Ruger Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Given the recent release of the Ruger American Pistol in 9mm and 45acp, does this mean that there will not be an update to the SR series design as mentioned in the SHOT SHOW rumor thread? If that is the case, it would be areal shame as an updated SR series would seem like a good idea. Getting rid of the LCI or making it smaller, making the manual safety and the magazine disconnect available as options, and giving the frame a rail mount more like the Ruger American Pistol would be welcome by a lot of shooters, I believe. Not to mention dovetail mount sights and a slide shoped more like the 9E for added iniformity.

·
Registered
524 Posts
I bet Ruger keeps the SR series for sale in states like California, Connecticut and Maryland. Some states require all those lawyer features on guns.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Could possibly depend on how successful the American series turns out to be; and what future variants are offered. I still have no problem with the manual safety and the lci (smaller would be nicer though) of the SR series but don't really see the mag disconnect as a positive.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Never desired the SR series due to all the safeties. As soon as the American hit the stores I was on it. The two guns appeal to two different types of gun owners as I see it. I expect Ruger to continue the SR series as is for those states and people that want the safeties. For those like me there is the RAP. Life is good!

·
Registered
118 Posts
I still don't get why everyone gripes about the safeties on the SR series of pistols or other pistols with manual safeties, but most like the 1911 and it has manual safety and other safety devices.
I guess it doesn't bother me cause I grew up shooting a Taurus 92 AF and S&W 459 and other older hammer fired pistols. I didn't really get into the hole polymer pistol trend until I got my XD then like striker fired over hammer fired. I would still love to have a good hammer fired poly pistol, but not really many out there, ones that are don't really catch my eye or didn't feel right when I tried shooting them.

All I know is I really enjoy shooting my SR9 & SR45 pistols and I have trained and trained to lock in that muscle memory about the safeties. There where even times when I shot my XD my thumb would look for a safety.
I really want to shoot this RAP now since I keep hearing the pro's and con's about it. Hopefully someone at my range will have one and let me load up a mag and shoot it.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
I'm pretty sure Ruger has already said there will be version of the RAP with all the safeties and other stuff. So they won't keep the SR's for that reason alone.

My guess is that they will phase them out over time, but that sales will have a lot to do with that. Similar to the multi-year shift from the P series to the SR. There is no point in stopping production of them if they still sell well enough to justify the lines. If the RAP takes off then the SR's probably are in trouble, though.

Not that I have any intention of getting rid of my SR9E or SR40. Just like I still have my P89.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
If they don't make an AP in 40s&w then I will end up getting a SR40.
It's getting harder to find .40 S&W handguns of any type. Even law enforcement is drifting away from the cartridge designed for duty use and self defense.

Gotta admit, I too am shooting more 9mm and .45 ACP.

Jeff

·
Registered
520 Posts
It's getting harder to find .40 S&W handguns of any type. Even law enforcement is drifting away from the cartridge designed for duty use and self defense.

Jeff
It seems that when im out looking at guns or ammo, the 40's are the big "on sale" guns as well as the .40 ammo. Shelves are always full too. Just an observation. To each his own....

·
Registered
537 Posts
No, to my understand and it was on the y-tube with Ruger CEO Mike Fifer shooting the AP in (9) and on the written portion it said the next step will be the safety versions. Also the current AP is called the Pro edition (by Fifer) Rugers words.
So in the life of the SR family it's days (years :p )are numbered IMO and I was still wanting a SR45c :rolleyes:
the video was linked through a NRA e-mail

Just found link NRA American Rifleman good read:

http://www.americanrifleman.org/art...wsletter&utm_medium=insider&utm_campaign=0116

1 - 16 of 16 Posts