Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seems to be slowing down on the new Ruger 9mm Iam not hearing any L/E interest, or people giving new reports . One small Dept looked when Glock was slow to get back to them then would not give much for their old Glocks.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yea low bid is the key, they would make up the difference in other ways . I dont think they get it.

·
Banned
3,167 Posts
Maybe I missed it - but was the American Pistol designed to be a Contract LE/Mil weapon? Sure didn't seem like that was the case based on the marketing, design, and launch. Without question, there's overlap, what sells to civilians as a defensive pistol can apply as a LE/Mil weapon also, but I don't believe that was the goal. Ruger does civilian market, I'm not sure the last time they ran a legitimate bid on any substantial contract.

I'm sure they'll do just fine with it in the market it was designed for - entry level, consumer pistol market. Their stock price has bobbled in the last year, but they've been a general upward trend for 10yrs or more (minus the bubble burst). They've been doing well by focusing on civilian market, and they're keeping their production lines full. Ruger stands tall as a production innovation leader for firearms, and innovation doesn't come for free. Making high margins on civilian/consumer units helps pay back new equipment and R&D faster than low bid contracts - low bid contracts are how you run revenue out of a bought-and-paid-for machine, but they don't often support new production technologies anymore. Innovation is all in the private sector, it's not happening by government contract anymore.

For what it is, and what Ruger designed it to be, Ruger will ride it and do just fine.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Honestly, I think they just used the fact that it "could" meet the requirements for a LE/Military handgun as another tool for advertising/marketing. But I am simply speculating here.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I have owned my RAP for about two months and have fired about 250 to 300 rounds through it. This is my first venture with a striker fired handgun. I choose the 9 mm version for two reasons. One I can shoot a 9 9mm more accurately than a 45. The second reason is that was the only one my LGS had in stock. I found the pistol to be very ergonomic. It fit my hand and it points on target after firing a round. At 30 oz some think it's too heavy, I don't.
There are two things I would change. The first is I would have adjustable sights (even adj. night sights). The second is I would reduce the price of magazines. $39.95 plus shipping is over priced. The three different size back straps makes the gun fit the individual in most cases. I found tat POA is 7 yards. With a little trial and error I was able to figure out what my sight picture is for 15 yards. I regularly place 17 rounds in the 9 and 10 ring.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This is great feed back that one reply seems right low bid contract is not the place to get your r/d money back.

·
Registered
5,246 Posts
I believe Ruger said they "consulted" military and LE when designing the American pistol line. Obviously, they would love to get a large government contract, and if they did they would probably need to expand production capacity to meet it.

On the other hand, once the American gets a little more traction, if it does, they may discontinue the SR line.

I am sure their marketing/strategy people are monitoring sales very closely and comparing the actuals to their preliminary estimates.

·
Registered
5,246 Posts
I disagree. Ruger does very well in reaching the consumer market which is way bigger than the Law Enforcement/military market.
According to their 2014 10-K (2015 has not been published yet) the shipped 1.7 million firearms to distributors that year. Down from over 2 million in 2013.

Obviously at this point, that is essentially all to the civilian consumer market. True that the LE/military would be less than that, but if Ruger could increase those sales by 15-25% by getting some big LE/military contracts, I would bet they would be very happy.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I can't figure out what Ruger was thinking with the "American Pistol". at 7.5" long and 30oz. empty it's not a carry gun for many. everybody has a P-series or a 1911 clone for a house gun, some kind of revolver for a truck gun. is the American pistol supposed to be competition for Glock or Sig(320) or Walther PPQ? good luck with that. time will tell, I guess.

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
I can't figure out what Ruger was thinking with the "American Pistol". at 7.5" long and 30oz. empty it's not a carry gun for many. everybody has a P-series or a 1911 clone for a house gun, some kind of revolver for a truck gun. is the American pistol supposed to be competition for Glock or Sig(320) or Walther PPQ? good luck with that. time will tell, I guess.
The first models are full sized. Supposedly Ruger has already said the modular FCB will be used is smaller versions.

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
According to their 2014 10-K (2015 has not been published yet) the shipped 1.7 million firearms to distributors that year. Down from over 2 million in 2013.

Obviously at this point, that is essentially all to the civilian consumer market. True that the LE/military would be less than that, but if Ruger could increase those sales by 15-25% by getting some big LE/military contracts, I would bet they would be very happy.
Maybe maybe not. Glock "sells" the replacement firearms to LE for well under $100. They take the trades in, refurbish and sell to the general public. That appears to be where they make the money on govt. sales.

·
Banned
3,167 Posts
Ruger is public, as long as they can demonstrate increased revenue per spending and meet or exceed guidance annually, they'll be doing just fine. 1.7m firearms vs. 2m sounds like a 15% loss, but if their volume on launch guidance was 1.5m units, in the 1.7 year and 2.2m guidance in the 2m year, the perception could be entirely backwards of actual financial performance. Public companies aren't worth what they are really worth, they are only worth what someone believes they are worth, much moreso than privately held companies. I could see unit volume guidance being high on the year the AR556 was released whereas last year was more of a boutique product year. The 2016 guidance should be high volume on the American Pistol, and I'm sure the Poly Case ammo deal has a high volume benefit projection to go with it, as will their silencer business - but those are emerging markets for them, so their sales expectation will be relatively low on these areas compared to where it will be in 5yrs time.

Lots of firearms companies make lots of money without government contracts at all, and not many companies make a majority portion of their revenue by contract either. Lots of firearms companies do, however, make lots of money by designing paramilitary style models and definitely benefit from marketing with military and LE branding.

·
Registered
4,685 Posts
"With the new Ruger Americans not much hubla"

Can someone explain to me what "hubla" is?
Isn't it the sister of the Hubble Space Telescope? :D

·
Registered
1,387 Posts

The RAP 45 is pretty much the exact same size and weight as the P320 and weighs all of 2.2 ounces more than the Glock 21. But my theory is that it seems bigger and bulkier somehow. I'm still planning to get one.

But I would agree with the OP in that there isn't much buzz out there for whatever reason. On the other hand, a lot of people wondered what Ruger was up to when they announced the AR556 but that seemed to work out. The RAP seems to be settling in as a $450 or so gun, and that gives Ruger a price advantage over its main competitors while delivering some features the SR pistols did not.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts