Ruger Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Pretty sure New Vaquero grips only fit on New Vaquero grip frames...unless you're talking about Birdshead, which are universal across all Ruger single action revolvers.

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,097 Posts
DaveTN, Super Blackhawks can have 3 different types of grip frames …. Bisley, Dragoon (square trigger guard), and XR3-RED. I've never seen a birdshead grip frame on a SBH, but it would also fit. None of these are the same as a XR3 grip frame on a New Vaquero or a NM Blackhawk Flattop. So the answer is what Cowpokey said ….. no.

·
16,097 Posts
DaveTN, If you remove the rubber grips, you will see your SBH has a square trigger guard, which is standard on 7 1/2" models. This grip is larger than a normal XR3 or XR3-RED. Most places that sell grips for SBHs will state "for Super Blackhawk with a square trigger guard".

Cowpokey, Nifty birdies but they are Blackhawks, not 44 Mag Super Blackhawks. I don't think I would care to shoot a 44 Mag with a birdshead, but then again I'm not a recoil junkie anymore.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Cowpokey, Nifty birdies but they are Blackhawks, not 44 Mag Super Blackhawks. I don't think I would care to shoot a 44 Mag with a birdshead, but then again I'm not a recoil junkie anymore.
Iowegan, Not trying to spread bad information. I guess I read the advertisement wrong. I don't have a Blackhawk or a Super Blackhawk. I did put a SBH hammer in my NV 5109 (357 Mag). My 5162 Birdshead (357 Mag) NV came with the same SBH hammer NIB. Both are sweet shooters.

Attachments

·
Registered
251 Posts
The only things which make a “Super” Blackhawk a Super instead of a Blackhawk have traditionally been the non-fluted cylinder, Dragoon (square trigger guard) grip frame, 44mag chambering, and the SBH wide spur hammer. Naturally, in recent eras, Super Blackhawks with shorter barrels have been offered with fluted cylinders and XR3-RED grip frames.

The new “Carry Hawk” model is listed as a Blackhawk, but the offering has more traditionally “Super” features than some of the current labeled Super Blackhawks, and has “Super” features which have never been offered in Blackhawks. So calling it a Blackhawk, rather than a Super, might not make much sense. But at least it makes more sense than calling a Super Redhawk framed revolver a GP100...

The real ticket, of course, for the OP, is simple - Super Blackhawks have not had XR3 (original or modern facsimile) grip frames, such the New Vaquero grips won’t fit any era of Super Blackhawk.

·
16,097 Posts
Reticlelife, New Model Blackhawks (not mid-frame models) and Super Blackhawks share the same exact cylinder frame. Cylinders are the same diameter and body length but are caliber specific, however models chambered for larger cartridges have slightly longer front flanges so larger caliber cylinders won't fit in a gun with a smaller bore. Most SBHs have non-fluted cylinders and most BHs have fluted cylinders, except for special models. Internal parts are the same except hammers, where SBHs have a wider and lower spur. Blued Blackhawks have aluminum alloy grip frames but stainless models have stainless steel grip frames. 4 5/8" and 5 1/2" SBHs have XR3-RED steel or stainless steel grip frames. 7 1/2" and 10 1/2" SBHs have dragoon style steel or stainless steel grip frames. Some Blackhawk models are available with birdshead grip frames, however I have yet to see a birdshead GF on a factory SBH. Both models are available with Bisley grip frames. SBHs are chambered in 44 Mag, 480 Ruger, 454 Cas, and some limited edition Hunter models in 45 Colt. Blackhawks are available in 30 Carbine, 32 Fed Mag, 357 Mag, 41 Mag, 45 Colt and 45 ACP.

The "Carryhawk" is chambered in 45 Colt/45 ACP with a birdshead grip frame, which are primarily Blackhawk attributes. With Ruger, never say never or always because there will be exceptions with the Carryhawk being a perfect example.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I have a XR3-RED on a NM SBH..and have also fitted a Stainless Birdshead on to one.
To be certain my statement was clear - the XR3 and XR3-RED are not the same grips. Vaqueros, Blackhawks, and short barreled SBH's sport the XR3-RED grip frames (XR3 - "REDesigned"), while the early mid-frames, and the New Vaqueros in question, among a handful of specific other Blackhawks, sport XR3 sized grip frames. SRH's, never have from factory.

Any and all of the above can bit fit to eachother, so custom modifications notwithstanding, again, there hasn't been an SBH with an XR3, new version or original.

·
Registered
251 Posts
With Ruger, never say never or always because there will be exceptions with the Carryhawk being a perfect example.
Others may have needed the explication of the cylinder length variations Ruger incorporates, but this sentiment was the point I was attempting - and obviously failed - to make.

If it fits, Ruger will probably strap it together at some point, and the name is just a name...

Even if it's something completely new - like a Super Redhawk with a Redhawk nose job (Bowen GP44-esque) chambered in 357mag - they might put some ill-fitting, random model name on it. The only part the Super GP100 shares with a GP100 is the grip and sights - like all Super Redhawks already did... Or relaunching the large frame Vaquero, labeled as a New Vaquero because it has a RIP system, despite all other design features and dimensions matching the original the 44mag Vaquero...

No sense in taking comfort in consistency with Ruger model taxonomy and etymology - especially within the plethora of models released in the last ~10yrs.

EXCEPT - the fact Ruger hasn't ever shipped a revolver labeled as SBH with an XR3 grip frame... Yet...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts