Ruger Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've recently begun thinking of getting a .22 semi-auto pistol. The purpose of that would be to be able to shoot a lot of rounds at the range for not a lot of money. And that could be fun...

The *real* fun in shooting for me, however, is in shooting my P345. I just can't get enough of it, and the more I shoot it, the more I LOVE it! But as you well know, it doesn't take long to burn up a $50 bill when you're sending lots of .45 lead downrange.

I realize that there are lots of factors involved, how you would save money by buying reloading components in large quantities, or by waiting till you caught these components reduced in price when "on sale", and so forth. But has anyone out there tried to figure out just how cheaply you can load .45 ACP rounds? Since I love shooting the .45, I'm wondering whether the best plan is to abandon thoughts of buying a .22, and instead, pitch my tent in the handloading camp so as to keep shooting my .45? Your wisdom/suggestions/insight is appreciated!

Amistad
'exploring new horizons in Texas!'

·
Forum Founder
3,639 Posts
I think your goal should be do both. The .22 is very good to do a lot of practicing. I still think you would get a lot of enjoyment out of reloading. You could get the .22 and then at a later date get into reloading, or vise versa.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Nothing will ever be as inexpensive as the good ole' .22.
At roughly $10.00/500 is equates to about .02 cents per round which is cheaper than just the primers for reloading. the .22 is just plain fun and you can spread it around in rifles and handguns.

But as much fun as it is, it still just ain't the same as throwing a 45 or 38 down range.
You can roughly bottom line the costs of 45acp using cast lead at around $5.00/50rds (.10 cents per round)give or take depending on what components you use.
Here is an older thread where it is broken down on the 45 using what i use and getting the figure per 100rds at $10.00 ($5.00/50)

http://www.rugerforum.net/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2365

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Wow, never reloaded .45---got too many for $5/50 in little brown cardboard boxes---those days are gone........

·
Registered
540 Posts
I'm reloading .45 ACP's for around $14 per 100 rounds. That's about a $12 savings over the 100 round value paks at Wal-Mart last time I checked. Still couldn't imagine not having a few .22's to plink with. If you enjoy shooting as much as the rest of us, it's only a matter of time til you do both anyway.

·
Premium Member
2,944 Posts
If you want to buy all the equipment and cast your own bullets from wheelweights, you can load .45s pretty darn cheap...probably about 5 cents a round. I used to, but it's really time-consuming, and frankly a lot of work. It was fun when I was younger - now I just want to shoot more. I buy plated or jacketed bullets which of course cost a lot more. When I'm feeling really lazy, I just buy a 100 pack of WWB from Wally World. Get a good .22 auto - they're a blast to shoot too. Then save your pennies and pick up good reloading equipment as you can afford it. The real goal for reloading should be the ability to tailor loads for your particular gun. Being cheaper is just a side benefit.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks a bunch for the replies. I'll do some thinking as to the best course to pursue...

Amistad
'striving to do better!'

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
17,039 Posts
If you think you are going to save money by reloading .... think again. What happens is you have so much fun reloading, you just can't wait to empty the brass and load some more. Before you know it, you buy more dies, a progressive press, fancy digital scale, and all sorts of other goodies. Then you start experimenting with different bullets and powder. Once you "master" one cartridge, you'll buy a new gun in a different cartridge just so you can work up more loads. You will be building a reloading bench then replacing it with a larger one with storage shelves to maintain your inventory of components and accessories. The guest bedroom turns into an ammo factory .... no room for guests.

I've been at this reloading thing for well over 40 years and it never stops. Just when I think I'm happy with my system, new goodies will come on the market that I just have to buy. If I were to liquidate my reloading equipment and my supply of components, I could buy enough factory ammo to last a lifetime. But then .... what fun would that be? I really enjoy reloading ... it's a great hobby in itself but if you plan to save money .... forget it!

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
That wise old Iowegan knows exactaly what he's talking about. ;)
I enjoy setting down at the bench & spending a few hours loading some ammo. It is very relaxing, and I can build a load that is just right for whatever gun and/or game I'm going to play. Besides, I'm too lazy to jump in the truck & drive to Wally World or somewhere to buy the stuff! :D

·
Registered
842 Posts
quote:Originally posted by sheepdog

Wow, never reloaded .45---got too many for $5/50 in little brown cardboard boxes---those days are gone........
Well sheepdog, that proves what I thought. Knew danged well you was at least as old or older than me!!:D
(just kidding)
Baker

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
58 and still frisky, Truman...but it takes 4 cups in the morning to get me that way...so I start about 4 or 4:30....it's fun getting older as long as my health's this good...'bout ready for a new set of teeth, though.....:D

·
Registered
292 Posts
I use an old Mark I. However I think the Ruger 22/45 is meant for 45ACP shooters to use for cheap practice with the feel of a 1911. I don't know off hand what 22 LR goes for with out looking it up but 2 yrs ago I bought 7 brick for right at $100. It takes a long time to shoot 3,500 rounds thru a Mark I.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, I went ahead and purchased a Browning Buck Mark .22 pistol. It should arrive at my FFL's place today and hopefully I can break it in at the range tomorrow. I look forward to being able to enjoy more of my fantasy with the smell of burnt powder. :D

Also, last weekend my son gave me about 100 lbs. of lead (wheel weights) that he had obtained somewhere. I have no idea how many .45 loads that much would make, but if I do get into reloading, no doubt I can put it to good use...

Amistad

·
Premium Member
2,944 Posts
We'll need a range report and pictures Amistad!:D

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
Amistad- next thing to do is get your pot and heat source and an ingot mold. Then you can get those wheel weights smelted down and the trash fluxed out so they are ready for the casting. I really like the reloading and use to go from raw lead to finished cartridge. Now I just buy the bullets 'cause I don't have the time to cast my own.
The Browning is a good 22 pistol but I'm surprised you didn't go with the Ruger 22/45.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
quote:Originally posted by jimbo1096

The Browning is a good 22 pistol but I'm surprised you didn't go with the Ruger 22/45.
Jimbo, I wanted to get a gun that would serve as a stepping stone towards my wife spending some time with me in shooting. I'll be the primary custodian of the piece, but I hope to get her to where she actually wants to go with me to the range to shoot "her .22", if you know what I mean. Consequently, the two of us looked at lots of pistols, including those offered by Ruger. Neither of us favored the "look and feel" of the 22/45 over the same considerations of the Buck Mark.

One thing that we both disliked about the Ruger is having those two "buttons" for the safety and the slide release. On the two that we looked at, those controls were very stiff and hard to operate. Not so with the Buck Mark... Anyway, people buy different guns for different reasons, and that's a small part of the reasoning that I used...

There are several models of the Buck Mark that I would enjoy having. She chose a model that she remarked "will be different than the others that you'll see at the range." Thus, we purchased this one http://www.browning.com/products/catalog/firearms/detail.asp?value=006B&cat_id=051&type_id=419 to have and to hold. :D

Amistad
PS. Sorry, couldn't figure out the syntax to embed the URL in that sentence.

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
Well, see- you didn't say the lady of the house had a say-so in the decision. The Browning is a good shooter, nothing wrong with shopping for the one that is right for the ocassion. That's half the fun! Good shooting - jh

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.