Ruger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is this ammo, with a muzzle velocity of 1300 fps as compared with CCI MiniMag's 1235 fps, considered to be Hyper-Velocity .22 ammo? What velocity is the start of the Hyper-Velocity rating for .22 ammo?

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
I cant give you exact numbers to be honest. Ive used the stuff before with pretty good result and I always just considered it HIGH velocity.

·
Registered
5,187 Posts
Not sure if there are any "official" velocities for .22 ammo, or if the manufacturers just use whatever terms they think will sell their product. I do know that I bought some Super X awhile back and found it to perform very similarly to CCI Mini-Mags in my 10/22. My Marlin 60 did not like it at all, though.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Perfect timing...I logged in to see what I could dig up on the same stuff... :D

As it turns out I am finding it to be at least 10x more time and money to find the "right" ammo for my barrel as I thought it would...lol...

Just got some Super X in three velocities... 1300, 1435, 1630...

And some velocitors...velocity around 1400ish...

No stingers for me with a bull barrel as the cases are too long...

Already had mini-mags in 40gr solids and 36 hp both plated... velocity is 1235 for both...

Have a brick of Peters bulk 1280 solid rn lead...these are the best bulk I have tried but nowhere near as consistent as the mini-mags...

The difference between the recoil of the Peters and the Mini-mags is very noticeable...and the inconsistency of the Peters in both recoil and poi is very noticeable...the hotter Peters cause muzzle to flip to side a lot more while the mini mags are more push straight back...

Aside from getting the ammo the barrel "likes"...consistency is the next thing you need for tight groups...I have been getting that from CCI but not from bulk...

The theory about the high and hyper velocity ammo wobbling or whatever when the velocity drops at longer range is nice theory and probably true...

However, I am finding that the CCI SV and a couple of other sub-sonic rounds are nowhere near as tight at 100 yards as the mini mags are from my gun and not even as good as bulk high velocity so far...

My problem is I want to shoot SB silhouette and not sure what the highest velocity they will allow is but mini-mags are pushing it...I think it might be 1300 fps...not sure...

What is interesting to me is that the super-x 1600 fps ammo has a normal length case as do all the rest of the 1300 plus ammo I got including the velocitor...except for the stinger...

I clicked on the link above but it requires a login to access...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the inputs!
My 1964 NRA Firearms & Ammunition Fact Book lists .22 LR High Velocity solid point at 1335 fps and the hollow point at 1365 fps in their Cartridge Ballistics table . These are, I assume, the maximum numbers for these loads and ammo such as CCI Mini Mags at 1235 fps should still qualify as High Velocity. This is consistent with this Wikipedia info -- .22 Long Rifle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.
My big interest in raising the question is that the Super-X ammo seems to be very good ammo and I just wanted to be sure that it would work OK in my Ruger Standard automatic without doing any harm. Looks like it’s safe to shoot it.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Thanks for the inputs!
My 1964 NRA Firearms & Ammunition Fact Book lists .22 LR High Velocity solid point at 1335 fps and the hollow point at 1365 fps in their Cartridge Ballistics table . These are, I assume, the maximum numbers for these loads and ammo such as CCI Mini Mags at 1235 fps should still qualify as High Velocity. This is consistent with this Wikipedia info -- .22 Long Rifle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.
My big interest in raising the question is that the Super-X ammo seems to be very good ammo and I just wanted to be sure that it would work OK in my Ruger Standard automatic without doing any harm. Looks like it’s safe to shoot it.
That is an interesting article and your 1964 NRA fact book is something I need to present at the SB Silhouette match to prove that mini-mags and the super-X 1300 are NRA legal...the guy who runs the matches says mini-mags are hyper and not allowed...I know he is confused about that but...all the rules say is no stingers or "hot loads"...

The reasoning is to limit damage to the targets which is perfectly fine...however my gun shoots much better groups at long range with high velocity ammo than sub-sonic...simple as that...therefore I want to know where the cut-off is...and according to your NRA book and wikipedia (which I am sure NRA does not recognize and certainly local range officials won't either) the 1200-1300 are acceptable...

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Got to test some ammo yesterday...

First time I have tried these:

Super X 1300 "super speed" 40 gr plated rn
Super X 1435 "hyper speed" 40 gr plated rn
Super X 1650 "hyper speed" 26 gr tin hp

Mini-Mag "Velocitor" hyper-velocity 1435 plated hp

Also tested these to compare but have used these a lot before:

Mini-Mag 1260 high velocity 36 gr plated hp
Mini-Mag 1235 high velocity 40 gr plated rn
Peters (bulk...a Remington brand comparable to the Federal bulk) 1255 high velocity 40 gr solid lead rn

All my testing was at 100 yards...I was merely trying to find out which ones were consistently tighter and/or more reliable at that distance than others and was not doing super accurate testing so I don't have precise comparisons...

My general observations was that while the Super-x 1300 seemed okay for quality it was no better than the Peters for reliability or accuracy and maybe a little worse...a close call...only cost at least twice as much...I won't be buying anymore...

The Super-x 1600 again seemed okay for quality but reliability not so great...quite expensive...no more accurate than the 1300...what really surprised me was the lack of recoil...feels like CCI standard velocity...only lower quality, less reliable...accuracy roughly the same...I would use CCI standard velocity or Peters/Federal bulk or CCI Mini-mags or CCI Velocitors over this stuff any day...Velocitors are at least as accurate for me...price is similar...consistency and reliability way better...I will not waste money on these again...

The Super-X 1435 hyper speed won the day for accuracy...5 shot groups under 1" ...quality was horrible...several rounds were bent coming out of the box...had a few fail to feed...had a couple stick in the 10 round factory mag...had a few fail to go bang...had one what didn't go bang and wouldn't extract...price not bad for box of 100 compares to Mini-Mags...

All along until the super-x 1435 my best groups were 1.5-1.75" with the 40 gr rn...with the 36 gr hp a close second also in the 1.75-2.25" range...

Peters get out into the 3" plus range...as do the Velocitors...

The Super X 1300, 1650, in the 3.5-4" range...

CCI SV in the same 3-4" range...

Federal gold match SV in the 4-5" range...

What sucks for me is that the most accurate ammo I have tried is not legal for SB silhouette competition...and even if it was the penalty for misfires and jambs would probably not be worth it...I will probably buy another box of 100 of these just for comparisons and evaluation but don't plan on actually using them for anything of any importance...

Mini-Mag 40 gr round nose are STILL the most reliable and by far my favorite 22 ammo I have ever used and with only one exception the most accurate also...

Will definitely continue to have at least one box on hand for ever... :D

For the price the Peters have been pretty darned good...I give them a slight preference over the comparable Federals...a few fail to fires is to be expected with cheap ammo...accuracy at 50 yards is plenty good...reasonable at 100 yards IMO...will continue to buy a brick of these when low...

I know all guns/barrels "like" different stuff...just reporting what I got with my TacSol barrel on my 10/22 at 100 yards yesterday... :)

Sure would like to find something as accurate in my barrel at 100 yards as the Super-x 1435 only with good reliability and below hyper speed so I can use it in competition...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts