Ruger Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. These were only made for a couple of years, and were intended as a premium .22 hunting rifle to go with Winchester's Model 100 centerfires. The 490 never really caught on, and had some issues including a recall. It took some work, but I have it functioning as it should. At nearly 42" long, and over 7lbs, this thing is a tank!

·
Registered
191 Posts
Very nice! I bought one years ago to go with my M100 & M100 Carbine in .308. Very nice .22 for a full sized person, having the feel of a full sized rifle. The 490 and M100 have since moved on, but the M100 Carbine remains with it's cousin, the M88.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Very nice! I bought one years ago to go with my M100 & M100 Carbine in .308. Very nice .22 for a full sized person, having the feel of a full sized rifle. The 490 and M100 have since moved on, but the M100 Carbine remains with it's cousin, the M88.
I've always thought the Model 88s (and Ruger's Model 96s) were pretty cool.

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Roddy, that is one sweet looking .22LR, I do appreciate the nice looking wood and the deep bluing of years gone by unfortunately. It's too bad that none of the major manufacturers no longer produce guns like that anymore, that are so aesthetical beautiful, you hesitate to even shoot it.

·
One Star
9,686 Posts
Beautiful wood,sweet looking .22 rifle.

·
Registered
186 Posts
That is a very good looking rifle! I have wanted one for a long time, but never seem to get around to purchasing one.

·
Registered
471 Posts
I think that I have the "Ted Williams" version of that rifle as sold by Sears. Unfortunately, to make it at a little more 'attractive price' they put a plastic sleeve around the barrel and mounted the rear sight on it. Needless to say, plastic is NOT forever and the sleeve cracked leaving the sight floating around on the barrel, useless. No doubt there are ways to fix it (replacements of the plastic do not seem to exist) but it was my best friend's gun (he bought it new, 50 years ago) and I am not sure that I want to change it.

Bruce

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I think that I have the "Ted Williams" version of that rifle as sold by Sears. Unfortunately, to make it at a little more 'attractive price' they put a plastic sleeve around the barrel and mounted the rear sight on it. Needless to say, plastic is NOT forever and the sleeve cracked leaving the sight floating around on the barrel, useless. No doubt there are ways to fix it (replacements of the plastic do not seem to exist) but it was my best friend's gun (he bought it new, 50 years ago) and I am not sure that I want to change it.

Bruce
I had heard that once before, and went on a search. From what I recall, yours should be a model 6C (American). The Model 490 wasn't available as a Sears model here in Canada. Up here, 6C (Canadian) got you a Cooey/Winchester (now Savage) model 64/64B. What you have there is probably a pretty rare piece...
The more common Winchester/Sears semi-auto .22 was the tube fed 3T (IIRC).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts