Ruger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ruger purchasing contacts are hinting that wood stocked-rifles may be cancelled, or possibly suspended for a couple years. Sales backlogs are huge, up to 2,3 years 80 to 90% injection and synthetic stocks on long guns. So it makes sense. Kinda.

10/22 and pre-paid exclusive No. 1 rifles, when ordered, will be unaffected. So it goes.

Question is: would today's wood stocked rifles values rise notably if new production went to synthetic Rugers only??? Crystal ball time.

Note- when I asked about wood for the Marlin designs, I got silence. So we'll leave that angle alone. Personally I'm sure they won't sink the launch of those lines prematurely.

🔮🔮🔮

·
Registered
8,601 Posts
It’s hard to say, if you’re in your early 40’s you’ve grown up with synthetic stocks. If you’re 60 plus you’re probably a wood guy. If Ruger stopped selling wood, I’d stop buying……..I guess I’d have to “cancel” them.

·
Viceroy 🟩🟩🟩
3,395 Posts
Everything is jacked up. My neighbors moved into their house just in time for a furniture shortage. They got a good deal on some nice Italian leather couches and chairs with hardwood frames, and placed their order right when COVID was starting to make the news in January of 2020. The normal lead time on that imported furniture is ~4 months. Well it's almost two years and they still have no idea when they'll get their stuff.

Not surprised anything made out of wood is backlogged. Even if it is the softer or lower-grade wood that goes on base-level "popularly priced" guns like 10/22s and Marlin 60s (if / when they ever come back).

·
Registered
11,564 Posts
It’s hard to say, if you’re in your early 40’s you’ve grown up with synthetic stocks. If you’re 60 plus you’re probably a wood guy. If Ruger stopped selling wood, I’d stop buying……..I guess I’d have to “cancel” them.
What if someone was in their 50's?

·
Registered
770 Posts
Then you should remember that when 10/22's 1st came out with synthetic stock, they cost a bit extra. I special ordered a synthetic/stainless 10/22 many years ago. Then wood & synthetic stock 10/22's were the same price for many years. It's possible someday that wood stocks will cost extra.

·
Registered
11,564 Posts
Then you should remember that when 10/22's 1st came out with synthetic stock, they cost a bit extra. I special ordered a synthetic/stainless 10/22 many years ago. Then wood & synthetic stock 10/22's were the same price for many years. It's possible someday that wood stocks will cost extra.
Actually my friend, I don't remember that. I bought my one and only 10/22 just a mere 4-5 years ago. Now when I bought my 22 mag (Marlin) which was many many MANY years ago, I don't recall any synthetics ... but you know what was available? If you said laminated stock, you'd be correct. It would be interesting to know when and who made the first laminated stock.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
That's me...mid 50's
I grew up with wood because that's all there was.

Once I worked for a while and had some $ for discretionary spending, all the latest, greatest, new models were synthetic and had to have those.

Now? I'm doing retirement planning and cost is a big driver. I don't much care what the stock is made of. I'm not a collector. I'm a hunter and use my rifles in the field. I guess I've decide that I'm getting too old to worry about pretty guns. Like with a new car, I should just put a scratch in right away and not fret about keeping it like NIB.

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
17,571 Posts
If a dog pees on the tire of a car, gun prices will go up ..... or any other such event. We have seen the largest increase in gun prices this past year than any other time in my life. Some used guns increase in value more than others, especially if that specific model was discontinued.

Short story .... Several years ago, the town I grew up in had a really powerful tornado hit. Several hundred walnut and oak trees were uprooted, some over 100 years old and huge. The Weyerhaeuser company made a deal with the city. They would do a total cleanup of the town in exchange for the felled trees. After about a week, the town was as clean as possible .... not a single mess was left. I've often wondered what the value of those tree were worth???

Walnut lumber has always been expensive but today, hard woods are getting scarce so gun stocks have skyrocketed in price.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Lowegan, my father-in-law had a walnut tree on his farm that was planted around 1888 when the farm was founded. That tree has a base that is over 8 feet in dia. and limbs that are over 3 feet in dia. 25 years ago a gun stock manufacture offered him $15,000 for the tree, he turned the offer down. I hear that the Japanese veneer manufacture people will pay even more for the huge walnut trees.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I do not think values would increase except for some wood stock models that were in pristine condition. Most rifles are purchased to be used for whatever purpose the buyer intends. I don’t see that driving users to wood stocks over synthetic stocks.which have weight and durability advantages. However, if a person is looking for a beauty for light use and to display I think a wood stock would be more valuable.

·
Registered
669 Posts
I like wood ,,,, if it's nice wood . The low budget ubiquitous mystery hardwood with paint on stain/sealer so many employ for utility guns ,,,,,,, Meh, I can live without them.
Synthetic stocks may not inspire you but they can work very well. That is if they are QUALITY synthetic stocks. The blow formed poly stocks most used on utility guns are not that.
Cheap is cheap no matter which material is used.
Quality and performance on the other hand will be welcomed.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
This may happen but I don't see the "shortage" of rifles that would suggest Ruger would do this for that reason. There are plenty of handguns and rifles on the shelves at the gun shops I visit, including Rugers. Ammo is more the problem still. I could see Ruger doing less wood for cost reasons - keeping prices down on the synthetic models and making wood the premium option makes some sense. But they aren't going to re-launch Marlin with exclusively synthetic stocks.

·
Grand Inquisitor
2,313 Posts
Zero interest in anything but woodware on my long arms. I have seen laminate stocks that look superb.

So I'd not be buying new if plastic was my only choice. I'd instead look for used guns with walnut or other wood (including laminates) to fill any needs, which at this point are few. Plastic does not look or feel right. More for those who like it.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I like wood on all my guns and avoid most all that don’t. The only rifles that I have with plastic stocks are a few old school AR‘s with Colt/milspec furniture from the ‘60-80s. Some of my auto pistols have plastic type grips, but that’s it, and the rest of the firearms are all steel or metal alloy. No plastic/poly bang bangs for me.

As for the 10/22, I don’t buy any after 2008 because of the poly trigger housing and barrel band, that’s where I drew the line. The switch to the plastic buttplate in 1977 was bad enough. I will come clean and confess though, I did pick up a 2008 Charger when it first came out not knowing Ruger switched to a poly trigger housing/group, and I somehow ended up with a NIB stainless Mannlicher that has a poly housing that I haven’t traded off yet (the walnut stock is nice though).

·
Registered
64 Posts
Zero interest in anything but woodware on my long arms. I have seen laminate stocks that look superb.

So I'd not be buying new if plastic was my only choice. I'd instead look for used guns with walnut or other wood (including laminates) to fill any needs, which at this point are few. Plastic does not look or feel right. More for those who like it.
That’s exactly how I am. ;)

Btw, I find Ruger 10/22 laminates very interesting having bought my first one in 1988. I still think it was one of their best of the laminate colors. They fetch a fine sum nowadays. I regret ever trading it.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts