Ruger Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw this in one or our Australian gun classifies. Is this model really that rare?

Tell me what you guys think!

how to screen capture

·
Registered
17 Posts
My biggest regret is selling my 6" stainless Python. The mortgage had to be paid. Less then 3 years later it has over doubled in value. Was in way better condition then that one above.

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
That's a way's too much money for my wallet, for any gun...

If I spent $4,000 on a gun my wife would have me committed...(again!!!:D)

·
Administrator
22,283 Posts
I like snub nosed revolvers and I like Colts but not that much.

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
17,140 Posts
I sold my 6" blued Python (LNIB) for $2500 and a 8" blued Python for $2k. In the states, the 2 1/2" Stainless would probably fetch at least 3k bucks (USD). Are they worth it? No, not unless you are a collector of high end guns. They do manage to go up in value every year. Right now I'm sitting on a 8" Anaconda ... hoping to get about 2.5k.

·
17,140 Posts
twodog max, Not likely ... seems there are more gun collectors every year but fewer guns available since Colt stopped making them. Colts are no exception .... seems any time a particular gun gets discontinued, the value goes up and up. Take a look at some of the Old Model Rugers or better yet, an Old Model Hawkeye ... that will set you back a small fortune.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Some people just have more dollars than sense :rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
High dollar guns, those guys can have at 'em........

Wish I was born rich instead of so damn handsome lol well, I guess not so handsome, got a raw deal I guess lol

My GP100's work just fine for me........sure I could probably sell 6 or 7 of them and buy a Python, I'd rather keep the 6 or 7 GP100's.......

Old Colts are like classic American 1960's muscle cars, in good, original condition........there will ALWAYS be demand and no more are being made. In 50 years people will still want '66 GTO's, and they will still want 1st Gen Single Action Army's and Pythons.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
I remember seeing a article back in the late 70's or early 80's where firearms was #2 on investment returns for value. Coins was #1.

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
I sold my 6" blued Python (LNIB) for $2500 and a 8" blued Python for $2k. In the states, the 2 1/2" Stainless would probably fetch at least 3k bucks (USD). Are they worth it? No, not unless you are a collector of high end guns. They do manage to go up in value every year. Right now I'm sitting on a 8" Anaconda ... hoping to get about 2.5k.
2.5 short years ago I ALMOST let my 6" anaconda go for $900 on a trade but couldn't do it. They have done nothing but climb in value. It kinda leaves me a bit stunned at the $ they command.

·
Registered
805 Posts
twodog max, Not likely ... seems there are more gun collectors every year but fewer guns available since Colt stopped making them. Colts are no exception .... seems any time a particular gun gets discontinued, the value goes up and up. Take a look at some of the Old Model Rugers or better yet, an Old Model Hawkeye ... that will set you back a small fortune.
You might be right but long term interests seem to fade with time. Take Model 12 Winchester for example. Twenty years back they commanded outrageous prices if you could find one. Now they are easy to find and some variations are cheaper then they were then. It may take a while but I think at some point the market will settle at a lower price point. They will always be more than what they sold for new but at what level who knows. I just wish I had all my Diamondbacks still. I loved my Colts but they were like a fine watch and were prone to timing problems and not a robust as Ruger and S&W revolvers. Fine firearms they just took some pampering.

·
17,140 Posts
twodog max, The used gun market gets crazy sometimes. All it takes is a movie such as "Dirty Harry" to make a gun (S&W Mod 29) famous, scarce, and expensive. Well after the movie lost popularity, Mod 29s were back to a normal price. In recent years, it seems like all it takes for gun values to go up is when a specific brand is discontinued. This is especially true with virtually all guns with the little horsey (Colt) and most models of Winchester rifles and shotguns. In my area, Mod 12 Winchester shotguns still bring a premium compared to other brands of pump shotguns ... but not as much as they were a few months after Winchester locked their doors. The same is true for Mod 94 rifles. Remember when the assault rifle ban was in effect? The cheapest used AR-15 was going for at least $1500 and now you can buy a brand new Ruger AR 556 for $600. At one time I owned a little Ruger Bearcat 22 SA revolver. I paid $49 for it brand new in 1968 and watched the value climb to $400, 20 years after it was discontinued. When Ruger reintroduced the Bearcat about 21 years after it was discontinued, the value of my old model Bearcat dropped to $250 and is now back up to $350.

In today's gun market, if Colt ever went back in production and made Pythons, Diamond Backs, Anacondas, etc, you would see those crazy $2k+ prices drop considerably ... but they would still be worth a lot more than their list price as of when they went out of production.

When you get into true "collectables" such as Old Model Ruger SA revolvers, the value just keeps going up every year and will continue the same future trend. Reason being, the "Old Model" will never be made again. We are seeing the values of pre-MIM S&W revolvers and "JM" Marlin lever rifles go through the roof for the same reason.

Nearly all guns increase in value proportional to the MSRP of new guns. In other words, if a new current production gun increases in price by $100, the same model used gun will increase by about $75. If the gun happens to be a scarce model, it can easily sell for more than a brand new similar model. That said, you can get burned on the "trendy" guns such as some semi-auto models. As soon as a new model replaces the old model, the value drops considerably. Ruger "P" guns are a classic example and Ruger "SR" series (except for the SR1911) will likely follow the same trend as will LC series pistols.

·
Registered
805 Posts
I agree. If anyone ever can predict what the gun market is going to do next they need to see me about my stock portfolio:D

Just recently as in this past July I bought a rifle on Gunbroker mostly because I wanted to try it. It was used but LNIB. I played with it a few months and decided to move it along. It just was not what I wanted but thought I did. When I got it the rifle had been weeks without a bid. I put it on GB with a buy now of $50.00 more than I had in it and it sold in less than 12 hours. Go figure. The marketplace is totally unpredictable.

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Guns as an "investment" is sketchy at best. There is no guarantee that they will hold their value. It's all based on the market at the time.

High end muscle cars did the same thing and now there a bunch of guys with cars that they dropped a million to buy and can't get half that back.

Something is WORTH, what somebody is willing to pay. So is that Colt WORTH that money......NO, will somebody who just has to have it pay that?........maybe.

If it was the 3" Combat Commander at that price..........would probably already be gone

1 - 19 of 19 Posts