Ruger Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not very good with the search function so here's another thread about changing springs.
I've got the shooter's pack for my SP 101 in .22 but I can't find info on whether changing the trigger return spring is crucial when changing the main spring. Can anyone enlighten me on the interaction between the two? Would just changing the main to the 13lb and leaving the rest alone be a bad idea?
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'm not very good with the search function so here's another thread about changing springs.
I've got the shooter's pack for my SP 101 in .22 but I can't find info on whether changing the trigger return spring is crucial when changing the main spring. Can anyone enlighten me on the interaction between the two? Would just changing the main to the 13lb and leaving the rest alone be a bad idea?
Thanks in advance.
Changing the trigger return spring is the most direct way to lower trigger pull. The consequence is slower trigger return or it might even get stuck midway if your trigger group isnt smooth you might have to push the trigger forward so it resets before u can fire again in extreme example. You want faster return for rapid fire or follow up shots.

The hammer main spring directly affects DA pull and indirectly SA pull by reducing the pressure required to cock the hammer back and pressure on the sear. The consequence is less hammer force striking primer or rim and u might not get a bang each time the trigger is pulled. Ignition reliablity is compromised to a degree.

The "optimal" setup is to change both springs and retain reliability and characteristics that suits your needs.

On my gp100, I use the lightest return spring since I shoot mainly SA only and I have polished and shimmed the internals of the gun and if it gets too dirty it might fail on me. I only use a 12# main (-2#) as I can still ignite small rifle magnum primers with it and I never had a ftf before. Again I am using hammer shims to help smoothness of the hammer dropping and preserve the force of the strike.

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
I changed both the return and main springs in my GP. I could not deal with the trigger reset as I do most shooting DA. I switched the return spring back to stock leaving the Wolff main spring. The gun now works more to my satisfaction with this setup.

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
Im sure you realize when shooting your SP101 in Double Action, you are compressing two springs with the trigger. The mainspring(hammer) and the trigger return spring(trigger). Changing both will result in the lightest feel at the trigger.

Of the 4 SP101s I have owned, only one had a slow reset of the trigger, after changing both springs. It wasn't enough to bother me, but you can feel the trigger return is a bit "sluggish", so I left the Wolff trigger return spring in. I also have the lightest hammer spring in all my SP101s(22 LR included) and have never had any light strikes.

Each gun is different, so the only way I know to answer the original question is... Try the different springs, and see what happens, and what feels best as far as trigger return.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts