Ruger Forum banner
61 - 80 of 89 Posts
Discussion starter · #61 ·
I'm with terry p......contact some local trappers. I know a man who traps coyotes legally all the time. There are many, many trappers out there who would probobly come to the rescue. Trust me trappers know the law, and know how to get rid of varmits. If you don't know any trappers, they have forum sites also, so try that. I'm sure a local trapper in your area will come to the rescue, and maybe even teach you how to do it legally yourself.
What do you think someone would charge for this service?

Guys, armed pacifist may have used a poor choice of words, but calling him names is imo, another poor choice in wording. Let's please move on.
The subject is; Do you think a .22 is enough to dispatch coyotes. I think it is, do you? ;)
-Bruce
+1 Bruce....and BTW as stated before i believe .22lr to be dangerously underated,in the right spot it is deadly....we dont have coyotes here in NZ but we do have wild dogs and way back we used to regulary dispatch them on the family farm especially around lambing time...most of the time they dropped on the spot....mostly shot with .22lr.

Legalities aside, I've never shot a coyote with a 22LR but considering what I've seen it do to large rabbits I'm confident I could drop a coyote with it if needed.

I have TRIED to get my wife to take the Single Six with her when she goes outside in the morning with our dog.
She will not do it.

We have had Coyotes in our back yard.
One day my wife scared off two of them but, that was foolish of her to rush them and scream. (IMO)
They ran off but, I told her if there were two then there was probably more that she could not see. It was quite dark still.
They would have ripped our little dog to shreds. (Corgi) He is fierce for his size but he cannot take on more then one.
Not at his age. Plus he has always been a family dog and never got into any fights.

I have the Single Six loaded up with .22 magnum rounds and I am pretty darn sure that is enough to kill a couple of coyotes.
I would go out with her and carry the Six with me but, I am gone to work by 4:45am.

I would deal with the local law enforcement over this because to me it is a 'threat'.

OK gents! I be frank with those that which to use the .22LR on a coyote, it is simply NOT ENOUGH GUN PERIOD. Only head shots up close will get the job done. I don't ever want to shoot any animal and not know I have dispatched it, so it can NOT RUN OFF and possibly heal up later on.

Those that that have a .22mag, I have tested all sorts of bullets for the caliber and the best one I found so far for deep penetration and holding together, is none other than the FEDERAL 50 grain bullet. I shot this out of our 2 model 93 bolt action Savage rifles. I like using the .223 much better but it is more noise and muzzle blast. I have made head shot kills on a coyote at 75 yards!...........BANG FLOP!:D

I had a raccoon in my attic a few years back and my friend dropped it with one shot from his .22 semi-auto. (.22LR)

It was a head shot.
The raccoon was in my attic making a lot of noise one day.
I knew we had some chipmunks up there and I was trying to find the access.
(I was trapping those...crackers and peanut butter. ;))
When I heard this thing rattling around I was a bit nervous.
I walked up stairs and heard slamming type sounds against whe wall of our Cape Cod style attic...kinda creepy at night. :eek:
This was BEFORE I had any of my Rugers.
(We had this 'law' set down by my wife for as long as the kids were 'little' then no guns)

Anyways my friend showed up with his 380 and the 22.
The raccoon was in an empty old computer monitor box for my old Commodore 64.
When my friend fired the 1st shot he just missed (a hair high) and it went through the drywall, across the stairway, through the next wall and ended on the floor of my bedroom.
(This is why I do not underestimate the 22LR bullet...and I was thankful he did not try his 380 first...haha...the 22 made a big enough hole to spackle)

So his next shot was dead on. The raccoon popped her head up like 'Killroy Was Here'. I kid you not.
Paws and all...it was almost cute...But not really. :p

Once he nailed this momma raccoon she spun in the box for about 20 seconds then nothing.
We picked it up gingerly (with heavy leather gloves) took her out side and poked her quite hard with a shovel.
For about 5 minutes. She was dead. No question about it.

The trash pick up was the next morning so I put her in the Captain Curby roll out trash bin.
That night my wife said she heard rustling in the bin...It was little baby raccoons.
I feel no sympathy for this animal or it's offspring.
There are way tooooo many of these animals out there today.
I am glad we got her when we did because I did not need a baby raccoon remembering where 'home' was for future generations.

Turns out I needed to add a heavy duty metal screen over the roof-top attic fan.

We have not had anything in the form of critters in our home since.
(We have had Idiots, Fools, etc, since then but no critters...Mrs Dood would probably count me as one of those or both...:D)

I am not a hunter. I have made that pretty clear on this forum.
However, I know my Single Six is more then enough for a Coyote.
I would use my Magnum Cylinder with .22 Magnum CCI Hollowpoints!

A .22 is plenty for coyote, just make a good shot.

I've seen the argument made many times about the .243 being too small/weak for deer as well- usually by someone who has made bad shots on deer in the past with their 30-06:rolleyes:

I had a raccoon in my attic a few years back and my friend dropped it with one shot from his .22 semi-auto. (.22LR)

Anyways my friend showed up with his 380 and the 22.
The raccoon was in an empty old computer monitor box for my old Commodore 64.
When my friend fired the 1st shot he just missed (a hair high) and it went through the drywall, across the stairway, through the next wall and ended on the floor of my bedroom.
(This is why I do not underestimate the 22LR bullet...and I was thankful he did not try his 380 first...haha...the 22 made a big enough hole to spackle)

:eek::eek:I hope none of your family were down stairs at the time that could of ended badly....i think inside the house a base ball bat would have been my choice...no chance of collateral damage.

We took the proper precautions for this.
A baseball bat? Would not have worked in the small area of our attic.
It is a Cape Cod house meaning half the upstairs is a small 'attic' and very hard to navigate in much less swing a bat and HOPE you hit something/anything. :)

I'd think a suppressed .22 would be first choice, even with supersonic .22 rounds they're pretty quiet. That way, if you live with close neighbors that don't shoot, they'll think you have a pellet gun.

Yes, buying a suppressor is something of a hassle, and not cheap, but they do a good job.

With all respect guys, everyone has advice on calibers. I happen to think that something is better than nothing. But consider this, why not take out the whole pack at once and never make a sound. D Con makes excellent rat poison and properly applied quanitys in the meat or other edible food that these critters like to eat would after 12 hours render these pests done. I did this on my property in Northern Wis and found 7 dead coyotes the next day, built a big fire and burned them to hell. That years Deer season turned out to be awesome. Just a thought.

With all respect guys, everyone has advice on calibers. I happen to think that something is better than nothing. But consider this, why not take out the whole pack at once and never make a sound. D Con makes excellent rat poison and properly applied quanitys in the meat or other edible food that these critters like to eat would after 12 hours render these pests done. I did this on my property in Northern Wis and found 7 dead coyotes the next day, built a big fire and burned them to hell. That years Deer season turned out to be awesome. Just a thought.
:eek: How can you be sure only thing that eats it is coyotes?

Yes at 20-30 yds , a 22 long rifle solid will certainly kill a yote. As some of the guys have said, check your local ordinances. What kind of terms are you on with the neighbors?
If both your neighbors concur with your method of pest control you're probably ok. Make sure that rifle is sighted in first, at close quarters there is little margin for error. .22 LRs ricochet far worse than most varmint calibers, be sure of what's in the woods behind you.

The tiny .22 LR is an effective killer if used carefully like within 25 yards or so. Get some solid 40 grain bullets and take shots trying to hit the beast's brain or spine (neck). A heart shot will work but this might take some time to put the coyote down. Sight your rifle dead on at 25 - 30 yards and pick your shots. .22 LR's are well known for being deflected upon hitting larger bones so avoid shoulder shots.

Get real close and take your time. Coyotes are crafty so this might be a trial.

Just wondering ?

This post started in 2011 that's 8 years ago. So, is the coyote dead yet ?

First off, let me say that I am not a hunter, but I have been seeing coyotes in my back yard a lot lately. They are usually about 20-30 yards from the house, and don't even seem to notice my presence, even when I'm yelling at them. I am quite sure I could get a shot at one from this distance. I live in a suburb, with neighbors on both sides, but have about 100 yards of dense woods behind the house. I would like to be as discreet as possible as far as the noise goes because of the neighbors, but want to use enough lead to get the job done. There is a berm before the woodline, so if the round missed or over penetrated, it would hit that, then would have to travel through 100 yards of dense woods, so I am 100% confident that there is no danger to any people.

I have a .22 wichester pump that I was thinking of using, but I have some larger caliber carbines that I could use as well (AR and AK). I would like to use the .22 because of the noise, as I mentioned. I want to kill the coyote, but am not that concerned with a "clean kill" as I have nothing but loathing for these animals, and I'll be damned if they are going to take one of my pets (or anyone elses) if I can do something about it. Will the .22 get the job done?

61 - 80 of 89 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.