Ruger Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Ruger SBH magnum hunter the stainless job and I have a silver finished Leupold 2.5 x 8 pistol scope on it. I have a black Uncle mikes (see link) over the shoulder holster to carry it in the field. The holster has a snap down flap that secures the gun very well but the holster is made out of a very stiff black material (nylon?) and when I holster or un-holster the gun it feels rough. I am worried it is going to destroy the finish on my scope. Does anyone have any experience with these holsters and scopes?
Thank you for reading.

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
There has to be a better holster out there than an Uncle Mike's.
Nothing personal, but I can't understand how folk spend good money on a handgun and then cheap out on a holster.
All my holsters are either purpose/custom built or made specifically for the handgun.
Of course the equation changes somewhat when the handgun is scoped.

·
Registered
8 Posts
While I don't carry a scoped pistol, I have carried rifles in scabbards myself and for my hunting clients when I guided quite a lot. Nylon or man made seems tougher on finishes (and horses) than leather. I really do think a good quality leather holster would help.
Having said that, they all wear the finish off to a degree.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
James6591 not taking it personal and I agree with what you are saying. I had every intention of buying a nice rig to carry this gun in. I didn’t buy the Uncle Mikes to save money I got the Uncle Mikes because I couldn’t find anything else that would hold the Hunter Magnum with a scope. Believe me the scope I put on the gun was north of five hundred dollars, cheap was not the idea.
I hear guys saying the wear will give it character, I say screw that. If it gradually got some wear over years of use that would be one thing. But to have a brand new scope beat to hell with the finish sanded off the front bell would be disheartening.
If someone could tell me where I could get a different carry rig my gun the information would be well received
Thanks again for reading.

·
Banned
402 Posts
The Ruger 44 mag hunter is a hard pistol to find a skin for. It's like it was forgotten about.
Ruger sent me a Hunter holster made by Galco, Said it was theeee holster for the pistol. (No scope) Had to soften the holster, custom fit the pistol and then re-stiffen it.
I think at this point custom is about the only option, $$$$

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If it needs to be custom then so be it,,, with that said I have never purchased a custom holster so any and all input welcome. Who to buy from and how do I make sure I get a good fit and features?

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
James6591 not taking it personal and I agree with what you are saying. I had every intention of buying a nice rig to carry this gun in. I didn’t buy the Uncle Mikes to save money I got the Uncle Mikes because I couldn’t find anything else that would hold the Hunter Magnum with a scope. Believe me the scope I put on the gun was north of five hundred dollars, cheap was not the idea.I hear guys saying the wear will give it character, I say screw that. If it gradually got some wear over years of use that would be one thing. But to have a brand new scope beat to hell with the finish sanded off the front bell would be disheartening.
If someone could tell me where I could get a different carry rig my gun the information would be well received
Thanks again for reading.
I'm hearing you. :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts