Ruger Forum banner

41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
Banned
4,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Am new here and just caught the thread. I have the Win. 1300 Upland model in 12 gauge bought back around 99. Wanted something for Upland bird and to use with buckshot for deer. I found the shorter barrel of 24 inches is making my buckshot patterns open up too quickly. Can anyone recommend a load which is designed to keep a tighter pattern at say 20-25 yards? I hunt in heavy brush mostly hence the buckshot loads over slugs. It uses screw in chokes and I heard Carlson puts out a Coyote choke which holds a tight pattern for extended range.
What chokes do you have ? I have a 1300 featherweight with several winchokes from cyl through to full and found modified throws OO buck pretty well.There must be plenty of old winchokes still kicking about at gun shops and shows.cheers KIWI

·
Registered
391 Posts
Hey pal. Gun came with full, mod, and imp. cyl. using the mod. tube for buck shot. Hit a deer 2 years back with triple 0 and dropped with only 1 pellet scoring a hit in the muzzle area. Have tried Fosters with Imp. cyl choke but group is lousy. Am glad to hear of some positive comments on the 1300. Took a ribbing on my aluminum receiver and because it is not a Model 12. This gun has beautiful Grade B walnut and is guaranteed for use with steel shot. think they listed for around $400 back in 2006. I like it despite the kick when using buck. Decent bluing too.

·
Registered
10,156 Posts
Kiwi wow thats a nice 1300 there! Seems to me every rifle, shotgun etc you show here is nice!!! I think our fish and game over here in the US needs to learn from you guys how to manage wildlife big game fishing etc atleast here in Utah they cannot seem to do a very good job!!! Thanks again for sharing!!!:D

·
Banned
4,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Kiwi wow thats a nice 1300 there! Seems to me every rifle, shotgun etc you show here is nice!!! I think our fish and game over here in the US needs to learn from you guys how to manage wildlife big game fishing etc atleast here in Utah they cannot seem to do a very good job!!! Thanks again for sharing!!!:D
Hey gqcool thanks for that Mate,i guess sometimes having a close friend that owns a gun shop helps,i sometimes deal wise get spoilt for choice:).

I guess as far as manageing Wildlife/hunting and fishing we are also lucky we have a relatively small population (for now if our failed immigration policys dont ruin it )and have far less people than you guys wanting to utilize our outdoors.
It was definitely better a few years back with less people less restrictions and more private land owners that were pro hunting,but yes we are a lot better off than many places in the world with regards to hunting.
cheers Mate KIWI

·
Registered
326 Posts
Had a 1970 era made 1200(bought in '70), wish I'd kept it. For sentimental reasons if nothing else. Went on a lot of fun hunts with the 'boyz' with thee Ol' 12 gauge. The only reason I got rid of it was that I wanted a shotgun with a vent rib.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Growing up my dad was always somewhat of a Winchester connoisseur and I have big ol' soft spot for them still. Some years back I picked up a 1300 Defender and it's been guarding the home front ever since. Keep it loaded up with 7+1, 2 3/4", 00buck. Have a six shot side saddle and a nine shot stock sleeve loaded the same except for three rifled slugs on the stock and a Streamlight flashlight riding point. It's a straight up can of WA you don't want opened up on you. All my buddies go on & on about their Mossbergs or 870's. I wouldn't trade my 1300 for any of them.

So, to answer your question; yes Sir, I am a fan and I love my little 1300.

Thanks for the thread, always good to know you're not the only one out there that likes something.

Take it easy,

·
"The Real Deal"
6,586 Posts
Growing up my dad was always somewhat of a Winchester connoisseur and I have big ol' soft spot for them still. Some years back I picked up a 1300 Defender and it's been guarding the home front ever since. Keep it loaded up with 7+1, 2 3/4", 00buck. Have a six shot side saddle and a nine shot stock sleeve loaded the same except for three rifled slugs on the stock and a Streamlight flashlight riding point. It's a straight up can of WA you don't want opened up on you. All my buddies go on & on about their Mossbergs or 870's. I wouldn't trade my 1300 for any of them.

So, to answer your question; yes Sir, I am a fan and I love my little 1300.

Thanks for the thread, always good to know you're not the only one out there that likes something.

Take it easy,
I am jealous, I have always wanted a 1300 defender with the blonde wood stocks from the early to mid nintey's to match my 28" i have from the same period, its the first shotgun I ever owned. Man they are elusive, and hard to find in great shape. Like I said I am jealous..;)

·
Registered
502 Posts
I am jealous, I have always wanted a 1300 defender with the blonde wood stocks from the early to mid nintey's to match my 28" i have from the same period, its the first shotgun I ever owned. Man they are elusive, and hard to find in great shape. Like I said I am jealous..;)
Sorry, my friend, mine is all black synthetic. I was on the fence of getting the marine version but decided for what I was doing with it less reflective would be better. I do love the chromed-out look of the marines though.

·
Registered
690 Posts
I gotta late 90's 1300 12ga combo. I hate to think how many thousands of rounds have been put threw her shooting trap and I have never had a single problem with it. I bought it after having two 870's that were total lemons.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I am a diehard 870 guy but my first shotgun was a 1300 ranger 20 ga traded it for something? . I now have a 1300 xtr featherweight 20 ga has nice wood smooth pump great gun. mine has the full length forearm , I woulg like the corncob if I can find one. I handled the new turkey made pumps they are a good value if you don't mind made in turkey. Used 1300's are very affordable .

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have a 1200 that dates to 1969 I believe. Just a wonderful Winchester. I bet the 1300 is every bit as good.
I have one in 20 ga purchased in 1973 at the Ismir Turkey NATO rod and gun club for my wife while I was stationed over there. She got quite good at skeet with it, and carried it boar hunting a few times, loaded with slugs.

·
Registered
880 Posts
My friend, that's a heckuva fine and dependable working shotgun you've got there.
Used the "Turkey Gun" configuration for a few years. With the Win-choke tubes, doubled as a bird gun. A close friend is still using it. Really nice, very fast action. Winchester called the 1200(2-3/4") and the 1300(3") "Speed Pumps" and, at least in my experience, they surely are!

When the Model 12 was replaced by the 1200-1300 series in 64/65, there was some shooter hesitancy b/c of the aluminum receiver compared to the steel of the model 12. However...that "artillery-style" locking bolt of the 1200/1300 was/is so darn strong that, combined with the lightweight receiver, made for a fast swinging and pointing shotgun.

The 1400, as I recall, had the same bolt. Used a 1400 Trap Gun for a couple of years...it, like the 1300, ALWAYS worked!

·
Registered
117 Posts
Thread resurrection!!!!

I have 3 1300's currently. a 1300 Defender that has been protecting home and hearth since the early 90's. A wood stocked 28" barrelled hunting version. And a recently acquired Black Shadow that has been rode hard and put away wet. But it still performs just like it should.

The Defender is one of the sythetic stocked versions, has had a couple of facelifts years back...but I finally figured out that original stocks are what works best for me. Many rounds downrange, a couple of ill thought out bird hunting trips, and it still keeps going and going.

The wood stocked version was picked up for $250 I think, and I have put a couple of wear marks into the receiver just moving the slide back and forth...this tells me that the previous owner hadn't shot it much, if at all.

I was gifted an 870 and have given it a serious tryout, but it still isn't a 1300 by my estimation. I like it, but there is definitely a speed difference between the two when working the action fast....870 is in second place.

41 - 59 of 59 Posts