Ruger Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I won the auction for a Ruger Blackhawk .41 mag w/ 6.5” barrel today on Gunbroker. Good used ones are scarce as hen’s teeth and new ones almost that bad if you want one at a reasonable price. Anyway, I’m not too sure of the 6.5” barrel, my preference is for 5.5” ones except in the SBH, but I talked to Bobby Tyler today about a little work on it and after I shoot it a little I’ll make the decision as to whether to shorten it or not. It will be going to hime for an action job regardless. That, and some extended grips from Texas Grips will, I think, make it my favorite Ruger SA (I hope).

I may soon have one of my SBH .44s for sale, haven’t figured out yet whether it will be the OM or the NM. Or......it may be my Model 57 S&W, since I haven’t shot it in 10 years or so.......

I’ll cross that bridge when I come to it !

·
Premium Member
13,897 Posts
Congrats! Nice win.

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
I got this old model in 41 mag about 5 years ago and it is an excellent companion to the Henry 41 mag. I had a 57 in Nickel and sold it as just never shot it. Got a Colt SAA and never looked back.
IMG_3801.JPG

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I got this old model in 41 mag about 5 years ago and it is an excellent companion to the Henry 41 mag. I had a 57 in Nickel and sold it as just never shot it. Got a Colt SAA and never looked back.
View attachment 142526

View attachment 142527
That Blackhawk looks just like the one I had except I think mine had the black checkered grips on it. As best I remember, after a few cylinders of factory loads my palm began to burn !:)

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have the 41 Mag blackhawks in both the 4-5/8" barrel and the 7.5" barrel. I wasn't sure I was going to like the long barrel either, but after shooting it I changed my mind. The balance is a little different between the two of them, but they are both good.

I wouldn't be in too much of a rush to get it cut. Try it for a while see what you think.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Congrats on the win Drycreek and Happy shooting.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Why would you shorten the barrel ? I don't understand.

Because, generally speaking, I like 5.5” barrels better. That’s what is on my .45 Colt, my .44 Special, and my SS convertible. I find them to be the best compromise for my use.

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,820 Posts
Congratulations on the Blackhawk. If you're sending it off for action work and other tweaks you may as well get the barrel length to your liking. It's an easy enough job on a Blackhawk for a good smith like Tyler.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
And.........here she is. Picked it up this morning from my local FFL. Any time I buy an item sight unseen, based on pictures, I kinda cringe a little. This gun seems to have been shot very little if at all. I’m pleased with it at the price I paid. Probably saved a couple hundred, plus the fact that they are hard to find in .41 Mag. The trigger leaves much to be desired, but Tyler Gun Works will set that right !

·
Registered
33 Posts
I won the auction for a Ruger Blackhawk .41 mag w/ 6.5” barrel today on Gunbroker. Good used ones are scarce as hen’s teeth and new ones almost that bad if you want one at a reasonable price. Anyway, I’m not too sure of the 6.5” barrel, my preference is for 5.5” ones except in the SBH, but I talked to Bobby Tyler today about a little work on it and after I shoot it a little I’ll make the decision as to whether to shorten it or not. It will be going to hime for an action job regardless. That, and some extended grips from Texas Grips will, I think, make it my favorite Ruger SA (I hope).

I may soon have one of my SBH .44s for sale, haven’t figured out yet whether it will be the OM or the NM. Or......it may be my Model 57 S&W, since I haven’t shot it in 10 years or so.......

I’ll cross that bridge when I come to it ! View attachment 142523
Congrats and here's wishing you great luck with it.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I am wondering what gets done when you send your pistol away for "action work"? Is it cleaning, filing, buffing, polishing and lubrication or just some of these or is there more that they do?

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Dapapa, from what I’ve learned from Iowegan’s posts, the engaging surfaces are polished to a slick finish, removing all tool marks, while being careful to maintain the proper angles on the engagement surfaces. I would imagine the process might vary slightly from ‘smith to ‘smith, but the above is my understanding. I’ve had three single actions “slicked up“ by Mr. Alan Harton and they are great, but I’m gonna spread the love a little and send this one to Bobby Tyler. :)

BTW, Iowegan goes into detail on action work in another thread on this same sub-forum titled Reduced Power Hammer Springs.

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
Nice Blackhawk ....41 Magnum is a winner !
The 6 1/2" 357 Blackhawk in my avatar was bought in 1971 , I wanted a 4 5/8" but this was all dealer had , offered to me for $75.00 , I figured to shorten the barrel later.
That was 49 years ago and the bbl. is still 6 1/2" , it has been the only 357 magnum I have owned so it has seen a lot of use.
Shoot it for a while ...you might like it . 6 1/2" has a "just right" balance for offhand shooting...it grows on you.
Great Score ...Enjoy !!!
Gary

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks guys, for the kind words. I’ve shot it a little, but hope to shoot some more this week if I can find the time.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Bringing this thread up to date ! The .41 Mag got a slight facelift and a little tweaking of its innards. I ordered a set of Mesquite Burl oversized grips from Henry at Texas Grips, a Raptor mount, a Leupold Delta Point reflex sight from Amazon, and a SBH hammer from Midway USA. I took it to Mr. Alan Harton a few weeks ago (along with a couple more revolvers) and had him do what he does best. I picked it up Friday and this morning I installed the grips and the sight, Alan had already installed the Raptor mount. Here she is, now I have to go mow the dang yard before I lose my dog in it......

1 - 19 of 19 Posts