Ruger Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Former Hoadpiler
32,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was visiting a friend and got to shoot his 61. It was such a sweet pump and shot flawlessly. Now I'm looking for one.

·
Registered
7,866 Posts
My great grandfather has two, one in .22 LR and one in the all elusive .22 WMR! They're in incredible condition as well, but he ain't selling! ;)

I like them a lot, I'm gonna' have to buy one someday, if money is worth anything by the time I get out of school and get a job..... That's looking doubtful at this juncture in time.....

·
Registered
189 Posts
I started by shooting my dad's Win 62A! MANY rounds through it, one of the BEST guns made! My brother has it now, still shoots it! I baught a Taurus 72 (22 Mag) which is a COPY of the Win 62. Shoots, even SOUNDS the same! My brother has IT too!

·
Former Hoadpiler
32,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I see a few in pawn shops and lgs but most appear to be quite beatup. My friends 61 is in about 95% and he put a vintage Weaver scope on it.

·
Registered
5,722 Posts
My first gun was a 1948 model 62A (the hammer model..the 61 was hammerless) and I'd been looking for a really nice one for a very long time...about 2 years ago I found on .... not "restored" or mollested and in 98% condition...won't say what I paid but it was more than the $60 or so in 1948....way more....I don't shoot it..I just get it out now and then, clean it, wipe it down and pretend I'm a kid again...wonderful memories...Most of the 61's and 62's have been "restored" by well intentioned owners along the way but the really nice original ones are hard to find.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I've got one in 22mag. It started life as a garden variety 61, but got a little knocked around. A guy I knew picked it up back in the 70's for a song. He was big into bullfrog hunting and so modified it to meet his needs.

He had the barrel and mag shortened to a little over 16" and had it Armalloyed, and mounted a 4X Bushnell. He called it the Bullfrog Gun.

Well, he passed away and his gun wound up in the LGS. I couldn't afford it and someone else picked it up. About 10 years later it showed back up at the LGS. It had gotten a chip in the stock at the wrist, but otherwise looked pretty good. I still couldn't afford it and it disappeared after a coupla days.

A week later the wife and I celebrated our 25th anniversary. Guess what she got me. Yup, the Bullfrog Gun! She had gone into the LGS (it's been my hangout since '76) and asked if I had been looking at anything in particular and was shown the Bullfrog Gun and told the story of it.

That was 10 years ago and that old gun will still shoot 1-1.5 MOA off the bench with ammo it likes (and I do my part).

·
Former Hoadpiler
32,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I found and bought a 61 yesterday. It is one the the better ones I've seen and was made in 1951. I'll post a picture in the next few days.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts