Ruger Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys! Just bought Winchester Model 100, and I was just wondering if any of you had some time with this rifle. I know it's not a Ruger, but I just love the looks of these guns.

Details: It Model 100 that chambers a .308win and it's a pre-1964 rifle(1961 is the product date). The firing pin has not been replaced, but I was going to give them a call later today. I got two 4 round magazines with it, and the both feed fine in to the rifle.

I plan on using this rifle as a deer rifle, and want to mount a scope on it. If you guys have any info on the rifle that would be great! Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
6,251 Posts
That's a nice rifle you've got there! I've only seen one in the NRA museum. Congratulations!

Jim

·
Super Moderator
21,725 Posts
I need to do my research, because I really don't know to much about scopes or how strong I would need.
IMHO the more you spend on glass the better off you are. I would expect up in the Wisconsin woods that ranges would be short to moderate. A 2-7 is a great choice or the old standby 3-9. I wouldn't bother with the 3-12 or greater as they are more costly for little benefit. There are a lot of fans here of Nikons and I have no experience or input on them. I have used Leupold's and Zeiss and like them both and have heard good things about Vortex. I try to avoid any made in China stuff particularly the glass portion.

The Model 100 is a classic, congrats they are hard to find. Good luck deer season.

·
Registered
10,156 Posts
The Winchester Model 100 is a nice rifle, why worry about replacing a firing pin if it still works. If it ain't broke then why fix it!!! I would recommend where it's a Semi Auto Rifle to just shoot factory loads. I shoot a Remington Model 7600 pump action .270 & have had great results with my reloads. But I have taken my time to work up some reloads for my sons Remington Model 7400 Semi Auto .270 & his rifle jams up after 2 shots fired?? What gets me is the first couple of years I provided his rifle with my reloads he killed 2 deer & never complained?? But maybe he needs to really clean his rifle up!!!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'll have to take a look at a 2-7, but the guy at Cabela's did show me a 3-9. I think I'll start looking at Leupold scope and work from there. For right now, the most I'll spend would be about hundred bucks, and then down the road upgrade when I have the money too!

The firing pin problem was a recall issued my Winchester, because they would break off and cause an accident discharge when you push the bolt forward. I gave Winchester a call and they told me the firing pin was already replaced, so that was good news!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I haven't got out to the range to shoot it yet , but I'm hoping to shoot it this weekend. Do you guys have any recommendations for a good scope rings and mounts?

·
Registered
233 Posts
Nice find ...I do urge you to follow up on your first instinct and have the gun checked as to whether the authorized Winchester Factory Recall has been performed on your "beauty"

The failure that has prompted the recall can be catastrophic to both you and your new find in that the firing pin can, if broken, force the firing of the weapon BEFORE the locking lugs are engaged ..that's 62000 PSI in your face

PLEASE see this link [may have to paste]

Winchester Model 100 .308 safety question? - THR

Bear

·
Registered
17,167 Posts
For right now, the most I'll spend would be about hundred bucks, and then down the road upgrade when I have the money too!
Nikons have good glass, and are bright. They usually have some pretty good sales toward the end of the year.
You could probably spend a little over a hundred bucks, and not need to upgrade later.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Bear: I did call Winchester yesterday and the firing pin has been replaced with the improved firing pin. They told me the shop and year it was replaced. That was my biggest worry about the gun!

GunJunkie: I'll have to take a look at some sales through the year, and try to find a good deal on a Nikon scope. I've heard good things about them, and if I can get a scope that will work for me for years, I'll take it!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts