Ruger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a LC9 and use Defend ammo for PP and have had an issue with the first round in the mag not loading when the mag is fully loaded with 7 rounds. When I only put 5 rounds in, it works fine. It seems to be a problem with that 1 mag, I switched mags and now is fine. I have 4 mags, all Ruger, and never had this problem with FMJ practice ammo. Has anyone else experienced this?

·
Super Moderator
21,196 Posts
I would strip the bad mag down and give it a good cleaning. If that didn't work I would call Ruger and see if they will replace it or at least the spring.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
After cleaning bad mag would recommend working the magazine follower moves freely and no roughness or burrs.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
^^^ What those guys said^^^. When I have my mags apart I also spray a dry lube like Rem-Dri inside the mag body.
It dries quickly and isn't going to attract dust and lint like regular lube.

I like the Defend ammo, it uses the same Nickel case, low flash powder and bonded JHP that the much more expensive PDX-1 line uses. I carry the 230 gr. Defend in my .45 Shield.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies, just to let you know how new I am to firearms, I didn't know the mags could be taken apart and cleaned. I knew I had a lot to learn and this forum would be a help. Thanks again.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Did you compare the non-working mag to the work mag? I've had the same problem with several magazines. The magazines were Ruger factory mags bought separately. The offending magazines' lips were mis-aligned. Alingning the lips properly corrected the issue.

I have also had this problem with an over-lubed (too much oil) on a Ruger Mark IV. Not all firearms like an abundance of oil.

HTH

·
Registered
4,317 Posts
In addition to the recommendations above about checking the feed lips and stripping/cleaning the mag, when you have it apart, make sure the witness holes were punched clean. I've seen burrs on the witness holes that can bind the follower. Meguiar's auto polish is great on the inside of magazines.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts