Ruger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
6,915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have known some people to buy a gun, "for protection", and never shoot it. They don't care about shooting it. It lives in a desk drawer.

I am considering the possibility that I may at some point find myself with nowhere to shoot. I can't afford my local indoor range, already. The outdoor is Forest Service, and who knows how their funding could change?

The range area has had fires three times this year, luckily not too close to the range itself. I'm wondering what, if the range ever burned?

Plus, it's a 40 minute drive mostly up a twisty mountain road, officially a state highway, so that's gas with wear and tear I may think better of, if my budget gets any tighter.

I may just need a big desk drawer.

·
Ausmerican.
42,713 Posts
I can only shoot at a dedicated range.
I don't get to shoot as many rounds as you guys.
Not much use having them, if you can't shoot them.
May as well go back to collecting stamps.

·
Retired Moderator & Jazz Nerd
16,360 Posts
BC ... I'm fortunate that I'm able to shoot at the range a couple of times per week. Beyond that though, I do drawing & dry fire exercises in my basement each week in an effort to stay sharp. Accordingly, in answer to your question, while I would be very disappointed :(, if I were unable to shoot live rounds for some period of time, I would still carry daily, practice in the basement and keep my guns (I'd also likely build an airsoft range in the basement ;))

·
Registered
556 Posts
A few steps from my back door I have a 50 yard range, it's open 24/7/365 without that I would have fewer guns for sure, but I would still have some.

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
Well, for sure it has impacted my choice of guns. I wanted an M1-A for forever, but I have NO place to really shoot it. We have several indoor ranges locally, so I have been active with the handguns and 22rimfires!

This will not prompt me to sell what I have though......!

·
Registered
5,006 Posts
bearcatter, I've been there and elected not to own guns and shoot when I lived in Chicago for six years. Just getting a gun was a major hassle and it was darn expensive to shoot at the few ranges available. It darn near killed me, though. The minute I got out of the big city, I started building up my gun collection, again. Peace and contentment were restored, immediately. As much as you like guns and shooting, you'd be miserable. I sure was.

·
finder of holes
186 Posts
I can only shoot at a dedicated range.
I don't get to shoot as many rounds as you guys.
Not much use having them, if you can't shoot them.
May as well go back to collecting stamps.
James, how many rounds are you restricted to? How does it work over there? Personally I'd go nuts if I couldn't go out to the desert to shoot. It's so stress relieving. You need to move to the USA James :)

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
I get pleasure from the visual appeal of firearms, knives too. I like holding them and inspecting the workmanship and knowing if called upon, they will be useful. I can't imagine not shooting them, but it could happen. I would still keep them.

Maybe a new range will open up closer to you or one that is cheaper. Could you find a buddy to go with to share driving/gas cost? Are you sure there are no other Gun Clubs around? I belong to two that cost under $40 a year. Maybe I don't know how good I've got it.

·
Registered
6,450 Posts
Our nice indoor club range moved to a new location about 1/2 hour drive from my home. However, I live in a rural subdivision, so I can drive about ten minutes to a small gravel pit where I can shoot centerfire. And I shoot .22 in my garage at a nice little 7-10 yard "bullet trap" range. I feel for those of you that have lost, or never had, relative convenience to shooting.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
...I am considering the possibility that I may at some point find myself with nowhere to shoot. I can't afford my local indoor range, already. The outdoor is Forest Service, and who knows how their funding could change?
For about a year I couldn't get to the range or the woods to shoot so I improvised and a small range in my apartment and blasted away with my adult power pellet rifle.

None of my neighbors ever complained, and I had a good time. :)

Yes I would still keep my firearms because living conditions can change and if not, they still make a good investment and can be sold for cash in a pinch.

·
Registered
6,617 Posts
A few different points of view for me personally...
First, if I "grew up" without guns or the knowledge thereof it would be a slam dunk. I probably wouldn't own any guns since I would have no interest so not having a place to shoot would be a non-issue.

Secondly, the reality of it is I have guns, the knowledge thereof and I love the shooting sports. I would find a place to shoot if there's one to be found. The outdoor range I below to is a 35 mile round trip drive from my house. I don't mind the drive as it gives me time to mentally prepare for my day at the range. The drive home I use to review my day as to it's successes or failures. But in any case, yes, I would still own guns.

·
Registered
824 Posts
I'd at least still have something for SD&HD and some form of SHTF/bugout survival weapon. In a hypothetical situation where range access was cut off I'd still not want to be defenseless in my own home.

·
Administrator
23,657 Posts
I'm retired and don't shoot nearly as much as I would like too and the range is close by. Go figure. When we travel I bring a few handguns and if I plan to hunt a rifle or two and/or a shotgun or two. I would never be without a firearm and at this point in my life I wouldn't live where I couldn't shoot.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
In oz you pretty much have to justify a why before ownership permit & SD is not an option on the form. More often country folk can say vermin control but city lads will find joining a club and saying for sporting target use will get it over the line permit wise.
Hand gunners need to work through a tougher system and be members of a club and shoot a pescribed amount each year to retain ticket. i think? James can confirm that,,

me I had 400 arce when started up but sold that now. I still have easy access to 180 arces for bunnies and my small bore club is only 10 minutes drive away my full bore 30m theres a shot gun 15m and if I wanna go hand gun a good well set up club is only 15m away so its all good for me.

·
Registered
5,501 Posts
I would keep one gun for self defense even if there was no range to shoot it.
Being an older guy I feel defenseless without a loaded firearm at home.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.