Ruger Forum banner
41 - 60 of 89 Posts
The fastest rifle I have seen for coyote shooting is one of those AR-Platforms using a .223 caliber. Next there was a .22mag semi-auto some years ago but to much JAMMING with those and they stopped production.

I still say the .22mag with a Federal 50 grn bullet will indeed travel from one lung to the other in that coyote or put a nice hole in it's heart with that 50 grn bullet. I too shoot from inside my basement to get the sneak on those predators.

This sounds like the perfect excuse for you to purchase another firearm!!! Wouldn't a semiauto (10/22) be nice for a quick follow-up shot if needed?;):D:D No, I don't work for Ruger.
On a serious note, That fur bearer would have already met his end if I were you. I wouldn't hesitate about using the 22. Hell, at that range thats what I would prefer. Why waste an expensive cartridge on a sure thing. Like it was said before, at that range it will poke in one side of his nugget, scramble the eggs, and thats about it.
Happy hunting Brother!!

Get the Aguila 60gr "Subsonic Sniper" 22 long rifles ... a very effective round perfectly suited for your situation ... muzzle velocity is around 900+fps ... without the double report regular 22's emit. JL

I hate coyotes, they come right into our town at night and take cats. We've even had incidents where a coyote tried to take a woman dog the only thing that saved him was the chain. In our area all the cats are young with the exception of a few old veteran cats that were smart enough to stay away from the tree line. I have reason to believe that's where my cat went. Been a month since I've seen her. I consider my self a very ethnic hunter. I believe it's more about the hunt then the kill. I prefer to watch me dog work a few birds and make a retrieve and deliver to hand. But Coyotes are vermin. Dead is dead as cold as that sounds. Mangy explicitly deleted. #$@#$%^#@. As for a the .22lr. it works perfect. We've had a few get into our conibears on buddy's trap line.

I want to kill the coyote, but am not that concerned with a "clean kill" as I have nothing but loathing for these animals, and I'll be damned if they are going to take one of my pets (or anyone elses) if I can do something about it.
:( Pretty classless! Regardless of your "loathing" of the animals, it still deserves a clean kill. Purposely making a poor shot and/or making the animal suffer is VERY irresponsible, and not the picture needed of gun owners.

Discussion starter · #47 · (Edited)
I thought this thread was dead.

:( Pretty classless! Regardless of your "loathing" of the animals, it still deserves a clean kill. Purposely making a poor shot and/or making the animal suffer is VERY irresponsible, and not the picture needed of gun owners.
I never said I would purposely use a small caliber and make a poor shot so the animal will suffer. I will use the best weapon available that won't get me into trouble, and try to get whatever shot with it that will kill the yote fastest. You kinda set up a straw man with that post.

I would love a "clean kill" but I'm not getting arrested, or having any of my guns confiscated in order to do it. I'm still taking a chance with a .22lr, but much less of a chance. You're entitled to your opinion, but I don't share it. Killing is killing, and by it's nature, is not a nice thing to do. I don't like killing things as it is, but it's something I will do if I feel there's a need.

I would not shoot to wound. That is the whole point of this thread. To find out if a .22 is enough. I guess in your own way, you gave me your answer.

Discussion starter · #48 · (Edited)
This sounds like the perfect excuse for you to purchase another firearm!!! Wouldn't a semiauto (10/22) be nice for a quick follow-up shot if needed?;):D:D No, I don't work for Ruger.
On a serious note, That fur bearer would have already met his end if I were you. I wouldn't hesitate about using the 22. Hell, at that range thats what I would prefer. Why waste an expensive cartridge on a sure thing. Like it was said before, at that range it will poke in one side of his nugget, scramble the eggs, and thats about it.
Happy hunting Brother!!
Funny you should mention that. I do own a 10/22, but I feel/felt like the Winchester pump is more accurate off-hand with no scope. I recently bought a scope for the 10/22 though, and feel like it may be a better choice now.

Discussion starter · #50 ·
BTW. To anyone interested, ever since the OP, I have not seen even a trace of any coyotes around the house. Not even a print. It's like it/they sensed that I had made up my mind to shoot it/them, and disappeared. Unless someone else beat me to it!

Guys, armed pacifist may have used a poor choice of words, but calling him names is imo, another poor choice in wording. Let's please move on.
The subject is; Do you think a .22 is enough to dispatch coyotes. I think it is, do you? ;)
-Bruce

Coyote is pretty intelligent and many have lost any innate fear of man they may have had. Like the white-tail deer, their numbers have been rising, even around cities. There is some reason to believe that they are also mixing with feral dogs... The OP as far as I can tell gave no reason WHY it is needful to kill these animals, altho being on the scene might be a whole lot different than just reading a post. Ive had some "issues" that I had to resolve with a .22 out the back door so i know how it goes. One can see all sorts of negative ramifications arising from a bad shoot.... The .22 will kill a dog but it will also wound if you arent right on target. Wanting to wound and cause pain and suffering- wow. THAT serves no purpose but to add to the weight of pain and suffering in the world. I know (not believe) that what we do comes back on us in one form or another.
The idea of radiator coolant being used to poison critters is reprehensible and should be seriously illegal if it isnt already. Such a death is slow and painful for the animal concerned and once you've tried to save a pet that was poisoned you never forget it. Any person who would do such a thing purposely deserves a long drink of the stuff IMO. <rant off>

I have shot song dogs with a .22 LR just put one behind the front shoulder,
works good up to 50 yards.

First off, let me say that I am not a hunter, but I have been seeing coyotes in my back yard a lot lately. They are usually about 20-30 yards from the house, and don't even seem to notice my presence, even when I'm yelling at them. I am quite sure I could get a shot at one from this distance. I live in a suburb, with neighbors on both sides, but have about 100 yards of dense woods behind the house. I would like to be as discreet as possible as far as the noise goes because of the neighbors, but want to use enough lead to get the job done. There is a berm before the woodline, so if the round missed or over penetrated, it would hit that, then would have to travel through 100 yards of dense woods, so I am 100% confident that there is no danger to any people.

I have a .22 wichester pump that I was thinking of using, but I have some larger caliber carbines that I could use as well (AR and AK). I would like to use the .22 because of the noise, as I mentioned. I want to kill the coyote, but am not that concerned with a "clean kill" as I have nothing but loathing for these animals, and I'll be damned if they are going to take one of my pets (or anyone elses) if I can do something about it. Will the .22 get the job done?
If you can put the Bullet in a 2" circle at the 20-30 yds you'll be shooting, then your Winchester Pump will work fine. As was mentioned, a head, or lung shot will do it.

A few years ago, Guns and Ammo had a special edition called the "Complete Book of Rimfires". Clair Rees had an article called, "If I were a One-Gun Man..."

On page 34, he tells a story of how when he was a boy, his job on the farm was to help slaughter the cows. He used to stand in the corral with his .22 lr rifle and wait for the cows to be led to him. He said, "One .22 bullet in the forehead was all it took; it was a revelation that such a tiny, low-powered round - properly placed- could kill a half ton cow".

On page 36, he tells a story of a close friend of his, who was a park ranger, killed a black bear that charged him with a Colt Woodsman. "Without even thinking, he instinctively threw the gun up, took quick aim, and sent a Long Rifle round into the bruin's forehead. The brain-hit bear expired on the spot". I've heard so many know-it-alls spew all sorts of nonsense about how everything short of the most powerful magnum revolver or rifle rounds will simply bounce off of bear skulls.

I am not saying that people should use .22 lr for anything other than varmits, but the fact is that the round is lethal. It doesn't matter if you are talking a rabbit, a coyote, a cow, or a bear, the .22 lr will kill it if you manage to connect with a head shot.

Thanks for the story. :)
It doesn't matter if you are talking a rabbit, a coyote, a cow, or a bear, the .22 lr will kill it if you manage to connect with a head shot.
It's a known fact amongst American Indians that there is no game animal on The North American Continent that cannot be taken with the little .22.
-Bruce

Over the yrs I've used whatever I had at hand on yotes up to the 06. I'm too cheep to use the 300 wby or 338 by choice but when it's in hand I will.
Seeing as how your OP was about backyard work I'd pick the .22 just for ease of cleanup compared to the 06.
My best advice is stolen from the patriot movie, "aim small, miss small".

I'm willing to bet those worried about the poor thing suffering have never seen how they treat a week old fawn or your pet lap dog or cat!!

I'm with terry p......contact some local trappers. I know a man who traps coyotes legally all the time. There are many, many trappers out there who would probobly come to the rescue. Trust me trappers know the law, and know how to get rid of varmits. If you don't know any trappers, they have forum sites also, so try that. I'm sure a local trapper in your area will come to the rescue, and maybe even teach you how to do it legally yourself.

Discussion starter · #60 ·
... Wanting to wound and cause pain and suffering- wow. THAT serves no purpose but to add to the weight of pain and suffering in the world. I know (not believe) that what we do comes back on us in one form or another....<rant off>
I don't know where you guys are getting this. I really don't remember ever saying I wanted to wound it and make it suffer. If I did, please point it out and I'll go back and edit it, because that is NOT what I want to do. My whole point in starting this thread was to see if a .22 would KILL a coyote.

When I said I wasn't concerned with a "clean kill" (notice the quotes), I meant any shot that would would kill it INSTANTLY. Anything else IMO is not a clean kill. I looked up "clean kill" and couldn't find a definition of it anywhere, so I guess it's up to each individual to decide what they consider a "clean kill". If it runs off into the woods and dies later, I wouldn't consider it a "clean kill". I would rather keep the animal's suffering to a minimum, but my main concern is getting rid of this menace without getting myself in trouble.

Hope that clears things up so we can get back to the discussion at hand.

Thanks to everyone for their input thus far.

41 - 60 of 89 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.