnum Research and for less than 5 bucks you can buy the parts to make it normal again and that's totally OK with California. So why require it in the first place? I hear the Magnum Research is going to have approved the same model in a brushed chrome pretty soon. That's another peeve of mine. Make a Stainless gun and have it approved in CA, but then offer it with a laser or different grips and it's not approved. Or take the stainless gun and put a high tech black finish on it and once again, Not approved even though it is the very same gun.

Some guns are exempt from the regulation as in most (not all) single actions. Barrel length being the determining factor there. If it's short it has to be on the list. All American Derringer would have to do to sell in CA is to not machine their gun for the cross bolt safety, because it would then be exempt. Apparently they are more concerned that someone will shoot their foot off than potential California sales? Well I'm done with my sour grapes for now. Smithy.

·
Registered
5,833 Posts
Smithy...if I may suggest an option? On my 4" fixed-sight GP100 (see avatar) I installed an XS Sights Tritium front sight, which is fantastic in low/no light shooting...and gives me a nice white dot in true light shooting! $68 shipped from XS Sights! They make 3 different heights for the GP's...so shoot the gun first to see how it shoots (high, normal, or low) and they can help you select a sight that will true-up your aim by selecting the correct height front sight!

BTW...I have a brother who lives in Hinkley CA...just NW of Barstow area!

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
Wow - I didn't realize it was that bad. I'm sure your state has some redeeming qualities but the gun regs sounds pretty idiotic. But at least the bad guys can't get their hands on all the banned guns. (Said with dripping sarcasm....)

Wave

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Another funny thing is that we have just about the most anti-Gun Governor that one could ask for and in a recent rash of anti-gun legislation our good ol Governor vetoed a bill that I thought for sure he'd sign. The bill would ban an existing loophole that we have on the current safety list for handguns. Right now any police officer can buy any gun he/she pleases no matter if it's on the list or not. If they then decide they don't particularly like said gun, they can do a private party transfer and sell it to anyone (as long as they are otherwise legal to own a gun). So if I wanted, I could call up my cousin the cop and have him buy a 50 caliber Magnum Research pistol, sit on it for a few months and then sell it to me, totally legal. The bill would have ended that loophole yet Brown Vetoed it? Was he asleep? I haven't figured that one out yet. They also had a bill that would have required the same locked up status of real guns applied to BB and pellet guns and for transporting them. He vetoed that one too. His grandkid must have a Daisy Red Ryder BB gun with a compass in the stock. One that I think made it through is that open carry of a rifle is the same as open carry of a handgun (we're talking unloaded here). So going to the range will involve taking your guns to the shooting bench in a locked gun case. Stupid is as stupid does. Smithy.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Smithy I see you are in Central Calif. I lived in Fresno til 2007 and there is a gunshop in Fresno that could dovetail thing for you. They are gilmayguns WELCOME They used to be called Gilman - Mayfield. They dovetailed a 1911 slide & put novaks on for me..also put a set of Marbles on a .30-30 for me.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks Ruger 41 for the tip and link. Another option I've thought about several times before (but never had a gun that the work could be done on until now) was Goshen sights. Found here..... http://www.goshen-hexsite.com/pistols.php They offer a very interesting take on combat sights in a no snag package. I'll probably just Mag-Na-Port the gun and install some Wolff springs along with a deburr and polish job on the internals. Smithy.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.