Ruger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

My first time posting on this forum

I get light strikes and FTFs with Winchester ammo. This happens occasionally with T22s and Win bulk Hps 1280 fps. Sometimes you can see the light firing pin indentation at other times its barely visible. It never happens with any other brand.

I have a Kidd barrel, bolt, Kidd drop in trigger-hammer kit; When I started getting light hits, I put in a new OEM hammer spring, which was barely longer than the old one. So I don’t think it was a weak spring. I also deburred the hammer strut to reduce friction on the spring. And yes the strut was installed correctly with the notch pointing up. The problem with light hits on Wins persisted even after these mods.

My firing pin is also Kidd, but it was warped from the factory. When I complained they told me to see how it shoots. I also examine fired cases and the indentations look uniform and consistent.

Any thoughts? My guess is hard rims, since it doesn’t happen on other ammo.

STANMOORE

·
Registered
805 Posts
With all the mods you have made I think you will have trouble pinning down the cause. It might be the ammo but then again maybe not.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
I don't know if it has to do with the rims being harder than others, but I have had FTF problems with the Winchester bulk ammo (555, 333) and occasionally T22 in both my 22/45 and SR22. Many times when they do fire in the SR22 they don't cycle it fully - it ejects but won't pick up another round. They seem to fire ok in my single six.

This seems to be worse in last year or so, making me wonder if there has been some change in their manufacturing process causing them to be weak and difficult to ignite.

Since other ammo is working for you, I'd suggest just staying away from the Winchester brands.

And welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Winchester .22 ammo ain't what it used to be. I bought some Super X recently, as bad as the old Federal Lightening. Won't buy it again unless it's the only thing I can get. Federal Champion is better ammo at half the cost of Super X.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I have a ruger lcr 22 mag and the only ammo I have trouble with is winchester. Every other round is a ftf. It will shoot anything else fine. I also have a bolt gun 22lr that has problems with winchester. Shame I have a few thousand rounds of it.

·
Registered
4,746 Posts
I have about 150 rounds of winchester SuperX, M22, etc. left out of 1600 or so.

Tons of issues with fail to load, primer issues, etc. Will not buy any more. Pure junk.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I don't have trouble with any specific brand of ammo in my 10/22. Or any 22 I have except for a model 60 Marlin. It doesn't like Remington Thunderbolts.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts