Ruger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just bought 50 rnds for 19.99 today... Good self-defense ammo??? Good price? Anywhere cheaper? Thanks!

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
I buy that Blazer Brass for $13.95 a box at my local gun store or roll my own. For under $14 a box I can't go wrong. Tha Aluminums are $12 a box, but I can reload them so I skip it.

·
Registered
43 Posts
i just picked up 2 boxes of blazer brass for 14.88 a box at walmart . 230 gr fmj was cheaper to get those two boxes than the 100 round winchester white box of 230gr fmj . For my local gunshops i found out they are about 2 to 4 dollars more for the same ammo .As far as self defense ; as i have found out in another topic some will say yes others will say no . I have come to the conclusion that with a 45 caliber it won't matter a big hole is a big hole as long as u hit what u aim at and it works in your firearm .

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Went to Wal-Mart last night and the same box of ammo was $30! Go Big 5 Sporting Goods!

·
Registered
170 Posts
just bought 50 rnds for 19.99 today... Good self-defense ammo??? Good price? Anywhere cheaper? Thanks!
I have bought a fair amount of ammo from Outdoor Marksman in Salem OR. http://www.outdoormarksman.com/index.php?cPath=65 The ship quickly and the also attend gun shows around the country including some in CA.

For target and range use, I have purchased a lot of the Miwall brand FMJ ammo in bulk containers. The cases are good enough to reload which saves even more.

One thing to watch for with on-line ammo orders is the shipping charges. Some places have great prices, but shipping charges will bring the total cost up to where it's either cheaper or easier to buy locally. Ordering ammo from a place all the way across the country can tack on some huge freight charges. And most places require an adult signature when the ammo is delivered so you have to plan on having somebody around that can sign for it.

As far as self-defense ammo for .45ACP, there are lots of opinions about what is "best" There is a lot of different brands, bullet weights and types to satisfy a person's preferences.

Although I typically don't carry my Springfield 1911 I do keep it ready at home with Remington Golden Saber 230gr JHP's. My usual carry pistol is a Taurus Millenium Pro PT-145 in .45ACP and that is stuffed with the same ammo.

I have shot some Golden Saber 185gr +P JHP's in my 1911 and it's a handful but that particular round has over 1100fps from a 1911 5" barrel. That would also work as a self-defense round.

No matter what you like, you should try a fairly large amount of your intended carry/defensive ammo to insure that there will be no suprises. I have run over 400 rounds of the GS through both my 1911 and my PT145 with no failures of any kind.

I tried some Federal Hydra-Shoks in 230gr JHP's and got a number of FTF's and one jam. I don't use them at all now.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts