Ruger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title says, I'm planning my next big purchases and there's only one folder that I'm interested and it's also the most expensive, hardest to get one. It's the AC556 stock, the same one used by the A Team tv series. I plan on using it for a 197 series Mini 30. I think it would work but not sure and I'd like to hear people's opinions on it before I lay down $700 for a really expensive hard to get stock. Thanks again :D.

·
"The Real Deal"
8,039 Posts
As the title says, I'm planning my next big purchases and there's only one folder that I'm interested and it's also the most expensive, hardest to get one. It's the AC556 stock, the same one used by the A Team tv series. I plan on using it for a 197 series Mini 30. I think it would work but not sure and I'd like to hear people's opinions on it before I lay down $700 for a really expensive hard to get stock. Thanks again :D.
Well, I have never tried it. I do know that I swapped the stocks on my mini 14, and mini 30 with hogue over molds, the hogues will fit either rifle, but I am not sure about the wood original stocks. It should be very close, maybe minor fitting. ;)

·
Registered
54 Posts
The A Team never used any AC556s. They used stainless Mini-14s with factory collapsible stocks and after market, pin-on, flash hiders. As for using a factory Mini-14 stock on a Mini-30; you may need to 'hog out' the rear of the magazine well on a Mini-14 stock in order to fit a Mini-30 magazine well reinforcement.

A point of history:
The original factory Mini-14/AC556 collapsible stock is a near identical copy of the original Feather Industries collapsible stock, circa late '70s/early '80s. The only obvious difference is with the pistol grip. The Feather stock used an AR15/M16 pistol grip while Ruger used a grip of their own design. I often wondered if Ruger purchased the patent rights from Feather for that stock.

From an August 23, 2010 posting on "The Firing Line":
There are a lot of differences between the AC556 and the Mini-14. The receivers are different - AC556 is slightly wider and configured differently. You've got the full-auto and tri-burst parts as well as the selector. The cut-outs on the stock are different - AC556 receiver will not fit into a Mini-14 stock (but the reverse is possible). Next time you watch the A-Team, you will notice that there is no selector switch on the rear right-hand side of their rifles.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I agree with Dan....
I just tried both my walnut stocks from a 196 Ranch and a 197 Mini-30
The Ranch will fit [sorta] the .30 but not vice-versa.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
I am not sure of the differences between the AC556 receivers from the non select fire receivers, but the magwell area should be the same. I have fitted new Ruger Mini-14 stocks, both wood and synthetic, to my 189 series Mini-30's. It only took about 3 minutes of taking some material off on both sides of the center of the magwell with a rasp, so as to be able to spread open the stock reinforcement (on the wood stock, no reinforcement needed on the synthetic), to accomodate the wider Mini-30 magazine. Pics of my older Mini-30's with new Ruger stocks:

·
Registered
54 Posts
From a 10-16-2011 posting on uzi talk:

Here are the before and after pictures of the mini-14 stock now fitted to my AC556k.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wow this topic took off. Yeah I know the A team didn't have the full auto AC556 it was the semi auto version the GB I think. I just said AC556 in the topic as that's the version most people think of with the folding stock. Thanks for the replies all. It's an expensive investment to make, still not sure about it as I could buy a used Mini 14 for as much as the stock costs alone. While we are on the subject here, Buttler Creek makes a polymer clone of the AC556 stock with a very similar folding action. Anyone here ever try that one by chance? That only costs a little over $100 for the Buttler Creek option.

·
Registered
4 Posts
On the topic of Mini-14 to AC556 side folding stock conversions, any recommendations on a Gunsmith who can do the job?

Any info is appreciated 🙂

·
Registered
4 Posts
The stock was definitely pricey. I took the AC556 out of its standard stock and took off the excess material on the Factory Folder until it married up and fit.

The 18" barrel is the next thing to modify. The 13" stumpy barrel will finish the job.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts