Ruger Forum banner
81 - 89 of 89 Posts
You will never rid yourself of the coyote. More will just come. They are like the hog invasion, no amount of shooting or poison phases them, they just have more pups.
Proven

A .22 will kill a coyote well past 25-30 yds. When i was young, my dad could only afford a old Remington .22 bolt action and an Iver Johnson 12 ga. He was deadly with either one. He has shot many coyotes as far as 50 yds. (long steps). I dont remember that he ever left one wounded. When calves are your main source of income and money is tight, you just cant afford to lose any to coyotes.

If you are a good shot and can use the Mini-Mag hollow points, for a head shot, it will work nicely. Personally, I'd prefer a .22 Mag hollow point, but I am a pretty decent shot.

If you want to step it up a bit, go with a .223 or a .243.

Ken

Live trap, confirm species, then right between the eyes, point blank. .22 short is enough.
Please never put out poisoned bait or spring traps, anywhere, for any reason. The chance of harming or killing a friendly is just too great, IMHO.

I have killed coyote with 22lr, and I scared them really bad with a .270. If I was ambitious There is up to a $50 bounty on song dogs here. At least the last time I checked.

I’m not gonna comment about the legalities of using a firearm because I don’t know the law where you are, but anyone who thinks a .22 LR through the lungs won’t kill a coyote is full of prunes. I killed two in one morning with a 4” barreled S&W Kit Gun. Both shots through the lungs at 35/40 yards. Surely if that short barreled revolver has the umph, a rifle would do better. Shot placement, as always, is paramount. I’ve killed dozens in traps with the same gun and the same shot. They die in seconds.

Sorry, i respectfully disagree with your assessment of the Coyote. They are no different than any other of Gods creatures, and need to eat etc like anything else. They have just learned to adapt better than many animals, since we keep destroying their habitat and that of many other animals. Keep your pets on a leash or be outside with them etc. problem solved. Indiscriminately killing Coyotes just because yo do not "like" them...really?I spent 12 years in Scottsdale ,AZ and Coyotes were a daily occurence along with Havilena(sp) , Bobcats and other critters that would walk right through the yard. Never found a need to shoot any of them. I had 4 cats(kept inside),a Lab and a 12 lb poodle!! I never let the poodle out in the yard without the Lab...never had a problem.

Sorry, i respectfully disagree with your assessment of the Coyote. They are no different than any other of Gods creatures, and need to eat etc like anything else. They have just learned to adapt better than many animals, since we keep destroying their habitat and that of many other animals. Keep your pets on a leash or be outside with them etc. problem solved. Indiscriminately killing Coyotes just because yo do not "like" them...really?I spent 12 years in Scottsdale ,AZ and Coyotes were a daily occurence along with Havilena(sp) , Bobcats and other critters that would walk right through the yard. Never found a need to shoot any of them. I had 4 cats(kept inside),a Lab and a 12 lb poodle!! I never let the poodle out in the yard without the Lab...never had a problem.
I'm sure there are a lot of farmers and ranchers that might argue that point with you. Coyotes have become a problem when not thinned out. They always become overly abundant when not kept in check.. They are smart too. They know how to get a dog to chase them by having one act wounded, then when the dog gives chase, more coyotes come in from the rear.

81 - 89 of 89 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.