Ruger Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone! Im new to the 10/22 . I have the regular 10/22 carbine with the factory blue barrel with these mods - kidd bolt buffer and kidd extractor. I just bought the CCI stingers at walmart for **$5.77** What a DEAL that was! I usually see then for $7.99 Or more so i couldn't let the opportunity pass me by and bought the last three 50 packs .

I remember seeing the warnings in the manual saying to do not use *Stinger* in the target version and tactical . Also on the back of the Stinger label it said "USE ONLY IN FIREARMS HAVING STANDARD ANSI SPORTING BARREL/CHAMBER DIMENSIONS. Basically I'm wondering if the stinger will wear the rifle/barrel components noticeably faster if extensively used compare to...say mini mags ? Is my stock barrel ANSI ?also what part/parts would most likely show signs of damage/wear first in the long run ? thank you ahead of time for your inputs.

·
Registered
41 Posts
CCI Stingers use a slightly longer case than a standard .22 Long Rifle cartridge, .694" long as opposed to .595". As a result .22 firearms with tighter than normal SAAMI-spec chambers may end up generating too high a pressure and/or have feeding/extraction issues. In a normal chamber they are just fine and really don't generate enough extra pressure to hurt the lifespan of a .22 as over-engineered as the 10/22 is. Little pocket .22s like a pot-metal Jennings are a different story.

·
Registered
290 Posts
What about useig Stingers in a SR22? I bought a box a while ago but have not fired them yet! Now I am concerned about hearing the have a longer case. Will they cause any damage?

·
Dog Soldier
1,782 Posts
I have shot them in all of my .22s.
All are quality guns and have had no problems.
Shoot'um if you got'um!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks everyone for the peace of mind. now i can shoot the stinger without fear of a major failure .I usually shoot federal bulk and don't plan on shooting the stinger alot ,i just like the occasional hyper velocity bang once in awhile . Any Thoughts on the Aguila Supermaximums that suppose to be in the 1700s fps range? . i have heard rumors that the Aguila SM is a dirty round (True or False?) but for the price of $4.95 and the firepower its packing, i wouldn't mind . Would you agree that its #1 in the self defense category of the 22LRs

·
Registered
41 Posts
Two schools of thought exist regarding using the .22lr for defense. One says to use a hyper-velocity round like the Stinger, which will expand violently and make a pretty nasty (though shallow) wound. The other says to use quality solid bullets like Mini Mags since they're the ones most likely to penetrate far enough to reach deep into the vitals. Personally, given the ease of shooting a 10/22 and the plethora of 25-rounds mags available for it I'd say any combination that's 100% functionally reliable will do.

·
Registered
18 Posts
In that case for self defense just load a few 25 round magazines with alternating Mini Mag, Stinger in the same clip. Now you have the best of both worlds.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Very Interesting Read I wasn't aware of the differences myself, but now I'm sure as well that I'm not the only one who has some peace of mind over using the stingers.

·
Registered
345 Posts
In that case for self defense just load a few 25 round magazines with alternating Mini Mag, Stinger in the same clip. Now you have the best of both worlds.
Hopefully your Aim is the slightest bit accurate and 25 rounds aren't needed lol. Hell, 4 rounds in rapid sucession center mass should take care of it ;)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts