Ruger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Has anyone tried the Wolf Springs in their SP101-22? I just installed the 8# trigger return spring, and the #10 mainspring in mine. I know they arent designed for the rimfire SP101 and ignition may be a problem, but it sure feels nice in Double Action. I wont get a chance to shoot it for a week, and wondered if anyone has any real first hand experience with these in the .22? I can bump up to the 12# spring if need be & I also have the 14# mainsprings from my centerfire SP101s. Im pretty sure they are lighter than the SP101-22s original mainspring. I kinda wanna slip out back and pop a couple rounds off, but dont usally do that with respect for my neighbors.

·
Banned
1,641 Posts
Has anyone tried the Wolf Springs in their SP101-22? I just installed the 8# trigger return spring, and the #10 mainspring in mine. I know they arent designed for the rimfire SP101 and ignition may be a problem, but it sure feels nice in Double Action. I wont get a chance to shoot it for a week, and wondered if anyone has any real first hand experience with these in the .22? I can bump up to the 12# spring if need be... I kinda wanna slip out back and pop a couple rounds off, but dont usally do that with respect for my neighbors.
Does anywhere near you sell the little Aguila Colibri 22's? They're no louder than a high-powered pellet gun or paintball gun. :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
I used the 12# spring and found that I would get 1-2 FTF per cylinder. Single action always worked so the issue was double action. I polished the action and used some gunslick on it and was able to fire 100 Federal 711B rounds without incident.
Yesterday I tried 5 different brands of ammo. I found that some do better than others. If I got a failure it was due to a very slow double action pull. I tried Federal bulk, CCI Velocitor, RWS Target rifle, Rem. Subsonic, and Rem Bulk.
It is noteworthy to mention the Rem. bulk did not have a failure (I can't believe that either) and CCI velocitor was the worst.

I think I will move to a 14# spring unfortunatly I don't have one and have to find one.

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I tried the 10# and had 50% ignition. I installed the 14# from my centerfire SP101 and got 7 out of 8 to fire. I have not touched any surface internally yet, so I bet that would help alot. I think I may just go back to the rimfire mainspring and be done with it. I wont ever use the SP101-22 for SD where Double Action is essential and doubt I would ever shoot it Double Action for hunting. My main purpose for it is a plinker/hunter, and Single Action is fine. The ease of load/unload is a great benefit for plinking, and its supurbly accurate, so Im not dissapointed if I cant get a good, light DA trigger and reliable ignition. I compared the DA trigger to my S&W 617, and its very similar. It also feels the same as my S&W 317 and my LCR-22, all DA .22 revolvers. The S&W 22s have a shorter pull, but they are just as heavy in DA. They do have much better triggers in SA, but also cost several hundreds more. I guess its a toss up.

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the link. I missed that thread. Good info. Pretty much confirms my experiments with springs. I left the 8# trigger spring in and went back to my original rimfire hammer spring. Even with the 14# centerfire spring, I was getting FTFires. Im going to do some interior polishing soon, and maybe go back and try the lighter springs again. The rimfire spring has a different part number than the centerfire spring, so I have no doubt its a heavier spring. You can feel the difference when compairing the two.

·
Registered
629 Posts
I put the 10# Wolff spring in and have found FTF now more of the result of the ammo used than the spring rate. On some 550 round boxes of Federals I will get a few FTF out of each 100 rounds fired. I have had a few 550 round boxes of Federals with no FTF at all. CCI has proven to be 100 percent reliable. Remington golden bullets are not reliable in the SP101 or most of my other .22s for that matter.
Also when I first changed the springs in the SP101 .22 it was new and had many FTF, now that it been has fired many times it just get more reliable and smoother all the time. A good cleaning and lube after each use seems to make a difference also in reliability. Lube and breakin are importent!
The SP101 .22 has become my favorite handgun and everytime someone trys it at the range I see a big smile and get the comment "I have to get one of these".

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
When I had an SP in 22 LR, I put in a 12 pound spring and did a shim job on the hammer. I had no ignition problems, but, yes, I did notice that the depth of the indentation on the 22 brass had decreased a bit. I think the key to using the lighter hammer springs, successfully, is to do a shim/polish job.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts