1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This one is tougher.
Winchester 1894 Trapper. 30-30. Blue steel n walnut. Saddle ring. 16"
Stamped 1894-1994 centennial gun.
100% unfired ANIB. Papers original box etc.

Has aged long enough. Blue book vs Retail vs shelf price for a 28+ year old as-new trapper? Saw a similar gun w/o box for $1500 last local show and it sold...?

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
I may be way off base here but to me it would depend on if it is one of the better grades of limited-edition guns. Engraving, crescent butt plate half octagon barrel , fancy wood and the like.
If it is the plain - Jane trapper that just has 1897-1994 stamped into the side of the receiver I think maybe all 1994 win 94s had that as an anniversary rollmark.
If the former check with professionals , there are variations.
If it is the latter it should price the same as any Winchester 94 trapper in like condition . Which is nothing to sneeze at these days.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No engraving or I would have mentioned it...

Win did not embellish the trappers in 1994, just the saddle ring option and black walnut 'vs hardwood. Not catalogued anyway.
I bought several of the centennial guns in '94.. Most are now wayyy over $2k. I'm just starting to sell these things!

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
I am pretty sure that all the 1994 production 1894s got the same markings but never having been able to shop in the upscale range would not have been looking for special offerings.
Both of mine, Trapper in 45 Colt and even more basic Ranger in 30-30 have the same 1894-1994 rollmark on the right side of the receiver. No safe queens here, the Trapper became the gun of availability when I wanted to try shooting Pistol Cartridge Metallic Silhouette, with the short sight radius of the Trapper I added the Lyman Tang Sight which is great to look through but makes the grip a bit awkward for shooting and carrying. The 30-30 got a receiver sight and a Lyman 17A front sight for playing at the range, lobbing cast bullets at steel.

Everyday carry Composite material Hunting knife Metal Gun accessory

Neither has been out to play for a while, this reminds me that I need to change that.

Bruce

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
My answer to those questions is always the same ...

'You will have to buy it from my widow'

It has been a great gun to introduce new and/or smaller shooters to centerfire rifles. Short enough for them to balance and being 45 Colt it can be loaded way down so as to not intimidate or warmer to actually have some punch. Never tried any really heavy loads as I am old enough not to like beating myself or anyone else up.

Bruce

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
From my records the Trapper cost $281 when I bought it new in 1994. I think that the Lyman No.2 Tang Sight added most of another hundred. It appears that everything is 'rare' now and priced accordingly but they were not unusual to find then and it was less than 30 years ago. Ones like mine that have seen a fair amount of use should not command statospheric pricing but your's, anib, unfired, would be a 'where am I going to find another like that?' thing to a collector.
Fortunately for me, I am an accumulator rather than a collector. I buy things that I want and expect to keep, trading and bargaining have never been part of gun ownership to me so I have no realistic pricing answer.

Bruce

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Bruce!

The gun cost me $695. In today's dollars, inflation adjusted. Lower than that and it's lost value since new, sooo...

Now I have to go and calculate today's USD cost and adjust the values for several 94, 64, and 71 ANIB guns. And decide which two I'll hump around the AZ mountains.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Now I have to go and calculate today's USD cost and adjust the values for several 94, 64, and 71 ANIB guns. And decide which two I'll hump around the AZ mountains.
That all just sounds WAY too complicated.
Just grab the one you shoot the best , in the caliber you like the most, and go shootin.
Or just sell them all and get a clunker.
Life should be simple.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It's worth about $650
Understanding the US dollar (public school math) the gun cost $695 in today's bucks. Any less and the gun has lost value. The Reality of dollars losing buying power.

If I find another copy unfired ANIB and complete for less, I'll post it here
.. 🤣🤣😉

·
Registered
198 Posts
Understanding the US dollar (public school math) the gun cost $695 in today's bucks. Any less and the gun has lost value. The Reality of dollars losing buying power.

If I find another copy unfired ANIB and complete for less, I'll post it here
.. 🤣🤣😉
These pop up all the time on Collectors website for about $695 and those are the ones from the 80's without a big ugly hole in the side of the receiver and normal eject vs the less desired angle eject. I think you would find it difficult to sell for $650 honestly.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts